Jump to content

Do Joe Douglas Comments About Aaron Rodgers Rise to Level of Tampering? Unlikely, but not Impossible


Recommended Posts

JoeDouglasPractice

When Jets GM Joe Douglas was asked about where the Jets stood in their negotiations to acquire quarterback Aaron Rodgers from the Green Bay Packers, the GM knew what to say to fire up the crowd; “He’s gonna’ be here“, was the reply.

This answer was quite a contrast to the answer given by Robert Saleh in recent weeks at the annual owners meetings when the head coach cited Rodgers’ contract status as a reason for not being able to comment on the potential deal.  A deal which has already reached absurd levels as media sources work to spread silly rumors in regards to which teams might also get involved.

Robert Saleh says he can’t talk about Aaron Rodgers because he’s a member of another team. #Jets

— Al Iannazzone (@Al_Iannazzone) March 27, 2023

So was Douglas alright to comment or was Saleh unclear on the league’s tampering rules?  That all depends on whether or not the teams went through the formality of granting the Jets permission to talk to Rodgers in writing.  Per league bylaws, a club has to receive written permission directly from trading team before commenting publicly on a potential deal.

If written permission had not been granted, Saleh was right to refuse to comment.  If it had, it’s possible that Saleh was being overly cautious, but could have discussed it if he’d wanted to.

The comments from Douglas last night tell us that written consent was granted, or; Douglas feels comfortable enough with the Packers front office that he wouldn’t expect them to file a complaint with the league office.  Douglas would also have to feel confident that if written permission had not been granted, that his public comments would not push the Packers to ask for a bit more compensation.

It’s also worth noting that Douglas’ comments could be viewed as confirmation of a completed trade, an additional bylaw states that clubs should not disclose confidential trade discussions which the Packers could possibly claim if they so desired.  After all, if the deal is done, it certainly doesn’t’ look as if the Packers want it to be public knowledge at this point in time.

So while only the two clubs will know if tampering occurred by rule, it would be up to the Packers to take any action which is unlikely at this point.

 

 

 

 

The post Do Joe Douglas Comments About Aaron Rodgers Rise to Level of Tampering? Unlikely, but not Impossible appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgb said:

As I understand GB would have to raise a complaint, which they won’t, therefore case dismissed.

Part of why I said unlikely.  Would be a petty play by GB.  Only way I can see it being possible is if they feel they're getting humiliated with trade comp, although multiple reports suggest they're willing to grossly overpay.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well that’s pretty much it. He wouldn’t say it if not happening. And GB says they’ll make the deal without getting back a first round pick. It would make a lot of sense if they make this deal after June 1. I’m curious to know if GB kicks in any money. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jets1958 said:

Tampering? When you already have permission to talk to him? Wow that’s crazy.

They had permission when Saleh said he couldn't discuss the trade because Rodgers was under contract.

We also don't know if permission was put in writing.

And there could be some grey area in regards to tampering  rules that say one party can't publicly divulge private trade convos.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jgb said:

As I understand GB would have to raise a complaint, which they won’t, therefore case dismissed.

So the comment is double leverage for gb. JD just made promise to fans it’s definitely happening so has to deliver. And he now has to play nice and not hard with gb, or technically they could raise the complaint. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it would all come down to the actual rules in 'being granted permission to talk to a player'.  I certainly don't know what those rules are.

I do know this, the Jets who have been so good under Douglas of keeping their mouths shut are suddenly  blabbing left right and center.

Just shut up and make an announcement when the trade actually happens.  It's bad business to talk before the ink is dry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

They had permission when Saleh said he couldn't discuss the trade because Rodgers was under contract.

We also don't know if permission was put in writing.

And there could be some grey area in regards to tampering  rules that say one party can't publicly divulge private trade convos.  

I think Saleh does a good job of just punting of stuff at his pressers.

Talk to Joe. 

Brilliant he says that and moves on.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

So the comment is double leverage for gb. JD just made promise to fans it’s definitely happening so has to deliver. And he now has to play nice and not hard with gb, or technically they could raise the complaint. 

