Joe Douglas' Masterplan: NY Jets Strategy for the 2023 NFL Draft

Joe Douglas is clearly going all-in for 2023, so how will he use the #13 pick in the draft? There will be plenty of fantastic talent still left on the board when pick 13 comes around, and Douglas will need to weigh overall talent against need to narrow in on his preferred choice. The biggest team needs for the Jets are DT, OT, C, OLB, S, and Edge. If history is any guide, Joe Douglas isn't using a premium pick on non-premium position, so it's highly unlikely that he selects a center, safety, or outside linebacker at 13.

That leaves OT, DT, and Edge as the remaining options. Let's examine each position:

Offensive Tackle: The Jets have Duane Brown coming back healthy and penciled in at LT, but he'll be 38 when camp opens. The Jets love Mitchell at RT and for good reason -- he was excellent there before his injury. Mitchell also offer unique versatility, having played some LT in college. He's got the length and athleticism to hold up at LT, and I wonder if Douglas and the coaching staff are debating giving him reps there when camp opens. Either way, if he's healthy, he'll be on the field, and can be penciled in at RT. Mekhi Becton is coming back from injury and looks to be in fantastic shape. In a perfect world, Becton wins the LT job, Mitchell wins the RT job, and Duane Brown gets to enjoy $9 million for being a high-end insurance policy at LT.

However, with Becton's long injury history and Brown's age, the Jets need to add talent at this position for future years. The hope is that any OT drafted this year won't have to see much of the field in 2023. But if Becton and Mitchell can stay healthy, is it worth drafting an OT at 13 who is unlikely to see the field? If so, Peter Skoronski, Paris Johnson and/or Broderick Jones are the only three obvious, high-end LT talents worthy of the 13th selection. My gut tells me that JD would prefer Paris Johnson or Broderick Jones given their size, length, and upside, but all three are fantastic options. There is plenty of additional talent at OT, but no clear-cut, high-end LT candidates worthy of pick 13, IMO. At RT, you have fantastic talent in Darnell Wright, Dawand Jones, Anton Harrison and others that would be fantastic values between picks 20 - 50.
But when you're trying to win a Super Bowl in 2023, do you draft a player who might not contribute until 2024? My gut tell me no. Between Brown, Becton, and Mitchell, there are three options who can play LT in 2023. 

Defensive Tackle: Unless Jalen Carter slips to 13th, there is no game-changing DT at 13 worth taking. This would be best addressed in rounds 2-3.

Edge: Between Carl Lawson, JFM, Michael Clemons, Jermaine Johnson, and Bryce Huff, the Jets have plenty of talent on the edge to survive 2023. But with Lawson and Huff unlikely to be back in 2024, adding youth here is likely on JD's to-do list going into the draft. Will Anderson will be long gone by pick 13, which leaves Tyree Wilson and Nolan Smith as two candidates. Tyree Wilson is strong in run-support but isn't a game-wrecker off the edge, and likely wouldn't see the field much ahead of JFM, Michael Clemons and Jermaine Johnson on run downs. That makes him an unlikely choice, assuming he's even still on the board when the Jets pick. 

Nolan Smith, however, is an interesting option. He's a tremendous athlete and was great on the nation's best defense, and could come in and fill the void left by Kwon Alexander's departure. Smith would be an instant starter on day one, and offers tremendous versatility on a stacked Jets defense. Smith doesn't have the size of length of traditional pass rushers, but he's all over the field and can rush the passer, drop into coverage, and fly around the field in run support. I think he'd be best used as a "rover" chess piece that you move around the field. When I watch him play, I think, "he's Jamal Adams at 6'2, 240lbs." While I love Smith, there are plenty of great athletes at edge that can do 85-90% of what Smith does at a fraction of the cost, which makes me think that JD will go in another direction on draft day.

Final Thoughts: If the Jets decide to stick around at 13, they are guaranteed to land a good player at OT and/or Edge. However, with Douglas being forced to part with picks in exchange for Rodgers, I expect him to be active on draft day to recoup what was lost and more. Look for the Jets to move down multiple times on draft day, with the goal of converting pick 13 into four picks in the top 50.

