Titans give DT Simmons huge extension

45 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Have to pay Q post draft. He’s earned for starters. And even deeper. We can’t be drafting well and have the reputation of not paying our own. Guys after year 3 are going to be wanting a trade if we don’t prioritize our own.

1 great year of production in Yr. 4. 

Is that enough to sign to $70 mil in guaranteed $. ?

Just asking what people think.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 32EBoozer said:

I like Q... I don't think Id do it. I said that before the season and at the end of the year I was like, well if they pay him maybe... now looking at the $ and DT's getting this dumb money id just trade him... and no NOT in a package for Rodgers..

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think he was dominant that year. I think it’s easy to forget that I think at the time he was drafted (so maybe someone has broke this record since). He was the youngest guy (if I remember correctly) to ever get drafted. I mean he only turned 25 still just a few months ago. And he’s about to be in his 4th year in the league. For example Hendon Hooker is only 5 weeks younger than him.

He battled through some injuries. I think that one year that he missed pretty much all of TC hurt his regular season. So last year was our 1st time really swing a healthy him that got to have a full off-season. And that player was dominant. So when you factor is that he’s only 25 for this whole next year. His dominant play and that believe it or not will save us cap likely when he give him a long term deal (I’d imagine we give him a big signing bonus and a lower cap hit for this season than his 5th year option. Just makes sense. I just think we need to try and keep it closer to 25 per not 30 per

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think Quinnen has been better than Simmons but I totally get what you are saying. If the Jets plan to go all in for 2 years, I can see a strong argument for playing out the 5th year and playing him on the tag because it's far cheaper. 

That said, I don't view Quinnen in the same light as Wilkerson. I do think Q would have been significantly better in 2021 had we not lost both Lawson and Curry.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

The incremental value of Q over "Avg. DT" is not worth 100 million/year in salary/cap space.

Contra case without QW the defense is only average. And the defense is the only legit part of the program right now 

That being said the Jets won't extend qw because they can't find the bag for homegrown players only mercs 

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Contra case without QW the defense is only average. And the defense is the only legit part of the program right now 

That being said the Jets won't extend qw because they can't find the bag for homegrown players only mercs 

C'mon dude, they will sign Q

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

People will scream at you for saying that but:

Deron Payne 908 snaps  (About 90% of his teams Dsnaps)

Simmons 840 snaps (About 85% of his teams Dsnaps)

Quinnen 690 snaps (About 68% of his teams Dsnaps)

We are going to give a monster contract to a guy who plays 68% of the time on D due to our fanatical over rotation.

Fair point but his snap count is dictated by the coaches not him.  Could also make a very legit argument that even with about 25% fewer snaps QW has more production across the board:  35 solo tackles to 25 for Simmons and 12 sacks to 7.5 for Simmons.  Gonna have to pay him.  Good for him been few and far between draft picks who have earned a big pay day for this team.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Fair point but his snap count is dictated by the coaches not him.  Could also make a very legit argument that even with about 25% fewer snaps QW has more production across the board:  35 solo tackles to 25 for Simmons and 12 sacks to 7.5 for Simmons.  Gonna have to pay him.  Good for him been few and far between draft picks who have earned a big pay day for this team.

Does not matter who dictates it, the players value is lower.  Hey I wont blame Quinnen for asking for a big contract he earned it off of last year. 

In the end we have to get full value for paying a guy, if the gm has to sit down with the player and coach on this he has to do it.  No reason Quinnen cannot be playing as much as those other guys.

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Going from 7 sacks to 6 and then 12 is more then 1 year of production.

On top of that, the jets drafts have been so absolutely horrendous in combination with JD trading overpaid players like Jamal for rookies, we can afford to pay elite players, all good teams do.  

QW is an elite DT, he has gotten better ever year - good teams pay elite players, just pay him what he deserves

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Going from 7 sacks to 6 and then 12 is more then 1 year of production.

On top of that, the jets drafts have been so absolutely horrendous in combination with JD trading overpaid players like Jamal for rookies, we can afford to pay elite players, all good teams do.  

QW is an elite DT, he has gotten better ever year - good teams pay elite players, just pay him what he deserves

All great points.

They can't afford to resign QW everyone wants the Jets to trade for Rogers and absorb 100 million dead money for a 1 year rental QW will be playing somewhere else after his 5th year if the Rogers trade goes through. That's why I dont want Rogers you can't afford player like QW when your absorbing 100 million in dead money.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We are going to give a monster contract to a guy who plays 68% of the time on D due to our fanatical over rotation.

I thought qwills snap count % was higher but this is a good point. Salehs scheme rotates guys in and out to keep them fresh. So they don’t need a tackle to be in 100% of the plays but they do one to be 100% every time he’s in. I think qwill does demand quite a bit of attention when he’s in and will demand ( and get) high pay.

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I am certain you will disagree, but I’ll throw it out there anyway. Impact plays are what change and win games, not snaps. The big plays are what teams pay for. Williams had more sacks and QB hits than either Simmons or Payne last year in this system with that rotation.

If he’s more productive than those guys playing less snaps, then when he comes off the field whoever’s playing in those other snaps can get the team further production from the position. And that’s on top of what’s already more production than what the Titans and Commanders were getting from Simmons and Payne’s snaps.

Track record is important as well, and he has the most career sacks and QB hits of the group too (and Payne has played one more season).

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1