John Rahm, masters champ.

Well deserved, probably my favorite current golfer.

Kopeka faded, and ended up tied with.....wait for it.....Phil Mickleson.

Glad Tiger dropped out after the third round so we didn't have to put up will wall to wall coverage of him shooting 76 in the last round.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Brooksie not used to playing 4 rounds. Hard to ignore the LIV guys are not faring well at majors lately. 

I haven’t paid any attention at all to LIV tournaments, but my brother tells me they have a strong seniors tour vibe. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I haven’t paid any attention at all to LIV tournaments, but my brother tells me they have a strong seniors tour vibe. 

Same. I don't even know when it's on. I do wonder what the longer term effects of three day tourneys with no cuts is going to be for those guys. That was a weird fizzling out for Brooks today. 

Great tournament.  My picks?   Not so great.

Rahm is a cold blooded stud.  Love that dude.  I think he'll eventually win the career grand slam and wouldnt be surprised if he didnt before Speith and Rory.   You really couldnt have asked for better drama, Brooks vs. Rahm on Sunday, a player from Spain winning on Seve's 40 year anniversary win, on Easter.   Pretty special.  Phil finishing second after all the noise he's made, shooting a 65?  Unreal.  And while Rahm winning certainly helped the PGA, 3 LIV golfers in the top 4 will continue to push the world ranking narratives.  

Yes golf, something I'm sure you'd suck at
Actually ... I don't completely suck at it ... and used to be pretty good at it.decades ago. Admittedly I never made scratch. But generally high 80s low 90s with no handicap adjustment. Do they still call it that ?

Are the driver heads still growing ??.. when I stopped playing semi regularly in the mid nineties I remember thinking they were going to need to make side cars on the carts just for the drivers.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

Great tournament.  My picks?   Not so great.

Rahm is a cold blooded stud.  Love that dude.  I think he'll eventually win the career grand slam and wouldnt be surprised if he didnt before Speith and Rory.   You really couldnt have asked for better drama, Brooks vs. Rahm on Sunday, a player from Spain winning on Seve's 40 year anniversary win, on Easter.   Pretty special.  Phil finishing second after all the noise he's made, shooting a 65?  Unreal.  And while Rahm winning certainly helped the PGA, 3 LIV golfers in the top 4 will continue to push the world ranking narratives.  

Would’ve been Seve’s 66th birthday too

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I have watched a little. They get to wear shorts, you can hear music playing in the background. Very relaxed atmosphere with a sh.. ton more money involved. Crowds seem to be piss poor.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Worse.  Golfers in shorts with loud music playing on the course is much worse. That’s without bringing up the tv coverage, tweets taking up the screen about how great LIV is

1 hour ago, JiF said:

And while Rahm winning certainly helped the PGA, 3 LIV golfers in the top 4 will continue to push the world ranking narratives.  

Yeah.... the PGA did so many things wrong, leading to the rise of LIV. Can't blame some of these golfers like Harold Varnier III. He outright said,

Varner has no illusions about why he made the jump to LIV, admitting it was a financial windfall for his family that he could not pass up.

“I play golf so I can change the direction of my family’s life. And that’s it. No other reason,” Varner told the Washington Post.

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Yeah.... the PGA did so many things wrong, leading to the rise of LIV. Can't blame some of these golfers like Harold Varnier III. He outright said,

Varner has no illusions about why he made the jump to LIV, admitting it was a financial windfall for his family that he could not pass up.

“I play golf so I can change the direction of my family’s life. And that’s it. No other reason,” Varner told the Washington Post.

100%.   Not sure if you watched "Full Swing" on Netflix, I highly recommend if not but Dustin Johnson I think put it perfectly; "I was offered more money, to work less and spend more time w/ my family, who turns that down?"

• Upvote 1

Nothing against LIV, but it sure was nice to watch a tournament with all of the best players in the world this weekend.  Well deserved win for Rahm.  Think about how this tourney might have looked without the LIV guys.  No Koepka and Rahm going toe to toe until Rahm pulled away a bit late.  No Sunday charge from Phil.  Rahm wins easily with no real challenge over Henley and Spieth 5 back.  The storylines were so much better, nothing to do with LIV vs PGA.  Just having the best players in the world on the same course makes it that much more compelling.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Actually ... I don't completely suck at it ... and used to be pretty good at it.decades ago. Admittedly I never made scratch. But generally high 80s low 90s with no handicap adjustment. Do they still call it that ?