Ultimately, I think Douglas wants to leave the 2023 draft with four picks in the top 50, five picks in the top 75, and 6 picks in the top 100. And with those picks, he'll be able to address OT, C, OLB, WR, and more.

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

The Georgie Edge is Nolan Smith, not Nolan Watson unless I am mistaken.

Nolan Smith was the USA number 1 recruit coming out of high school

He played an undersized 3-4 LB at GA.  He is not someone playing a 4-3 drafts high to play LB, unless we think he can play the middle. 

I agree with the IP reasoning but think it is highly likely a highly drafted OT plays alot.   We can only expect the past to happen in the future-Duane Brown, Becton and Mitchell played very little last year.  We can't count on the 3 of them to start most of the 2 OT spots.  

OT is the call based on the analysis.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I do not think Mitchell is in the mix AT all for starting, especially at LT.  Now, AVT might be considered for either.  I absolutely think they will draft an OT, and could at 13 who would plug and play.  

That said, there is an opportunity to move down the draft board and potentially take a second-tier (if you will) OT prospect like Darnell Wright or Anton Harrison, and get ANOTHER 2nd rounder to boot.  That will give you two in the second round (because lets face it, we are giving up a 2nd rounder for Rodgers).  We can then address C and perhaps DT both.  We could theoretically (by trading down about 7-10 spots) come away with the following:

1st round: OT Darnell Wright

2nd round: C Steve Avila or Joe Tippman

2nd round: DT Calijah Kancey or Siaka Ika

Then, basically trading a 3rd round pick and Elijah Moore for Aaron Rodgers.  plus 2024 draft capital.  

That might be another good off-season.  Time will tell.  ALL conjecture right now to keep us occupied until the reality of the draft actually happens!

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t see Edge as a need.  OT competition is a critical current need, and our first rounder could possibly play left guard for a year, paying immediate dividends if Tomlinson doesn’t wake up.  

Do we really want to start a rookie Center?  

Staying on offense, I do like the idea of another WR but how many busts can we pick in the 2nd round.  

Middle linebacker to backup & then replace Mosley is a bigger need than outside linebacker.  So is another free safety in my opinion.  

1st Round:  OT

2nd Round:  DT

4th Round:  LB

5th Round:  FS

6th Round:  IOL

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I do not think Mitchell is in the mix AT all for starting, especially at LT.  Now, AVT might be considered for either.  I absolutely think they will draft an OT, and could at 13 who would plug and play.  

That said, there is an opportunity to move down the draft board and potentially take a second-tier (if you will) OT prospect like Darnell Wright or Anton Harrison, and get ANOTHER 2nd rounder to boot.  That will give you two in the second round (because lets face it, we are giving up a 2nd rounder for Rodgers).  We can then address C and perhaps DT both.  We could theoretically (by trading down about 7-10 spots) come away with the following:

Then, basically trading a 3rd round pick and Elijah Moore for Aaron Rodgers.  plus 2024 draft capital.  

That might be another good off-season.  Time will tell.  ALL conjecture right now to keep us occupied until the reality of the draft actually happens!

The Jets offensive line is unique in that they have four players that can play OT at a high level. At this point, the best strategy might just be to add as much versatile talent as possible and let the group figure out which top five will play.

I love Darnell Wright but he's really a RT only. Sure, he can slide inside to guard but I don't think you can justify that at pick 13. Late first round, sure. I think the round 2 centers the Jets are sniffing around are mostly smokescreens, as I don't see the high end talent at this position that others do. If the Jets can get back into round 3, I think this is where that will be addressed. 

50 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

And this is why the Jets have not called you to run the draft/team.   Wow. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I don’t see Edge as a need.  OT competition is a critical current need, and our first rounder could possibly play left guard for a year, paying immediate dividends if Tomlinson doesn’t wake up.  

Staying on offense, I do like the idea of another WR but how many busts can we pick in the 2nd round.  

