Deandre Hopkins to be released?

Why would they release him?  I understand teams not wanting to meet the original asking price, but I'm sure teams would meet a lowered price.   It doesn't really make sense to outright release him, unless there is some salary cap benefit that I'm not aware of. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Why would they release him?  I understand teams not wanting to meet the original asking price, but I'm sure teams would meet a lowered price.   It doesn't really make sense to outright release him, unless there is some salary cap benefit that I'm not aware of. 

No one wants to pay the contract

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Is current day Dhop better than obj? That answer I don’t know. Both were amazing a few years ago but haven’t watched much of them recently besides obj in the sb 

DHop was great last year with awful QB play after he returned from his suspension. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, win4ever said:

From what I’m seeing the cap numbers are the same whether he’s cut or traded.

Also the team acquiring Hopkins is on the hook for something like 19 mill this year and 15 mill the next — I’m really not understanding all the hand wringing over his contract when you’d be getting him at the cost of like the 15th-20th highest paid receiver. Maybe a restructure/tacking on void years makes sense to lower the upfront hit but it’s really not a huge sum at all in context. You’re telling me nobody is willing to give any draft picks at all?

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Ah right.  PED suspension.  He did miss weeks 17 and 18 with a knee but not sure if it was anything significant.

He had an MCL tear in 2021.  I believe the knee was bothering him at the end of the season so he sat out last two games.  Maybe he would have played through it had the Cards been in contention.

32 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Saves $19.4m against the cap this year if designated Post June 1st

Screenshot_20230403_103125_Chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, chirorob said:

No one wants to pay the contract

The contract itself seems.....ok.  His cap number is very high, but I'm not an expert on how the pro-rated bonus transfers in a trade scenario.  

16 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

From what I’m seeing the cap numbers are the same whether he’s cut or traded.

Also the team acquiring Hopkins is on the hook for something like 19 mill this year and 15 mill the next — I’m really not understanding all the hand wringing over his contract when you’d be getting him at the cost of like the 15th-20th highest paid receiver. Maybe a restructure/tacking on void years makes sense to lower the upfront hit but it’s really not a huge sum at all in context. You’re telling me nobody is willing to give any draft picks at all?

I'm looking at the OTC page for him, and his salary doesn't seem that bad, it's only the cap charge.  Given the dead money aligns with his pro-rated bonus numbers in a trade, I'm presuming the Cardinals are on the hook for that, and the trading team is on the hook for his salary.  It seems his contract would be around 2 year, $35 million, which isn't horrible, slightly more than what OBJ is asking for.  I feel like someone will take a bit for say a 5th round pick.  The only other aspect would be Hopkins requiring a new contract upon a trade, because he wants to cash in, being the hold up.  

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Saves $19.4m against the cap this year if designated Post June 1st

Screenshot_20230403_103125_Chrome.jpg

Trading his post June 1 has the same savings, although I don't think you are allowed to designate a trade Post June 1st, whereas you are allowed to do that for cuts.  

He’s going to be 31 years old when the season starts, and hasn’t played more than 10 games in the last two years. He’s certainly more interesting as a free agent than a trade target, especially with that existing contract, but I’m not sure I’d want to get into a bidding war for him. One advantage is that if he’s cut, he won’t count in the comp pick formula when he’s signed. 

• Upvote 2