Report: Jets Deal for Aaron Rodgers Likely to Happen Prior to NFL Draft

6 hours ago, slats said:

I’d say by the second day of the draft, anyway. I’m the Buddha when it comes to patience in this matter. It’s going to happen, it’s only a matter of when. I also would not be surprised to learn in the end that it was Joe Douglas driving the hard bargain, not the Packers. I’m not too worried about the draft compensation, and I’ll look at the contract numbers again when all the dust settles. A lot of the wait, almost certainly, is tied to all the money involved.  

Another possibility I was thinking about is this. Say JD has been extremely firm. And GB has already agreed to a trade package which is FAR less than anything that has been reported. If that is so it could be that GB is in the midst of a long term media plan to handle the reaction :

"Rodgers is not returning calls"

" We want to do what is best for Aaron and the Packers"

"We don't necessarily need a one"

and then gradually add in more softening statements. 

Then maybe even do the trade during the draft:

"we really wanted more than just the single 2nd round pick we got from the Jets, but Player X was at the Top of our board, a high first round grade even, and we just felt it better to go up and grab Player X who we feel is worth more than the extra picks we might have gotten from NY"

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JetNation said:

Aaron-Rodgers-2-scaled.jpg

While Jets fans sit and wonder when the team’s deal for Aaron Rodgers is likely to go down, one of the league’s most plugged in reporters has offered his best guess.

In his latest column for Sports Illustrated, Albert Breer says he expects a deal to go down prior to the NFL draft.  Breer’s assumption makes sense as waiting until after the draft would almost certainly mean the picks in each round received by the Packers would be lower than this year’s.

What will that deal look like? If I had to guess, I’d put it at either the 42nd or 43rd pick, and a conditional pick or picks down the line. And to answer your question directly, I think it could happen as early as this week, and certainly will get done before the draft. So have patience, Jets fans—your quarterback is coming.

Breer also offers his best guess in what the deal will look like in suggesting the Jets will include either pick 43 or 43 in this year’s draft, along with a conditional pick next season.  This would be in line with a recent report suggesting a similar package.

The post Report: Jets Deal for Aaron Rodgers Likely to Happen Prior to NFL Draft appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

Green bay really working their pr network . No matter howany time they say it we ain't given up anything more than a conditional 3rd...or at least we shouldn't 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Another possibility I was thinking about is this. Say JD has been extremely firm. And GB has already agreed to a trade package which is FAR less than anything that has been reported. If that is so it could be that GB is in the midst of a long term media plan to handle the reaction :

"Rodgers is not returning calls"

" We want to do what is best for Aaron and the Packers"

"We don't necessarily need a one"

and then gradually add in more softening statements. 

Then maybe even do the trade during the draft:

"we really wanted more than just the single 2nd round pick we got from the Jets, but Player X was at the Top of our board, a high first round grade even, and we just felt it better to go up and grab Player X who we feel is worth more than the extra picks we might have gotten from NY"

How the hell they going to get Joe to give them a second? Second round is our two lineman picks for aaron

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Yeah, but how did the house affect your salary cap, and was it threatening to retire? Was it haunted, and if so did it tell the realtor that it wanted new owners?

The trip to my son's school would have been a daily nightmare if we did not sell the house and move.   I rationally should have taken the best initial offer and not

risked them walking.  But I figured out who the buyer was, understood the market and knew they would pony up a bit more to make the deal work.  

But had they walked, my life, and my wife's (therefore mine again) would have been very bad.  

4 hours ago, varjet said:

11 years ago we decided to move so my son would be closer to his new school.  We invested an enormous amount in renovating a 1920 house.    Everything was top of the line, worked perfectly.  In a community of older Money Pits, it was a perfect family house.  The market was ok.   The realtor gave us a realistic but slightly aggressive target price.  '

There was emotion involved.  We/I was NOT selling the house below a certain number.  I told my wife we would stay put unless we got the price. 

Only one buyer was interested, and they tried to low ball.  I would not budge.  They would not budge.  I knew they really wanted our house and there was nothing better.  They conceded, pay us our minimum, and we sold the house.  They are still there.  

I think GB is me 11 years ago. 

now imagine the same scenario but you had a $58M balloon payment on your mortgage due the week after Labor Day.   

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Packers met JD at the owners meeting...
12dac2a951e68240c1ebd7936fb9408a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Put another way, if the two GMs (and their owners) are basically trying to keep their "customers" happy (fans), we saw on a poll here that the overwhelming majority of Jet fans want JD/Woody to stand firm and not pay GB too much for Rodgers, particularly 13.

My guess is that a similar poll of Packer fans would show that Packer fans do not want to "give away" Rodgers for less compensation than other top QBs have been traded for (even if the facts here are worse for the Packers).  

So maybe two big rocks is the better picture.