Middle linebacker to backup & then replace Mosley is a bigger need than outside linebacker.  So is another free safety in my opinion.  

I hate this draft the position crap.  I want to draft a player, not a position, but I don't see how you see drafting (another) backup MLB as more of a need than OLB.  I get they usually play nickel, but unless you think they are going to sign Kwon Alexander back that cupboard is pretty bare.  They have Quincy Williams.  After that it is Nasrildean who was on the practice squad much of the year and Chazz Surratt who was another waiver pickup - 3rd rounder from the Vikings in 2021 that they cut when they didn't see him as a fit.  For what it is worth, I think they were playing him at ILB.  Sherwood seems ahead of Nasrildean by any metric outside the 40 and is penciled in behind Mosley.  

Clark and Whitehead are both box type guys, so I can see adding a FS and moving one of them up.  Particularly considering how many DBs they want on the field.  Maybe Branch?  But he didn't run well and is not the longest guy.  I'd probably look at one of the corners first even though that is an alleged "strength" of this team.

EDIT:  I don't see how you see?  Who writes that?  Oh, I know. . .

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I have a feeling the CS has Sherwood pegged to replace CJ

I also see trading down as a real possibility. Especially if a guy like levis or JSN falls to our spot, I think we'd have suitors and would be well advised to trade back. 

Assuming we trade back, I like Darnell Wright, JMS or torrence. Torrence isn't a need today but he's a dominant guard and can take over for laken if he doesn't step up. Remember, a luxury today can quickly become a need tomorrow and i think torrence has probowl guard potential written all over him. I'd probably lean to Wright out of those 3 though but it's certainly a tough choice.

I don't see any real difference make at DT beyond the obvious couple guys and think that's better addressed in rd 2. 

44 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The Jets offensive line is unique in that they have four players that can play OT at a high level. At this point, the best strategy might just be to add as much versatile talent as possible and let the group figure out which top five will play.

I love Darnell Wright but he's really a RT only. Sure, he can slide inside to guard but I don't think you can justify that at pick 13. Late first round, sure. I think the round 2 centers the Jets are sniffing around are mostly smokescreens, as I don't see the high end talent at this position that others do. If the Jets can get back into round 3, I think this is where that will be addressed. 

No...I don't think you draft Darnell Wright at 13.  I think you move down in the draft around 20, gain at least a 2nd rounder in this draft, and then pick twice in the second round (given that I believe one of our current seconds will go to Green Bay for Aaron Rodgers).

34 minutes ago, usapaw said:

And this is why the Jets have not called you to run the draft/team.   Wow. 

Sorry.....I didn't realize you were on the Jets draft team.  I guess I should be amazed by what your suggestion is.  What would that be again?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, usapaw said:

That's just awful...sorry 

All good.  Now, seriously...What would you suggest?  It was just one suggestion I had: drafting another OT, a C, and a DT with the first three picks.  All areas of need, all pretty good prospects.  I don't think we draft a QB.  And if we draft a safety, I will lose it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I hate this draft the position crap.  I want to draft a player, not a position, but I don't see how you see drafting (another) backup MLB as more of a need than OLB.  I get they usually play nickel, but unless you think they are going to sign Kwon Alexander back that cupboard is pretty bare.  They have Quincy Williams.  After that it is Nasrildean who was on the practice squad much of the year and Chazz Surratt who was another waiver pickup - 3rd rounder from the Vikings in 2021 that they cut when they didn't see him as a fit.  For what it is worth, I think they were playing him at ILB.  Sherwood seems ahead of Nasrildean by any metric outside the 40 and is penciled in behind Mosley.  

Clark and Whitehead are both box type guys, so I can see adding a FS and moving one of them up.  Particularly considering how many DBs they want on the field.  Maybe Branch?  But he didn't run well and is not the longest guy.  I'd probably look at one of the corners first even though that is an alleged "strength" of this team.

EDIT:  I don't see how you see?  Who writes that?  Oh, I know. . .