Are the driver heads still growing ??.. when I stopped playing semi regularly in the mid nineties I remember thinking they were going to need to make side cars on the carts just for the drivers.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I think ur head might be growing which isn't a good sign.

3 hours ago, redlichtie said:

I dunno, 3 of the top 5 (BK, Lefty & Patrick Reed) are all LIV

Maybe splitting hairs here but I think you can only count 2 of those 3. It's Phil at Augusta, I don't think anybody was shocked he did that and if he had pulled something miraculous off it would have been hard to count that as a true win for LIV.

As for the rest, who knows, this was a really wacky weekend at Augusta. British Open should be a huge gage for everything this year IMO. Liverpool's winds are notoriously brutal and if they kick up I wonder what that means for the LIV guys. The theory is the longer they get used to playing only 3 days, the harder it's going to make majors as time passes. And I dunno, there might be some legitimacy to that because if memory serves correctly Koepka historically seems to be able to hold people off when he's in the lead on the final day. He just looked so off. He says it's because they guys in front were playing too slow, but c'mon.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Nothing against LIV, but it sure was nice to watch a tournament with all of the best players in the world this weekend.  Well deserved win for Rahm.  Think about how this tourney might have looked without the LIV guys.  No Koepka and Rahm going toe to toe until Rahm pulled away a bit late.  No Sunday charge from Phil.  Rahm wins easily with no real challenge over Henley and Spieth 5 back.  The storylines were so much better, nothing to do with LIV vs PGA.  Just having the best players in the world on the same course makes it that much more compelling.

I think it played into the drama, fore sure.  Does Scheffler vs. Rahm have the same juice as Koepka?  I dont think so.  The LIV factor definitely added more drama, at least for me.

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2023 at 3:49 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Maybe splitting hairs here but I think you can only count 2 of those 3. It's Phil at Augusta, I don't think anybody was shocked he did that and if he had pulled something miraculous off it would have been hard to count that as a true win for LIV.

As for the rest, who knows, this was a really wacky weekend at Augusta. British Open should be a huge gage for everything this year IMO. Liverpool's winds are notoriously brutal and if they kick up I wonder what that means for the LIV guys. The theory is the longer they get used to playing only 3 days, the harder it's going to make majors as time passes. And I dunno, there might be some legitimacy to that because if memory serves correctly Koepka historically seems to be able to hold people off when he's in the lead on the final day. He just looked so off. He says it's because they guys in front were playing too slow, but c'mon.

Yeah we’ll have to agree to disagree on that one, I hear what you are saying especially regarding the Mickelson charge but whatever way you dice it that’s 3 very high profile LIV guys there showing up huge at the Masters. I’m no LIV cheerleader btw although its emergence has upped the ante in my own industry so I don’t see them as the devil Incarnate.

The thing to remember here is it wasn’t just LIV guys who faded, the very nature of major tournament golf is that some guys will fade on the final day and some will surge through from seemingly nowhere….happens every year. Koepka dropping away was mirrored by the uber-talented Viktor Hovland doing the same (at the start of the 3rd round my money would’ve been on Hovland coming through to challenge the top 2))Lefty charging through was somewhat matched until very late on by Spieth and Scheffler…Hovland was clearly irritated by the slow play of Cantlay and it’s not unreasonable to argue his game was affected by that (and therefor Koepka too would have a legit gripe) but then Jon Rahm had to deal with that as well and he clearly coped.

I think we are still too early in the LIV world to properly see any long term effects but as to the theory about LIV guys dropping away on the final day it certainly merits keeping an eye on and, as you say, the Open in July will make for very interesting viewing. The Open is such an outlier though, Links golf in July is so alien to so many players that weren’t brought up in Portrush or Carnoustie (I grew up 6 miles from Carnoustie). I’m even more interested in how it affects the Ryder Cup. If Koepka, Mickelson & Reed continue their form and established Ryder Cup vets like Dustin Johnson are there or thereabouts then Zach Johnson has some very interesting, and no doubt controversial, calls to make. Luke Donald maybe less so on the European side of things…..very interesting times indeed.