Jets 2023 Pre-Draft Visits (any insights looking back at 2022)

Each NFL team is allotted 30 individual privately-hosted ('top 30') visits to their facilities for interviews, physicals, and evaluations.

2020-2021 visits were suspended due to COVID.  

So far in 2023 the Jets have 'top 30' visits set up with the following.  Positionally— Center, Guard, OLB, & RB did not visit pre-draft last year.  

• Broderick Jones, Offensive Tackle, Georgia (private top 30).  1st round grade
  • Daiyan Henley, Outside Linebacker, Washington State (private top 30).  2nd/3rd round grade
  • DeWayne McBride, Running Back, UAB (private top 30).  3rd round grade
  • John Michael Schmitz, Center, Minnesota (combine, workout, private top 30).  late 1st, 2nd round grade
  • BJ Ujulari, Edge, LSU (private top 30).  2nd round grade
  • Chandler Zavala, Guard, NC State (private top 30).  4th round grade
  • Brodic Martin, Nose Tackle, Western Kentucky (private top 30).  6th round grade

My personal take is their interest (3 meetings) in Schmitz is as likely a smokescreen as it is genuine.  Their 'interest' in a sub LB (Kwon replacement) and 3rd round RB might -- given far bigger needs -- signal a trade down if they don't love the OTs left on their board.  Doesn't seem to be a strategic smokescreen.  Defensive Tackle is pretty obvious since they had 2 in last year but didn't draft one and then proceeded to let Rankins walk.  

In 2022, the Jets had the following pre-draft visitors into their facilities (per CBS Sports).

WR:  Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, Jameson Williams, Treylon Burks, Taysir Mack (Pitt)

Edge:  Travon Walker, Aidan Hutchinson, Jermaine Johnson, Kayvon Thibodeaux

CB:  Ahmad Gardner, Derek Stingley Jr.

OT:  Evan Neal, Ikem Ikwonu

DT:  Devonte Wyatt, Perrion Winfrey

TE:  Isaiah Likely

They prioritized the top 10 prospects + WR + Edge (Johnson was not a consensus top 10) + DT (ultimately became late 1st and early 4th round picks) & TE (mid 4th round).  

All except DT was drafted.  Likely seemed to be a smokescreen for Ruckert, who did not visit and was drafted in the late 3rd.  Their interest in Hall was hidden. 

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, football guy said:

They had a lot of access on Ruckert throughout the senior bowl and the attended their local pro day if I'm not mistaken, and they did a ton of work on Mitchell and Clemons during the senior bowl as well. They definitely kept their interest in Hall and Walker very close to the vest though. I think the main reason why was because they really didn't foresee a scenario that the draft was going to unfold the way it did. Between trying to trade for Tyreek Hill/Deebo Samuel, to Jermaine falling in round 1, to Breece being there in round 2, I don't think they reasonably foresaw any of it happening. If Sauce went #3, they would've selected Ickey at #4, and we'd probably be talking about corner as the position with no long-term answer instead (they weren't going to select a CB early just because; it was Sauce or no one). Similarly, had Breece not been selected, they probably would've pivoted to Mafe. Jurgens, or Walker (also kept under the radar)

This year's visits have been a little obvious too. They're hosting a ton of late/UDFA types, and when you consider that the Jets usually pay near the high-end of the UDFA spectrum it wouldn't be a surprise to see them very active in that market The first round is pretty much OL or trade out. I would be shocked if they stuck there and picked a non-OL; it would have to be because they really love one of the DL that fell there or all their top OL prospects going ahead of them. In round 2 you can kind of see how they're focusing on interior OL, TE, LB, and DL based on their visits as you mention. I think the biggest wild card position like RB last year would be WR this year. 

Thank you for the insights and thank you for being the only 1 to respond to my (nearly week old) post.

This was me when I saw a response :).

Season 1 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Thank you for the insights and thank you for being the only 1 to respond to my (nearly week old) post.

This was me when I saw a response :).

