My 14 year old son has to get Cardiac Catheterization

Last weekend, I was sitting and having a cup of coffee and my 14 year old came out to the living room. I asked him how he slept, and he said, "Well, I guess OK but since my hearts racing so much my chest hurts now"..... Took his pulse and it was bounding, grabbed my stetson and his rate was well over 200 bpm.... Knowing how things work after 2+ decades in the business I told my wife we were going to the ER ASAP and wound up seeing my son get Adenosine administered. Not fun. He took it all in like the Champ he is. 

So after stabilization and observation, we followed up with the Pediatric Cardiologist.... who is a good friend of my old Med Director. Thankfully,  it's not WPW, but he has SVT from an abnormal conduction pathway in his Atria....so now we have to bring him to the Cath Lab for a damn ablation. This is a kid who is in the Spectrum, has Myers-Gunn reflex, and hyper-pronated ankles, and now he gets to deal with this....

Count your blessings and hug your kids and be glad for their health. Meanwhile, I get sideeye and snide looks from people when they ask me what sport my son plays, and I'm like, well, he's not really into sports....

Connor is the toughest guy I know. 

20230322_133156.thumb.jpg.0b0442eeb6f442a50ce81c460c9d908d.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 15

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I don't sleep anymore... thank you.

I m just the scared Dad, Connor Is the tough guy.

Thanks man, all ❤️ 

Nothing worse watching a child going through something like this, especially unexpectedly like that. Recently went through it with one of my daughters when she got  a compression  fracture in her a spine and they found it was a tumor that weakened the vertebral body during an MRI. Thank heavens it was benign and a year later she is clear. 

The bright side here is you knew exactly what to do quickly and the kid has you as an Old man. From you and your Dad Connor comes from good stock and will come through this like a champ. You guys are in my heart and prayers brother. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 4

Your son is very lucky to have an advocate like you in his corner.

You love and knowledge gives him the best chance for a full rcovery.

This brings to mind that If we can be anything be a kind person to other people.

You just never know what burden they carry.

• Post of the Week 1

On 3/30/2023 at 10:56 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Last weekend, I was sitting and having a cup of coffee and my 14 year old came out to the living room. I asked him how he slept, and he said, "Well, I guess OK but since my hearts racing so much my chest hurts now"..... Took his pulse and it was bounding, grabbed my stetson and his rate was well over 200 bpm.... Knowing how things work after 2+ decades in the business I told my wife we were going to the ER ASAP and wound up seeing my son get Adenosine administered. Not fun. He took it all in like the Champ he is. 

So after stabilization and observation, we followed up with the Pediatric Cardiologist.... who is a good friend of my old Med Director. Thankfully,  it's not WPW, but he has SVT from an abnormal conduction pathway in his Atria....so now we have to bring him to the Cath Lab for a damn ablation. This is a kid who is in the Spectrum, has Myers-Gunn reflex, and hyper-pronated ankles, and now he gets to deal with this....

Count your blessings and hug your kids and be glad for their health. Meanwhile, I get sideeye and snide looks from people when they ask me what sport my son plays, and I'm like, well, he's not really into sports....

Connor is the toughest guy I know. 

20230322_133156.thumb.jpg.0b0442eeb6f442a50ce81c460c9d908d.jpg

So sorry he has to go through this. Keep us posted. He's a good looking boy, clearly takes after his Mom.

• Post of the Week 1

On 3/31/2023 at 3:45 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm just the scared Dad, Connor Is the tough guy.

Thanks man, all ❤️ 

And he is lucky to have you, your knowledge is amazing. Thank God you took him in so fast. Some symptoms are easy to dismiss, you know better. Connor will be in my prayers!

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

• 1 month later...

Wonderful to hear, all the best to you and your son - who sounds like he’s a rockstar.

Amazing things being done in cardiology now. Friend I grew up with had a serious heart problem and is now on his second transplant, still chugging away.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

So we're ending our 15 hour day here at Nicklaus Children's Hospital here in Miami. Connors ablation went perfectly, he is chilling In his room with me and my wife watching TV, having dinner and waiting to be discharged. Doc said it was a pretty straightforward case of SVT and the ablation should....SHOULD be the only thing he'll need to do for it. Connors bored and ready to go back to the Hotel. 

What a long but successful day...

Bored is good!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...