OBJ reportedly lowers asking price to $15 mil per year

AFJF

So in all likelihood he probably was looking for around 20 earlier. 15 you say? Yeah, no thanks. Older, coming off rehab the entire previous season (he relies on speed so injuries are very important), and he's a douche both on and off the field. Unless AR is dead set on playing with OBJ and takes a large chunk of his salary off the books to pay for OBJ no thanks. He's only played two full 16 game seasons which is part of the reason why his career stats aren't anything special. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BeckOd00.htm

5 hours ago, Green Truth said:

He will not get 15 million from any team unless they are desperate. It will be at most 10 million.  He has not played in over a year coming off a second straight ACL to the same knee.

$10 million?  My guess he would be lucky to get $5 million, and even that I think is a bit high.  He only gets these numbers because of his name.  That said, if a team is desperate enough....

I wish him luck with that.  He played for LA for $1.25MM in 2021.  My understanding is he has a standing offer with LA for $4MM.  I would be fine with that as a base with incentives.  Otherwise, just draft a receiver.  

Our receiver group is fine.  Wilson is a stud.  Lazard is Rodgers favorite target and owner of 14 TD's in the last two years.  Corey Davis, when healthy, is a real tough cover at #3 and a solid downfield blocker.  Hardman is a dangerous #4, trick play guy.  Mims is a big body and solid downfield blocker.

If Beckham doesn't like it, spend the money on a center, DT, LB, free safety. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JETS SB said:

6.5 with incentives that can make it 10-12 tops and the max would mean he would need 8-10 TDs or 1,000 yds. 

I would also write the contract to allow for a 2nd year team option with same incentives. 

No I agree with @Sperm Edwardson this 100%. Can’t have his incentives he stats. Bc he’ll be an issue just like Moore was about being misused not enough targets etc.

So make his bonus games played. Why he won’t worth as much isn’t his skill. It’s his health. So he plays 17 games and stays healthy you’ll get the stats. If he plays 6 games and tears his acl. We didn’t have to pay him a ton. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

No I agree with @Sperm Edwardson this 100%. Can’t have his incentives he stats. Bc he’ll be an issue just like Moore was about being misused not enough targets etc.

So make his bonus games played. Why he won’t worth as much isn’t his skill. It’s his health. So he plays 17 games and stays healthy you’ll get the stats. If he plays 6 games and tears his acl. We didn’t have to pay him a ton. 

I get why you want it to be that way, but injuries happen. Maybe add the 17 games as an 3rd either/or. I cant see the Jets giving a pure incentive on games played, nor would I ever believe OBJ would accept a deal based upon games played.

2 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

I get why you want it to be that way, but injuries happen. Maybe add the 17 games as an 3rd either/or. I cant see the Jets giving a pure incentive on games played, nor would I ever believe OBJ would accept a deal based upon games played.

He’s created this though. So he has to understand that.

He has 2 torn acls in 3 years. So the games played, he has to know is an issue.

And he has to know he’s been selfish in the past. So to attach Me stats to his pay is a recipe for disaster.

Maybe make a chunk of the incentives games played and make the remains stat driven.

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

Worth it or not?

From Albert Breer Column:

Aaron Rodgers trade should happen soon due to the GMs involved - Sports Illustrated

Word before his appearance at the Arizona Biltmore on Tuesday was that Odell Beckham Jr. was looking for something in the neighborhood of $15 million per year. That’s down from where he was previously, so I do think there’s room for negotiation here, and I do think showing up at the hotel where the owners’ meetings were taking place was a savvy move from a business standpoint.

I would sign him for a year with an option year

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He’s created this though. So he has to understand that.

He has 2 torn acls in 3 years. So the games played, he has to know is an issue.

And he has to know he’s been selfish in the past. So to attach Me stats to his pay is a recipe for disaster.

Maybe make a chunk of the incentives games played and make the remains stat driven.

I get that, but if he plays 6 games and then he is out for the season with an injury, he isnt reaching any of the incentives. If he plays 17 games, he is 99% getting 1,000 yards with Rodgers slinging it. So, I don't see the issue. I write contracts, not necessarily exactly like this, but the more incentive options to choose from, the more player friendly it becomes. Starting it at 6.5 is probably going to be lower than some of the other teams, so the incentives are the key.

Just my opinion, but being realistic to what I have seen.