Season 1 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

Lol I don't know how it was missed. There's a lot of trends to pull from these things because every team handles top 30 visits differently

• Upvote 1

On 4/5/2023 at 9:26 PM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Each NFL team is allotted 30 individual privately-hosted ('top 30') visits to their facilities for interviews, physicals, and evaluations.

2020-2021 visits were suspended due to COVID.  

So far in 2023 the Jets have 'top 30' visits set up with the following.  Positionally— Center, Guard, OLB, & RB did not visit pre-draft last year.  

• Broderick Jones, Offensive Tackle, Georgia (private top 30).  1st round grade
  • Daiyan Henley, Outside Linebacker, Washington State (private top 30).  2nd/3rd round grade
  • DeWayne McBride, Running Back, UAB (private top 30).  3rd round grade
  • John Michael Schmitz, Center, Minnesota (combine, workout, private top 30).  late 1st, 2nd round grade
  • BJ Ujulari, Edge, LSU (private top 30).  2nd round grade
  • Chandler Zavala, Guard, NC State (private top 30).  4th round grade
  • Brodic Martin, Nose Tackle, Western Kentucky (private top 30).  6th round grade

My personal take is their interest (3 meetings) in Schmitz is as likely a smokescreen as it is genuine.  Their 'interest' in a sub LB (Kwon replacement) and 3rd round RB might -- given far bigger needs -- signal a trade down if they don't love the OTs left on their board.  Doesn't seem to be a strategic smokescreen.  Defensive Tackle is pretty obvious since they had 2 in last year but didn't draft one and then proceeded to let Rankins walk.  

In 2022, the Jets had the following pre-draft visitors into their facilities (per CBS Sports).

WR:  Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, Jameson Williams, Treylon Burks, Taysir Mack (Pitt)

Edge:  Travon Walker, Aidan Hutchinson, Jermaine Johnson, Kayvon Thibodeaux

CB:  Ahmad Gardner, Derek Stingley Jr.

OT:  Evan Neal, Ikem Ikwonu

DT:  Devonte Wyatt, Perrion Winfrey

TE:  Isaiah Likely

They prioritized the top 10 prospects + WR + Edge (Johnson was not a consensus top 10) + DT (ultimately became late 1st and early 4th round picks) & TE (mid 4th round).  

All except DT was drafted.  Likely seemed to be a smokescreen for Ruckert, who did not visit and was drafted in the late 3rd.  Their interest in Hall was hidden. 

Jones has a legit shot to be the pick at 13 if they don't move down IMO.

Henley is one of my favorite players in this class.  I'd take him in round 2 but that's probably my bias.  Many seem to see him as a round 3 player where the Jets don't have a pick.

McBride is a solid player but there are a few backs I'd take over him.

JMS would be a hell of a get at C but I'd prefer Tippmann over him.  Either one could be a home run.

Ojulari at 13 would really surprise me.  Could see them taking him in a trade down.

Zavala is meh and in the two games I watched Martin he looked like a UDFA type.

• Upvote 2

I don't know how much there is to pull from last year because of the fact they were running senior bowl stuff.  They traditionally have a fairly heavy senior bowl bias (Phil Savage) and last year I think it was amplified, plus it meant they didn't need visits with those guys.  

The guys they had in for 2022 were pretty highly drafted.  Interestingly, Taysir Mack is not on a roster.  He was an UDFA with the Niners and has been on the street since early August.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Jones has a legit shot to be the pick at 13 if they don't move down IMO.

This thought is growing on me too. I know they have the consensus top 4 tackles in their top 15, but I haven't figured out how they have them ranked. The more I think about it, Jones is the guy who closest resembles the two tackles they wanted last year: Ickey Ekwonu and Charles Cross. Those guys share extremely similar profiles to Jones - everything from character to traits - and their plan for those 2 was virtually identical to what their plan would be for one they select this year: come in and compete at T or G. Best 5 will win the starting jobs, but no need to be discouraged if the tackle they select begins their career as a backup. The goal is to draft a player who will be a 10+ year fixture at tackle while also improving our depth today. 

