Wil Levis reportedly plummeting down draft boards

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Athletic’s Nate Tice just issued a fervent defense of Richardson as his QB1 and it hinged on the fact that Richardson rarely threw it short, which made his stats look worse. My thought was that drafting a guy that high who hasn’t shown proficiency making quick reads and getting the ball out is a recipe for disaster. Both Joe Burrow and Mahomes had a lower depth of target than Mike White last year. They guys at the top of that list were all bad or injured (Mariota, Fields, Tua, Josh Allen, etc). 

Yep.  Rarely making short throws isn’t a defense, it’s a red flag.  Richardson isn’t going to be able to just launch or run every play in the pros.  You can’t take a guy with no feel for that in the top 5, because the pressure will be on for him to see the field in year 1 and it’ll be disastrous when he does.  

The best QBs in the league have the “boring” short game down.  Hence why it was so ridiculous for Wilson defenders to try to excuse away his short throw inaccuracy for so long.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Rarely making short throws isn’t a defense, it’s a red flag.  Richardson isn’t going to be able to just launch or run every play in the pros.  You can’t take a guy with no feel for that in the top 5, because the pressure will be on for him to see the field in year 1 and it’ll be disastrous when he does.  

The best QBs in the league have the “boring” short game down.  Hence why it was so ridiculous for Wilson defenders to try to excuse away his short throw inaccuracy for so long.  

I remember that with Darnold—even in his good games, his short accuracy was always horrific. I think people are too Madden-centric and think that deep passing=good QBing, but great QBing is defined by being able to complete a bunch of third and eights consistently. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I remember that with Darnold—even in his good games, his short accuracy was always horrific. I think people are too Madden-centric and think that deep passing=good QBing, but great QBing is defined by being able to complete a bunch of third and eights consistently. 

Hell, even 3rd & 4s.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Feels like we're talking about Josh Allen all over again. I hated Josh Allen in 2018, and I loved Josh Rosen. lol

The same.

Josh Allen remains an all time outlier though — maybe we’ll see a trend of “traits” guys with zero production turning into great pros but I remain skeptical.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

They have been saying the same things about Zach for 2 years.

Yeah, and they fail to recognize that Wilson’s fatal flaw is not his accuracy but his pocket management. The accuracy doesn’t help, but him running around like a chicken with his head cut off as often as he does is the real problem.

• Sympathy 2

On 3/31/2023 at 12:46 AM, JETS SB said:

Articles say it appears to be an attitude and entitlement thing. Obviously we have been through this before but if he does indeed drop to us at 42/43, is it considered or does the fact he is 24 years old and its character thing, not worth the risk ? Its being said he has all the tools, 6’4” huge arm and mobile. 

It’s also being reported, maybe these reports are planted by team(s) that in fact want him. Either way, if he does indeed drop to day 2, trading up to the 3rd round seems like a low risk high reward pick. Thoughts ?

Is John Beck his trainer?

• Haha 2

On 3/31/2023 at 12:46 AM, JETS SB said:

Articles say it appears to be an attitude and entitlement thing. Obviously we have been through this before but if he does indeed drop to us at 42/43, is it considered or does the fact he is 24 years old and its character thing, not worth the risk ? Its being said he has all the tools, 6’4” huge arm and mobile. 

It’s also being reported, maybe these reports are planted by team(s) that in fact want him. Either way, if he does indeed drop to day 2, trading up to the 3rd round seems like a low risk high reward pick. Thoughts ?

Pass on Levis...Hooker moving up. Take him, let him learn this year IF AR is here then cut ZW after this season. Hooker is then the starter for 2024. 

10 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Pass on Levis...Hooker moving up. Take him, let him learn this year IF AR is here then cut ZW after this season. Hooker is then the starter for 2024. 

If it weren't for the Clemson Tigers sticker I would have sworn that you were Mike Tannenbaum with the way you are promoting Hendon Hooker. Just think how lucky we are that Tannenbaum doesn't have his hands in the Jets' draft room.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SoFlaJets said:

If it weren't for the Clemson Tigers sticker I would have sworn that you were Mike Tannenbaum with the way you are promoting Hendon Hooker. Just think how lucky we are that Tannenbaum doesn't have his hands in the Jets' draft room.

Actually, at this point I'd rather Tanenbaum be running the Jets draft than JD, who is intent on undoing the steady progress of building the roster in order to bring in an over the hill AR and filling the roster with his acolytes, which will sow dissension and disharmony in the locker room. As far as Hooker, I believe his age is a plus, he's a playmaker with an excellent upside. Build around him and let him flourish.in 2024.  And while we're at it, get his teammate WR Jalin Hyatt.

Whenever athletes and steroids come ip i always think of olympic sprint champion famed steroid user Ben Johnson and a late night comedian joke.

Ben Johnson was in the news because he had a fender bender and lost his cool dealing with the other guy in the accident. The comedian said he really felt for the other guy because “what was he gonna do? … run … from the fastest man in the world?”

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Actually, at this point I'd rather Tanenbaum be running the Jets draft than JD, who is intent on undoing the steady progress of building the roster in order to bring in an over the hill AR and filling the roster with his acolytes, which will sow dissension and disharmony in the locker room. As far as Hooker, I believe his age is a plus, he's a playmaker with an excellent upside. Build around him and let him flourish.in 2024.  And while we're at it, get his teammate WR Jalin Hyatt.