1 minute ago, JETS SB said:

I get that, but if he plays 6 games and then he is out for the season with an injury, he isnt reaching any of the incentives. If he plays 17 games, he is 99% getting 1,000 yards with Rodgers slinging it. So, I don't see the issue. I write contracts, not necessarily exactly like this, but the more incentive options to choose from, the more player friendly it becomes. Starting it at 6.5 is probably going to be lower than some of the other teams, so the incentives are the key.

Just my opinion, but being realistic to what I have seen.

But the players character has to be considered. You give a non head case WR an incentive deal with stats, no problem. Bc you don’t have to worry about them being selfish. You have no reason to think they would based on anything they’ve done in the past.

So it being OBJ and tying stats to his pay. For me is a recipe for disaster. You think OBJ goes a 3 game stretch with only a couple catches each of those games and less than 50yds and no TDs. You think he’s going to stay quiet? No way.

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But the players character has to be considered. You give a non head case WR an incentive deal with stats, no problem. Bc you don’t have to worry about them being selfish. You have no reason to think they would based on anything they’ve done in the past.

So it being OBJ and tying stats to his pay. For me is a recipe for disaster. You think OBJ goes a 3 game stretch with only a couple catches each of those games and less than 50yds and no TDs. You think he’s going to stay quiet? No way.

I hear what you are saying, but nearly every WR complains about targets. OBJ's issues have been magnified because he is OBJ. But think about the circumstances and the incentive options. In what scenario, would he play 17 games and not reach one of the other incentives? If his only incentive is to play 17 games and he is partially injured and playing less than 100%, to meet his incentive, then you are hurting the team more. OBJ and Rodgers are close. I don't see a scenario where we are playing in game 13, where he is going to be a cancer to the team because of targets. I think there is a completely different vibe with Rodgers.

For instance, last year, Christian Watson had a chance to break a record for rookie WRs. The game was out of reach, but Rodgers still tried to get Watson the ball, several times, to help him get the record. At one point, Watson ran a bad route and Rodgers looked at him and smiled. Rodgers knew exactly what the player wanted and did what he can to make it happen.

Point being, many might not like Aaron Rodgers coming here. Many might not like him as a person. But when he is out there on the field, he knows EXACTLY what needs to happen. OBJ has never played with someone like Rodgers and one of the reasons he wants to play with Rodgers. 

And I think OBJ is one of the most respected teammates in the NFL. The entire selfish thing has been so overblown. WRs are divas. Nearly all of them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JETS SB said:

I hear what you are saying, but nearly every WR complains about targets. OBJ's issues have been magnified because he is OBJ. But think about the circumstances and the incentive options. In what scenario, would he play 17 games and not reach one of the other incentives? If his only incentive is to play 17 games and he is partially injured and playing less than 100%, to meet his incentive, then you are hurting the team more. OBJ and Rodgers are close. I don't see a scenario where we are playing in game 13, where he is going to be a cancer to the team because of targets. I think there is a completely different vibe with Rodgers.

For instance, last year, Christian Watson had a chance to break a record for rookie WRs. The game was out of reach, but Rodgers still tried to get Watson the ball, several times, to help him get the record. At one point, Watson ran a bad route and Rodgers looked at him and smiled. Rodgers knew exactly what the player wanted and did what he can to make it happen.

Point being, many might not like Aaron Rodgers coming here. Many might not like him as a person. But when he is out there on the field, he knows EXACTLY what needs to happen. OBJ has never played with someone like Rodgers and one of the reasons he wants to play with Rodgers. 

And I think OBJ if one of the most respected teammates in the NFL. The entire selfish thing has been so overblown. WRs are divas. Nearly all of them.

I do think WR antics lower with a respected QB. So I do agree there. But OBJ is just different. I know he respects AR. But money talks for these guys more than respect. 

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Sorry for the screenshot. I used to be good at the internet in 2007 lol. 

C7A6075B-DFC2-439C-AEA2-8FD4EC9BA8A0.png

Haha. Ya I feel like we’ve been the favorite for him for awhile now.

His contract isn’t an easy one. So it’s not as simple as we want you, you want us money is close let’s get a deal done. He also probably wants to make sure AR is coming. I mean we can tell FAs all we want that a deal will get done. But until it happens. Anything can happen. So a guy like Lazard signing his deal is a big risk he took. Given we paid him. But we have Teddy Bridgewater let’s say at QB, you think he even considers us? No way. Same likely goes for Hardman as well.

Thats why I think we do need to get a dela done asap with AR. Figure out how we want to possibly move money around with him and see what our cap looks like. To possibly bring in guys like OBJ, Ford, Jones, Kwon and such.

• Upvote 1