Wright is going to visit, Johnson and Skoronski have already visited (albeit discretely). So all 4 of those guys will have spent time in the building prior to draft day 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, football guy said:

This thought is growing on me too. I know they have the consensus top 4 tackles in their top 15, but I haven't figured out how they have them ranked. The more I think about it, Jones is the guy who closest resembles the two tackles they wanted last year: Ickey Ekwonu and Charles Cross. Those guys share extremely similar profiles to Jones - everything from character to traits - and their plan for those 2 was virtually identical to what their plan would be for one they select this year: come in and compete at T or G. Best 5 will win the starting jobs, but no need to be discouraged if the tackle they select begins their career as a backup. The goal is to draft a player who will be a 10+ year fixture at tackle while also improving our depth today. 

Wright is going to visit, Johnson and Skoronski have already visited (albeit discretely). So all 4 of those guys will have spent time in the building prior to draft day 

I've been posting that pick #13 is versatile enough to steal Tomlinson's job this year before transitioning to starting tackle next year.  

Keep an eye on Skoronski who many scouts love as both a left guard or right tackle.  The downside is that some feel his arms are too short to be a premier left tackle.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I've been posting that pick #13 is versatile enough to steal Tomlinson's job this year before transitioning to starting tackle next year.  

Keep an eye on Skoronski who many scouts love as both a left guard or right tackle.  The downside is that some feel his arms are too short to be a premier left tackle.  

If Tomlinson is replaced, I'd much rather AVT back at LG.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, IntoTheGreen said:

My understanding was that teams had to disclose top 30 visits. Maybe I am misremembering. Interesting that the visits were discrete considering the obvious OT assumption from many pundits. 

IIRC, isn't there some regional/local school exception to the total number of visitors?

11 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

IIRC, isn't there some regional/local school exception to the total number of visitors?

Players within a certain region—whether it be the school they attend or where they’re from—are welcome to visit the team’s local pro day, which can be up to 2 days long. For the Jets it was last Thurs-Fri. I don’t fully understand how local pro days are regioned but for the Jets it’s essentially guys who go to schools/are from NJ, NY, PA, or CT. Despite going to OSU, Ruckert was able to attend the Jets local pro day because he’s from LI. 

If a player is within the region but isn’t able to visit on the days (for example if there was a conflict), the Jets would have to host that player on a top 30 visit instead

• Upvote 2

I’ve noticed JD for sure values character. He likes leaders as well. So I look at guys who were captains and vocal for their teams. He seems to like those guys in general. Obviously there’s times he thinks a guys talent who isn’t a captain, outweighs another guy. But it is something I’ve noticed he values and tends to draft.

• Upvote 1

In his final collegiate campaign, McBride handled 233 carries, turning them into 1,713 yards and 19 touchdowns. He led the NCAA in rushing yardage.

Overall, McBride carried the ball 484 times for 3,523 yards and 36 touchdowns during his time at UAB.

While McBride was incredibly prolific on the ground, he was a complete zero in the passing game. He caught five passes in three seasons. Yes. Five. Total. His best single-season target share was 2.1%.

Based on his college production, it’s quite clear McBride does not have a future as a receiving back. If he is able to carve out a meaningful role on an NFL roster, it would be as a two-down grinder.

McBride was incredibly dominant during his two final collegiate seasons and averaged an impressive 7.4 yards per carry. During his final season, he recorded three 200-yard rushing games.

On 4/11/2023 at 9:55 AM, football guy said:

They had a lot of access on Ruckert throughout the senior bowl and he attended their local pro day if I'm not mistaken, and they did a ton of work on Mitchell and Clemons during the senior bowl as well. They definitely kept their interest in Hall and Walker very close to the vest though. I think the main reason why was because they really didn't foresee a scenario that the draft was going to unfold the way it did. Between trying to trade for Tyreek Hill/Deebo Samuel, to Jermaine falling in round 1, to Breece being there in round 2, I don't think they reasonably foresaw any of it happening. If Sauce went #3, they would've selected Ickey at #4, and we'd probably be talking about corner as the position with no long-term answer instead (they weren't going to select a CB early just because; it was Sauce or no one). Similarly, had Breece not been selected, they probably would've pivoted to Mafe. Jurgens, or Walker (also kept under the radar)

This year's visits have been a little obvious too. They're hosting a ton of late/UDFA types, and when you consider that the Jets usually pay near the high-end of the UDFA spectrum it wouldn't be a surprise to see them very active in that market The first round is pretty much OL or trade out. I would be shocked if they stuck there and picked a non-OL; it would have to be because they really love one of the DL that fell there or all their top OL prospects going ahead of them. In round 2 you can kind of see how they're focusing on interior OL, TE, LB, and DL based on their visits as you mention. I think the biggest wild card position like RB last year would be WR this year. 