Yea two rookie of the year draftees prove Douglas shouldn't have anything to do with the process

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

I don't see the Jets drafting a QB that high unless they end up trading Zach. Right now they have 3 QBs on the roster, Zach, Strev and Boyle. With Rodgers that makes 4 which is normally what they take into training camp. They could sign a UFA after the draft or even draft a QB who they like and falls in the later rounds. If Levis or Hooker falls to 13 it could give Jets a chance to trade down.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't see the Jets drafting a QB that high unless they end up trading Zach. Right now they have 3 QBs on the roster, Zach, Strev and Boyle. With Rodgers that makes 4 which is normally what they take into training camp. They could sign a UFA after the draft or even draft a QB who they like and falls in the later rounds. If Levis or Hooker falls to 13 it could give Jets a chance to trade down.

You mean we have .5 qbs on the roster.  Boyle.

• 2 weeks later...

If we have a management team that is afraid to draft a quarterback, we need a new management team.  I don't know enough about Levi to know his potential.  If the scouting says he is a potential Josh Allen, they should take him.  If they hesitate for any other reason than their evaluation of the player, they have to go.

The simple fact is teams with young franchise quarterbacks on 5 year rookie contracts are all serious contenders for the super bowl.  They enjoy the luxury of $30+ MM more cap space to build their team.  Rodgers has been a HOF quarterback.  What can we expect at 39-40-41?  Plus, the effort will destroy the 2025 and 2026 cap with $35MM dead cap per year.

There is nothing like hitting on a franchise quarterback to change a franchise trajectory for 15 years.  Ask the Patriots, Chiefs, Eagles, Bengals, etc.  When they hit, they are at the top of the food chain and stay there for a long time.  We know what happens when your team misses.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Will Levis, Antony Richardson, CJ Stroud is plummeting down the draft boards!

The conventional wisdom by Wednesday night is going to end up being: 1. Young 2. Levis 3. Stroud/Hooker 4. Hooker/Stroud 5. Richardson. Interview sessions must have been pretty damning in some cases. 

13 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

If we have a management team that is afraid to draft a quarterback, we need a new management team.  I don't know enough about Levi to know his potential.  If the scouting says he is a potential Josh Allen, they should take him.  If they hesitate for any other reason than their evaluation of the player, they have to go.

The simple fact is teams with young franchise quarterbacks on 5 year rookie contracts are all serious contenders for the super bowl.  They enjoy the luxury of $30+ MM more cap space to build their team.  Rodgers has been a HOF quarterback.  What can we expect at 39-40-41?  Plus, the effort will destroy the 2025 and 2026 cap with $35MM dead cap per year.

There is nothing like hitting on a franchise quarterback to change a franchise trajectory for 15 years.  Ask the Patriots, Chiefs, Eagles, Bengals, etc.  When they hit, they are at the top of the food chain and stay there for a long time.  We know what happens when your team misses.  

Couldn’t agree more. 
I hate the “take one in round 4 or 5 and develop him” theory, but any time my team can get a top 4 QB prospect, I’m all about it.

Without a FQB you’ve got nothing. Keep trying until you hit on one. Screw the OL and DL, get those guys later in the draft.

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The conventional wisdom by Wednesday night is going to end up being: 1. Young 2. Levis 3. Stroud/Hooker 4. Hooker/Stroud 5. Richardson. Interview sessions must have been pretty damning in some cases. 

Stroud has been my dream pick from day one, but that’s pie in the sky dreaming on my part.

Hooker doesn’t interest me at all. Levis is growing on me, and if we get Rodgers, he or Richardson might be the perfect development guy at #13.

If Douglas needs to draft OL in the first round every year, he’s not the guru he was touted as being. This team needs to solve its QB issue. Rodger’s isn’t a cure, he’s a band aid.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What a horrid QB class.

Here’s the thing 80. Who the fu*k really knows with these QBs? Think about it, how many great classes or highly touted kids have we seen fall on their faces the last few years? Nobody had Allen and LJ being the star of the ‘18 class, nor did anyone have Purdy being the guy in ‘22.

A team like the Jets needs to forget about picks like Darnold and Wilson. They sucked, but what can you do except move on and try again.

If I’m our GM, and Levis or Richardson are sitting there at 13, I could give two sh*ts about my “board” I’m taking the QB.

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Here’s the thing 80. Who the fu*k really knows with these QBs? Think about it, how many great classes or highly touted kids have we seen fall on their faces the last few years? Nobody had Allen and LJ being the star of the ‘18 class, nor did anyone have Purdy being the guy in ‘22.

A team like the Jets needs to forget about picks like Darnold and Wilson. They sucked, but what can you do except move on and try again.

If I’m our GM, and Levis or Richardson are sitting there at 13, I could give two sh*ts about my “board” I’m taking the QB.

1 of these QBs or maybe even 2 might work out decently.  But they all have severe red flags and its why teams are hesitant to take them.  OR unworthy guys are getting pushed up the board simply because having a top-2 pick means you have to take a QB.  Thus it would also surprise no one if NONE of these guys work out.

The signs are there that this QB class sucks.  

• Upvote 1