I believe Clark is going to play a pure box role, taking the role of Kwon in run support and covering the tight ends.  Both strengths of his and you’ll recall the Jets converted 2 former safeties to linebacker.  

That’s my assessment, could be wrong.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, varjet said:

Nolan Smith was the USA number 1 recruit coming out of high school

He played an undersized 3-4 LB at GA.  He is not someone playing a 4-3 drafts high to play LB, unless we think he can play the middle. 

I agree with the IP reasoning but think it is highly likely a highly drafted OT plays alot.   We can only expect the past to happen in the future-Duane Brown, Becton and Mitchell played very little last year.  We can't count on the 3 of them to start most of the 2 OT spots.  

OT is the call based on the analysis.  

I like ot as well but maybe a guy who can also play guard. Tomlinson needs to rebound from last season. Mitchell did okay but he can be pushed for the right tackle spot. And, of course there’s always the injury bug to deal with.

5 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

However, with Becton's long injury history and Brown's age, the Jets need to add talent at this position for future years

I think the Jets need to think about offensive tackle for this year.  In all 3 years of Becton's service, he missed most of the last 2 years, and several games in season #1.   Brown may be healthy to start the 2023 season, but you can't count on him being healthy the entire season. His shoulder was damaged last year, and that damaged shoulder is not getting any younger at 38.  Our rookie last year missed significant time at the end of the season with blood clots.  

I would not bet the farm on these 3 guys to stay healthy the entire season.  The tackle that they take must be ready to play significant time this season.  If not, then the Jets will be continuing to pull guys from the practice squad to protect Rodgers, and that is a recipe for disaster.

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Joe Douglas is clearly going all-in for 2023, so how will he use the #13 pick in the draft? There will be plenty of fantastic talent still left on the board when pick 13 comes around, and Douglas will need to weigh overall talent against need to narrow in on his preferred choice. The biggest team needs for the Jets are DT, OT, C, OLB, S, and Edge. If history is any guide, Joe Douglas isn't using a premium pick on non-premium position, so it's highly unlikely that he selects a center, safety, or outside linebacker at 13.

That leaves OT, DT, and Edge as the remaining options. Let's examine each position:

Offensive Tackle: The Jets have Duane Brown coming back healthy and penciled in at LT, but he'll be 38 when camp opens. The Jets love Mitchell at RT and for good reason -- he was excellent there before his injury. Mitchell also offer unique versatility, having played some LT in college. He's got the length and athleticism to hold up at LT, and I wonder if Douglas and the coaching staff are debating giving him reps there when camp opens. Either way, if he's healthy, he'll be on the field, and can be penciled in at RT. Mekhi Becton is coming back from injury and looks to be in fantastic shape. In a perfect world, Becton wins the LT job, Mitchell wins the RT job, and Duane Brown gets to enjoy $9 million for being a high-end insurance policy at LT.

However, with Becton's long injury history and Brown's age, the Jets need to add talent at this position for future years. The hope is that any OT drafted this year won't have to see much of the field in 2023. But if Becton and Mitchell can stay healthy, is it worth drafting an OT at 13 who is unlikely to see the field? If so, Peter Skoronski, Paris Johnson and/or Broderick Jones are the only three obvious, high-end LT talents worthy of the 13th selection. My gut tells me that JD would prefer Paris Johnson or Broderick Jones given their size, length, and upside, but all three are fantastic options. There is plenty of additional talent at OT, but no clear-cut, high-end LT candidates worthy of pick 13, IMO. At RT, you have fantastic talent in Darnell Wright, Dawand Jones, Anton Harrison and others that would be fantastic values between picks 20 - 50.

But when you're trying to win a Super Bowl in 2023, do you draft a player who might not contribute until 2024? My gut tell me no. Between Brown, Becton, and Mitchell, there are three options who can play LT in 2023. 

Defensive Tackle: Unless Jalen Carter slips to 13th, there is no game-changing DT at 13 worth taking. This would be best addressed in rounds 2-3.