I still think WR should be a serious consideration since our WR corps is thin and that position might likely have value there. I wouldn't even be shocked if they took Bijan if he fell there. Another first round OL seems poor resource allocation. I think you need to see what our exercise demon can do there. The whole Rodgers idiocy has sapped any real interest in delving too deep into the draft. I am still hoping they wake up and move on. I would not 100% rule out QB at 13 either. Not like we have a sure fire solution for 2024

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

In his final collegiate campaign, McBride handled 233 carries, turning them into 1,713 yards and 19 touchdowns. He led the NCAA in rushing yardage.

Overall, McBride carried the ball 484 times for 3,523 yards and 36 touchdowns during his time at UAB.

While McBride was incredibly prolific on the ground, he was a complete zero in the passing game. He caught five passes in three seasons. Yes. Five. Total. His best single-season target share was 2.1%.

Based on his college production, it’s quite clear McBride does not have a future as a receiving back. If he is able to carve out a meaningful role on an NFL roster, it would be as a two-down grinder.

McBride was incredibly dominant during his two final collegiate seasons and averaged an impressive 7.4 yards per carry. During his final season, he recorded three 200-yard rushing games.

I was about to highlight the name from the OP's list... this the first i've seen of this thread/and his name attached to us (I haven't really been dialed in this year)

I think it's an interesting reveal from Hackett... McBride is the AJ Dillon of GB's tandem back when Nathaniel was there. More of a traditional between the tackles guy -- like James Robinson in his rookie year campaign or a James Connor comp. 

Tells me he & the NYJ didn't love the red zone effectiveness of their RBs last year after Hall went down. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I still think WR should be a serious consideration since our WR corps is thin and that position might likely have value there. I wouldn't even be shocked if they took Bijan if he fell there. Another first round OL seems poor resource allocation. I think you need to see what our exercise demon can do there. The whole Rodgers idiocy has sapped any real interest in delving too deep into the draft. I am still hoping they wake up and move on. I would not 100% rule out QB at 13 either. Not like we have a sure fire solution for 2024

JMO - I can't get behind any of these...None...OL (LeftOT & C) are the biggest need and it's not even close. 2022 season for all those that need a reminder

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I... I don't even know how to respond to this

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Are you ok?...

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2023 at 8:34 PM, Bobby816 said:

I’ve noticed JD for sure values character. He likes leaders as well. So I look at guys who were captains and vocal for their teams. He seems to like those guys in general. Obviously there’s times he thinks a guys talent who isn’t a captain, outweighs another guy. But it is something I’ve noticed he values and tends to draft.

I think he hopes that will help to mitigate busts.  Some guys have all the talent, but once they get any kind of money in their pocket, they stop working hard.  Mangini was big on leader types as well.

Just my thought.

On 4/11/2023 at 9:34 PM, Bobby816 said:

JD & Saleh...The player must also love football.  Not what football brings you ie fame, $$ etc...Just flat out love football and the sacrifice it takes to do the work. "loves ball"

7 minutes ago, C Mart said:

JD & Saleh...The player must also love football.  Not what football brings you ie fame, $$ etc...Just flat out love football and the sacrifice it takes to do the work. "loves ball"

That’s why there wasn’t much interest in Thibodeau last year.

• Upvote 1

Mike Garafolo @MikeGarafolo

Ohio State LT Paris Johnson is in Philly for a pre-draft visit with the #Eagles today and then heads up to see the #Jets tonight and tomorrow, sources say. He also visited the #AZCardinals last week. Lots of possible fits in the top 10-15 for the talented, well-rounded prospect.