Would you be open to Drafting developmental QB in Rd. 6

9 minutes ago, jetsons said:

With the limited picks this year, I would not do it... maybe next year if there are extra picks to take a chance with. 

half the point though would be to have him sitting and learning from rodgers

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I would be open to this. Very good athlete & strong arm. We have to keep on drafting a Qb until we find our long-term answer.

NYJ

Dorian Thompson-Robinson
QB UCLA

Yes but only if the Jets have the support structure to give it a real chance of working.

I’d like to understand why Purdy (and other mid to late rounders) in the past have been successful.  Most aren’t but is that partially a byproduct of the lack of a support structure around them?  Limited practice time/reps, etc.

I feel like the profile would be a system guy whose strengths match the offense OR a talented small school QB who can sit & learn for a couple years.  

• Post of the Week 3

Yup. I actually don’t know if it’s unlikely, unless they want to carry two this year and save a roster spot. No QB3 right now. Also no QB1 but at least there’s rumors there.

The odds of landing a longterm QB in the 6th round are so minuscule it’s absurd.

I don’t see the point

Devote every resource towards building the team around Rodgers this year and then if you’re really feeling ballsy, go all in on getting a guy like Drake Maye in 2024 even if Rodgers returns for another year.

• Upvote 1

I’m always ok drafting a QB. Always. It’s the  most important/valuable position in team sports (probably along with goalie in hockey). 

If you don’t have a QB, you should continue to draft them until you do. And even if you have one, young developmental QBs provide great injury insurance and/or trade currency. 

I was one of the few on this board that didn’t really mind the James Morgan pick when it was made. While it obviously didn’t work out, I thought there was already a lot of evidence to be very concerned about Sam Darnold and I had no problem with the Jets using a 4th round pick on a developmental QB that they liked.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

19 minutes ago, Larz said:

Meh. Look how easy and cheap it was to grab Mike quite, and he’s got game experience. I’m honestly done with rookies and newbies.  Just pluck someone off another roster. 

The thing I'll miss most about Mike Quite is how it was typed anytime I spoke it to Siri or Google.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jetsons said:

With the limited picks this year, I would not do it... maybe next year if there are extra picks to take a chance with. 

I would want any rookie to watch a season of Aaron Rodgers.  

• Upvote 2

It seems likely that they’re going to fill the QB3 role with a rookie and Pauline has said that the Jets have been doing a lot of work on this QB class. As of right now, Zach is the developmental QB2, but I think that’ll change at some point. Post 6/1, his contract becomes easier to trade and they’ll recoup $3.6mm in cap space if he’s dealt. San Fran is in a similar spot: supposedly Shanahan has a hard on for Darnold, and Purdy is going to get every chance to win the QB1 job there when he’s healthy, which puts Lance in no-man’s land. The 2020 class is a trainwreck and a real cautionary tale for team looking at this 2023 group and concluding that they *have to* burn a high pick on one of them.

According to the internet, the Jets have shown interest in/met with:

Holton Ahlers ECU

Max Duggan TCU

Adrian O’Connell Purdue

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, slats said:

Late QB picks are generally a waste of time and resources, a very low odds lottery ticket. I’d rather they grab developmental players for both the OL and DL. They’re more likely to contribute eventually, and depth there is always a need. 

Zach Wilson at 2 stinks 

Purdy at last pick was good 

White was serviceable from the 5th. 

Who knows. JD has a terrible track record with drafting QBS. I’m with crusher here, outsource it to someone else to pick then I’m fine with a late round lottery pick 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I would be open to this. Very good athlete & strong arm. We have to keep on drafting a Qb until we find our long-term answer.

NYJ

Dorian Thompson-Robinson
QB UCLA

DTR is supposedly going higher than expected now. Buzzy prospect. If the Jets want him, probably have to get after him in round 2

47 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’m always ok drafting a QB. Always. It’s the important/valuable position in team sports (probably along with goalie in hockey). 

If you don’t have a QB, you should continue to draft them until you do. And even if you have one, young developmental QBs provide great injury insurance and/or trade currency. 

I was one of the few on this board that didn’t really mind the James Morgan pick when it was made. While it obviously didn’t work out, I thought there was already a lot of evidence to be very concerned about Sam Darnold and I had no problem with the Jets using a 4th round pick on a developmental QB that they liked.

Who was it they said that you should draft a QB EVERY year? I'm with you there Jasi. Don't draft any specialty guys or midgets who are afraid to get hit (ahem) no workout warriors whose best plays happen in shorts and a sweatband. Get me someone like that kid from Stanford that Matt Bit told me about-like 6'4" or ^'5" a big kid with a strong arm who CAN be taught to go through his reads and not run around like a chicken with it's head chopped off. I seriously never want to see Zach Wilson ever line up under center in a Jets uniform-not even in a Hall of Fame exhibition contest

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Zach Wilson at 2 stinks 

Purdy at last pick was good 

White was serviceable from the 5th. 

Who knows. JD has a terrible track record with drafting QBS. I’m with crusher here, outsource it to someone else to pick then I’m fine with a late round lottery pick 

Kurt Warner and Tony Romo were UDFAs, they can pick up one of them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

half the point though would be to have him sitting and learning from rodgers

That's what Zach will be doing... I know he's the joke of the day, but I'm still holding out hope.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Yes, I'd be ok with it.

No, I'd not prefer Dorian Thompson-Robinson, who is a likely UDFA option, not a draft pick.

My guy late is Clayton Tune, QB, Houston.  

I'd also be fine with Max Duggan, QB, TCU as an UDFA.

A really interesting breakdown of why QBs are so hard to scout because their NFL success is determined by a mix of “attainable traits” (which can be learned/improved) and “inherent traits” (which cannot be materially improved and are difficult to evaluate without seeing actual NFL play).

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/2016-nfl-draft/2016/03/17/quarterback-traits-the-attainable-versus-the-inherent/

Whoever can crack to code to accurately measure the inherent traits pre-draft, will become extraordinarily rich. I’ve always thought virtual reality may one day play a part.

@Jetsfan80

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I’m always ok drafting a QB. Always. It’s the important/valuable position in team sports (probably along with goalie in hockey). 

Agree, always be accumulating talent at the most important position.

• Upvote 1