Edge: Between Carl Lawson, JFM, Michael Clemons, Jermaine Johnson, and Bryce Huff, the Jets have plenty of talent on the edge to survive 2023. But with Lawson and Huff unlikely to be back in 2024, adding youth here is likely on JD's to-do list going into the draft. Will Anderson will be long gone by pick 13, which leaves Tyree Wilson and Nolan Smith as two candidates. Tyree Wilson is strong in run-support but isn't a game-wrecker off the edge, and likely wouldn't see the field much ahead of JFM, Michael Clemons and Jermaine Johnson on run downs. That makes him an unlikely choice, assuming he's even still on the board when the Jets pick. 

Nolan Smith, however, is an interesting option. He's a tremendous athlete and was great on the nation's best defense, and could come in and fill the void left by Kwon Alexander's departure. Smith would be an instant starter on day one, and offers tremendous versatility on a stacked Jets defense. Smith doesn't have the size of length of traditional pass rushers, but he's all over the field and can rush the passer, drop into coverage, and fly around the field in run support. I think he'd be best used as a "rover" chess piece that you move around the field. When I watch him play, I think, "he's Jamal Adams at 6'2, 240lbs." While I love Watson, there are plenty of great athletes at edge that can do 85-90% of what Smith does at a fraction of the cost, which makes me think that JD will go in another direction on draft day.

Final Thoughts: If the Jets decide to stick around at 13, they are guaranteed to land a good player at OT and/or Edge. However, with Douglas being forced to part with picks in exchange for Rodgers, I expect him to be active on draft day to recoup what was lost and more. Look for the Jets to move down multiple times on draft day, with the goal of converting pick 13 into four picks in the top 50. Ultimately, I think Douglas wants to leave the 2023 draft with four picks in the top 50, five picks in the top 75, and 6 picks in the top 100. And with those picks, he'll be able to address OT, C, OLB, WR, and more.

Worth mentioning we are not giving green bay a 1st or 2nd

16 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Calijah Kancey is certainly worthy of the 13th overall pick.

With 4-5 QBs going in the top 12, I don't think Kancey is one of the top 7 defensive players in this draft. I've got him pegged as a late first rounder/early second rounder, but he offers too much risk vs the remaining talent on the board to justify rolling the dice so high. There is one Aaron Donald every 20 years, and drafting on a kid with who is 6'1, 280lbs w/ sub 31 inch arms is a massive risk. If JD wants to move down to acquire more and then roll the dice on Kancey in the bottom of round one, I can get behind that.

But there will be too much talent left on the board to gamble on a player like Kancey so high, IMO. 

From a PR and Strategic Perspective, JD needs to win and make sure the offense functions.   Hopefully he has a 5+ year plan.  

Assuming a 2 goes Rodgers, I would be drafting an OT and C.  Keep Corey D and push his cap out.   Same thing with Lawson.   Find more cap space and sign another DT.  Pray for a S.  Compete. 

Rodgers will play in 2024.  He is not turning down $45mm.  He will not play in 2025-He is not playing for $15mm. 

Where the Jets blew it since the last AFCCG was letting the OL/DL go.  After Rodgers retires the Jets will be in cap hell.  We will tank 2025.  We will trade Garrett and Sauce.   But we need to keep at least the OL intact for the next QB.  That is also where they blew it.  Becton plays this year and next for Rodgers and then walks.  

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

With 4-5 QBs going in the top 12, I don't think Kancey is one of the top 7 defensive players in this draft. I've got him pegged as a late first rounder/early second rounder, but he offers too much risk vs the remaining talent on the board to justify rolling the dice so high. There is one Aaron Donald every 20 years, and drafting on a kid with who is 6'1, 280lbs w/ sub 31 inch arms is a massive risk. If JD wants to move down to acquire more and then roll the dice on Kancey in the bottom of round one, I can get behind that.

But there will be too much talent left on the board to gamble on a player like Kancey so high, IMO. 