I think the deal is agreed 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

Part of why I said unlikely.  Would be a petty play by GB.  Only way I can see it being possible is if they feel they're getting humiliated with trade comp, although multiple reports suggest they're willing to grossly overpay.

Yeah I was agreeing with you. This is the kind of tampering charge that would cause the other teams to rally to Jets’ defense. 0.00% happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LockeJET said:

GB is going to file tampering chargers. Jets could now be without pick 13 even if it’s not included in trade. 

If GB wants to be seen as a pariah organization who has already granted Rodgers the permission to talk to the Jets, sure.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, jgb said:

If GB wants to be seen as a pariah organization who has already granted Rodgers the permission to talk to the Jets, sure.

Again, I don't see GB doing anything here.  They're screwed.  They handed out one of the worst contracts in NFL history and only one team is willing to take that contract on.

However, tampering isn't just about permission to talk trade.  There's also a section that says teams can't publicly discuss confidential trade conversations.  Now, if the Jets and Packers have agreed on a deal but the Packers have stayed quiet about it, it could be because (and I hope) that they're getting fleeced and they want the deal announced on draft day so that the shiny new picks will help make the deal less embarrassing.  If for that or any other reason they want the trade kept under wraps, they could raise a stink over Joe D. saying publicly that Rogers is coming, which confirms the deal is done.

We could say it's a bit of a grey area, but still a silly and unnecessary risk.  I'd even imagine that if Joe D were asked that same question today, in a different state of mind, would probably answer differently.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The way I see it, is even if it is tampering. GB won’t do anything about it. From what I know… GB would have to want tampering charges looked into. And even if JD and Gute have a verbal agreement and have said let’s not make it public knowledge until “X” date. GB needs to get rid of AR. So to risk that move over a public comment, isn’t in their best interest.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Again, I don't see GB doing anything here.  They're screwed.  They handed out one of the worst contracts in NFL history and only one team is willing to take that contract on.

However, tampering isn't just about permission to talk trade.  There's also a section that says teams can't publicly discuss confidential trade conversations.  Now, if the Jets and Packers have agreed on a deal but the Packers have stayed quiet about it, it could be because (and I hope) that they're getting fleeced and they want the deal announced on draft day so that the shiny new picks will help make the deal less embarrassing.  If for that or any other reason they want the trade kept under wraps, they could raise a stink over Joe D. saying publicly that Rogers is coming, which confirms the deal is done.

We could say it's a bit of a grey area, but still a silly and unnecessary risk.  I'd even imagine that if Joe D were asked that same question today, in a different state of mind, would probably answer differently.

Yeah I was responding to the poster I quoted. I think you are correct that we are dealing with a potentially-technical violation of something that will never be enforced — as a lawyer that makes my lust for billable hours tweak — but I agree it’s likely much ado about nothing.

Whether it was wise of JD to say it — fair point. Tells me the deal is done in principle. Probably Jets have some time to try to trade picks before consummating as part of the agreement.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yeah I was responding to the poster I quoted. I think you are correct that we are dealing with a potentially-technical violation of something that will never be enforced — as a lawyer that makes my lust for billable hours tweak — but I agree it’s likely much ado about nothing.

Whether it was wise of JD to say it — fair point. Tells me the deal is done in principle. Probably Jets have some time to try to trade picks before consummating as part of the agreement.

Yeah, 99.99% chance it leads to nothing.  He'd clearly had a few bevvies and played to the crowd.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Whether it was wise of JD to say it — fair point. Tells me the deal is done in principle. Probably Jets have some time to try to trade picks before consummating as part of the agreement.

That’s been my thinking since the trade talk died down and Packers backed off 1st round talk. Packers will get 2nd or 3rd but no definitive pick like #42 or #43.

JD has the freedom to move around the Draft until trading away a certain pick within that designated round agreed upon when permission was granted to speak with Rodgers.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...