NFL Potentially Looking To Have Games 7 Nights A Week, Own Every Primetime Slot | Pat McAfee Reacts

I don't mind the idea if only they could execute it correctly - meaning extend the duration of the season so that no team is ever forced to play on a short week. 

Basically allow 20 or 21 weeks to play a 17 game schedule.  

Florio said this.  He did not attribute it to anyone in the league office.

While I do not doubt the thought has crossed the minds of the owners, the physical demand will not allow it.  Plus, the NFLPA would probably put a kabosh on it.  

The NFL would become the NBA with the star players missing a quarter of the season for 'load management'.

5 hours ago, Copernicus said:

With all the criticism from current and former player plus the quality (or lack of) of THursday night games I cant see how this happens

It will happen because the union is corrupted and is serving the owners instead of the players...just a microcosm of every union in the country these days.

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Lmao how can so many say this here but we have an entire thread of people dragging Lamar for asking for what he’s worth from these slimy bastards.

Lmao many of you here suck I’m sorry 

I never once said anything negative about Lamar. I think this comment directed at me sucks, frankly.

24 minutes ago, undertow said:

It will happen because the union is corrupted and is serving the owners instead of the players...just a microcosm of every union in the country these days.

Just seems like a huge leap when there is already tons of criticism for the quality of Thursday night. I think it would be a difficult sell to players and fans

13 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Just seems like a huge leap when there is already tons of criticism for the quality of Thursday night. I think it would be a difficult sell to players and fans

I don't think that matters when there's 100's of billions of dollars in streaming packages on the table.

4 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Lmao how can so many say this here but we have an entire thread of people dragging Lamar for asking for what he’s worth from these slimy bastards.

Lmao many of you here suck I’m sorry 

You have no critical thinking skills....NFL bad players good is how your brain works and your lizard brain opinions follow. lol

1 hour ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

Putting NFL games on TV on Friday nights? That would be awful for high school football.

I don't see how a Jags-Titans on a Friday Night is going to change one thing about how small Texas communities supports their high school teams. 

18 hours ago, y2k8 said:

I don't see how a Jags-Titans on a Friday Night is going to change one thing about how small Texas communities supports their high school teams. 

It won't.  But it would impact the TV ratings for said Friday night NFL game, because that is how big High School football games on Friday nights are, and not just in Texas.

Even the NFL isn't dumb enough to try to compete with HS ball.  Especially since that is the start of their talent pipeline.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

It won't.  But it would impact the TV ratings for said Friday night NFL game, because that is how big High School football games on Friday nights are, and not just in Texas.

Who cares? The NFL will be the highest rated show of any night they choose to broadcast. And not by a little but by a metric ton. It is the single most valuable content property in America.

Also HS football isn't exclusively played on Friday nights. Not that it matters to the NFL (or college football).

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

Who cares? The NFL will be the highest rated show of any night they choose to broadcast. And not by a little but by a metric ton. It is the single most valuable content property in America.

Also HS football isn't exclusively played on Friday nights. Not that it matters to the NFL (or college football).

I imagine the NFL cares, which is why they aren't going to do this.  lol.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What do you mean?  HS Football isn't a TV product, and students/parents will still go for their kids. 

What is there to kill here?  Not seeing the problem.

Actually under the law it is, as I recall.

These were the FCC deals -- again, I'm going off the top of my head, so I may have this all wrong, but it's easily researchable I'm sure.

1. Football on TV on Fridays = reserved for HS
  2. Football on TV on Saturdays = reserved for college (until the college season ends)
  3. Football on TV on Sundays = reserved for NFL

Then came Monday nights, then Thursday nights, etc.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Actually under the law it is, as I recall.

These were the FCC deals -- again, I'm going off the top of my head, so I may have this all wrong, but it's easily researchable I'm sure.

1. Football on TV on Fridays = reserved for HS
  2. Football on TV on Saturdays = reserved for college (until the college season ends)
  3. Football on TV on Sundays = reserved for NFL

Then came Monday nights, then Thursday nights, etc.

Sounds like what I remember as well, but doesn't really answer what is being killed or how it kills H.S. Football, which isn't a product, isn't on real TV (Community access doesn't count) and is mostly for fellow students and their families, not a TV watching population.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, y2k8 said:

What about a Cowboys - Texans game?  Or are they just never going to schedule Texas NFL teams on Friday nights?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Sounds like what I remember as well, but doesn't really answer what is being killed or how it kills H.S. Football, which isn't a product, isn't on real TV (Community access doesn't count) and is mostly for fellow students and their families, not a TV watching population.

Oh no I agree totally i's not killing HS football, but in terms of TV that was the deal; that there's no broadcasting of NFL games on Friday nights.

The NFL gets something, too. Or they did when it was first banged out. The other side of that deal is/was that other football games can't be broadcast opposite NFL games on Sundays (and presumably Monday nights, too). Now of course, these days with NFL being the #1 TV sport HS/NCAA wouldn't do so by choice, as it'd just mean fewer eyeballs for their non-NFL game. But think if the national championship was on a Sunday, opposite week 17/18 games. The people who lose are the tv spectators, which is presumably why the gov't gets involved.

Then again, that was back when everything was over the air, so who even knows if that's a thing anymore; maybe their way around it is just to not have it on any over the air channels since the FCC's in charge of that in the most direct way.

Anyway, spermbabble over. Carry on, lol.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

What do you mean?  HS Football isn't a TV product, and students/parents will still go for their kids. 

What is there to kill here?  Not seeing the problem.

People in the town can either go to their local high school game on Friday night or they can stay home at watch an NFL game. I am guessing you lose the attendance of anyone who isn't a parent of a player at high school games.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

This is thinking about high school football solely from a TV perspective. I was thinking in terms of how the NFL on TV would impact attendance at high school games, or vice versa. At places where HS football is king, that might put a dent in NFL viewership. In places where HS football is solid but not on the "Texas level," NFL games on TV on Friday nights would definitely hurt the high school game at the gates.

1 hour ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

People in the town can either go to their local high school game on Friday night or they can stay home at watch an NFL game. I am guessing you lose the attendance of anyone who isn't a parent of a player at high school games.

So.....like two people?

• WTF? 1