John Randle, Warren Sapp along with Donald are all the same size with great college productivity. The arm length is the only concern but his tape didn't expose that at all as being a problem. Kancey produced one of the highest PPF grades from a DT this season vs the run and pass. Yes, not everyone needs a gap penetrating 3-5 technique to get up field. Therefore he shouldn't be high on every team's radar but he better be high on our draft board. Plus not sure on the "too much talent" statement as he's just as talented if not better then the guys you can possibly bring up. The only network that has him going in the 2nd round is from the Pro Football Network Draft simulator that most of you guys use. 

50 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

John Randle, Warren Sapp along with Donald are all the same size with great college productivity. The arm length is the only concern but his tape didn't expose that at all as being a problem. Kancey produced one of the highest PPF grades from a DT this season vs the run and pass. Yes, not everyone needs a gap penetrating 3-5 technique to get up field. Therefore he shouldn't be high on every team's radar but he better be high on our draft board. Plus not sure on the "too much talent" statement as he's just as talented if not better then the guys you can possibly bring up. The only network that has him going in the 2nd round is from the Pro Football Network Draft simulator that most of you guys use. 

There are several players who have succeeded at that size -- that's not the argument. The argument is whether it's worth the risk at pick 13, given the other talent that will be on the board. John Randle went undrafted, so I'm throwing any comparison with him out the window because there was zero risk bringing him into camp at that size.

Warren Sapp and Aaron Donald were similar athletes coming out but had much more dominant college careers (10+ sacks/season). Kancey's college production + size make me concerned he's more Ed Oliver than Aaron Donald, which is not worth the 13th pick in the draft IMO.

Grady Jarrett is a good comp for Kancey given his size and college production, but Grady was a 5th round pick. In a redraft, he'd be a mid-late first rounder, which is where I'm pegging Kancey. He's an interesting player, no doubt -- but given scheme limitations, size concerns, and good but not great college production, I'm not reaching for him at 13.

On 3/31/2023 at 5:26 PM, CanadaSteve said:

All good.  Now, seriously...What would you suggest?  It was just one suggestion I had: drafting another OT, a C, and a DT with the first three picks.  All areas of need, all pretty good prospects.  I don't think we draft a QB.  And if we draft a safety, I will lose it. 

I agee with your premise.  There are some good OTs/C/DT in this draft for sure.  We have a pretty high value guy at OT that we need to see if he is a bust, so maybe a decent OT in the second, or an underrated guy in the 3rd. I also like J. Patterson as a viable piece to move between G and C in the 2nd.  He has been very sucessful at both. First round for me is a swing at Mayer/Skoronski/Schmitz or trade back. I don't want to sound like a ND homer but their Safety is also a good 2nd rounder. I know that TE would be a tough call as it isn't an immediate need but, if Mayer goes to someone in our division, he is the type of player likely to haunt us for years. 

I'm going pure lunchpail blue collar guys this time.  

4 minutes ago, usapaw said:

I agee with your premise.  There are some good OTs/C/DT in this draft for sure.  We have a pretty high value guy at OT that we need to see if he is a bust, so maybe a decent OT in the second, or an underrated guy in the 3rd. I also like J. Patterson as a viable piece to move between G and C in the 2nd.  He has been very sucessful at both. First round for me is a swing at Mayer/Skoronski/Schmitz or trade back. I don't want to sound like a ND homer but their Safety is also a good 2nd rounder. I know that TE would be a tough call as it isn't an immediate need but, if Mayer goes to someone in our division, he is the type of player likely to haunt us for years. 

I'm going pure lunchpail blue collar guys this time.  

Huh....coulda swore that is what I said!  :)

IF they stay at 13, Paris Johnson Jr. would be my #1, with Skoronski a possible #2.  The short arms are a concern, and many believe he will play guard in the NFL.  That would be a luxury pick.

IF we move down the draft board into the low 20's, that opens up Broderick Jones, Darnell Wright, Tyler Steen....Quite a few.  That would also be a better spot to get Schmitz to play C.  

I think we will be getting an OT and a C within the first 4 picks.  I also think DT will be in play as well in round 2 or 3 (IF we recoup a 3rd pick obviously).