Poll: What is your level of confidence in Joe Douglas as of right now?

Poll: What is your level of confidence in Joe Douglas as of right now?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: What is your level of confidence in Joe Douglas as of right now?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/21/2023 at 08:51 PM

I like that "Excellent" is in the lead right now.  I feel very confident in JD as our GM but I don't think I can vote "Excellent" just yet considering he hasn't made the playoffs despite 3 years at the helm.  That plus he's had a terrible regular season record and he struck out (at least as far as I can tell so far) on the #2 overall pick with ZW.

But I honestly do have a lot of faith that he's going to turn us into a contender.

• Upvote 2

I voted average. But a case could be made for below average. His entire 1st draft was trash. His 2nd draft was trash outside of AVT. ZW might be the worst draft pick in jets history.  His 3rd draft was pretty epic with GW, sauce and Breece.

his free agency moves have been consistently underwhelming IMO. Never liked the signing of Cory Davis, uzomah, lawson, brashad perriman, tevin Coleman etc.

Lazard feels like another Cory Davis type signing. Overpaying for an average wr. His best signing is definitely dj reed.

His one saving grace is that he never signs players for more than 3 years. All of his 2020 free agent signings are no longer on the team. Ditto his 2021 free agent signings minus lawson and Davis, both who are overpaid.

he has found some gems like JFM and Quincy on the waiver wire. Also Kwon was a good pickup last year.

• Upvote 4

If it wasn’t for the hope of Rodgers, he’d probably be getting a C or D on the offseason.

Re-signing Quincy was good and Chuck Clark is ok, but void still exists at FS / CF, C, OT, backup QB.

Joe Douglas is a Rorschach for Jet fans.  People see whatever they want to see.

The truth is it’s been a mixed bag.  They seem positioned to make a leap, but until it actually happens, his abysmal W-L record is what it is.

• Upvote 4

JD is excellent when we compare him to what we have had as  Jets fans over the last 30-plus years as GMs go.  Folks have to remember to a very large degree a GM is only as good as the ownership.

And JD has been literally teaching this organization how to manage and develop an organization while doing his own GM job and that isn't easy.

People say he hasn’t won enough and that is more than true, but the steps he has taken have been in the main bold, principled and sound; something that Jets fans have been lamenting here since before Parcells effectively scared Manning away..

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Average but with a wide standard deviation on GM attributes.  He is not average at all aspects, lots of ups and downs ending in a total grade of average imo.

Some things near best in the league, some things very poor.

Perfectly said.  +1

• Great at getting value from trades.
  • Very variable (some great, some really bad) at draft.
  • Pretty bad at Free Agency.
  • Completely mismanaged the QB position so far...

End of the day, I'm not looking to fire him yet, so that is something.

But if 2023 is another losing or playoff-missing season, I think some form of serious evaluation must be done.

• Upvote 1

Below average. You are what your record says you are. If you cant put a winning team on the field what are we doing here, congratulating on value obtained in transactions? I place more value on results.

I think this Rodgers thing will not work out. 40 year old QB coming off his worst season in which he looked his age, playing in a much worse conference.

Team still has lots of holes but its before the draft and that so cant say too much about how this current team will look.

My question is, what are the actual expectations now of this team with Rodgers internally?  Are they expecting to be a SB contender? Would a 1 and done playoff appearance be considered a success?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If it wasn’t for the hope of Rodgers, he’d probably be getting a D- on the offseason.

Re-signing Quincy was good and Chuck Clark is ok, but void still exists at FS / CF, C, OT, backup QB.

Joe Douglas is a Rorschach for Jet fans.  People see whatever they want to see.

The truth is it’s been a mixed bag.  They seem positioned to make a leap, but until it actually happens, his abysmal W-L record is what it is.

Isn't that along the lines of "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

The hope of Rodgers is probably the most legitimate hope we have had for a good QB in ages.  I say that as someone that is not in love with the idea.  Still, unlike Favre he is coming here to be here, not because he can't get to Minnesota.  A few of the moves - Hackett, Lazard, the interest in OBJ, seem paired to bringing Rodgers on board. 

I agree the moves have been a mixed bag, but the team talent level seems fine.  The running game and offensive line was carrying a sh*t QB for a decent stretch.  They are right there, competing every week which is a position they probably have not really been in since 2015.  People are whining about teams poaching our waiver wire.  We have not had that since 2010. 

They lost a bunch of games they should have won last year.  It's a long time since I felt that way.  It's either poor coaching, the QB issue or both, but general talent level seems up.  Hard for it not to be, but still.  I am more concerned with the coaching than the GM, but I am not sure I would fire the staff without starting over at GM.

If you consider Zach Wilson, Mekhi Becton, and Denzel Mims as busts, Joe Douglas still has a 70% hit rate in the top 2 rounds of the draft. You are a good GM if you are 50% in just the first round.

I'm very pro Joe Douglas, I understand the criticism on the Zach pick, hindsight you trade down for Jimmy G or run it back with Sam. I just think hes better than most, and the best I've seen in the 25+ years I've been a fan

• Upvote 2

I'd give him "above average" mainly because I think he's a smart guy who has a process I believe in. And when you have a good process, over time, things work out.

• He prioritizes key positions and understands positional value
  • He has generally done a good job of managing draft capital (getting future picks)
  • He keeps a clean cap sheet with short term deals that give us lots of flexibility.
  • He's done an exceptional job with trades and extracting value for distressed assets. It's still kind of shocking what he got for Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold, imo.

If you compare him to a bozo like Maccagnan he very clearly "knows what he's doing' and has a plan on how to build a team.

He's not "elite" of course because like all GMs he's whiffed on some moves -- sadly for him one of them was drafting a QB 2nd overall. That move has been a disaster that docks him big time.

If Zach Wilson didn't totally suck I think Douglas' overall resume is really good. But he does, so we're trying to trade for Aaron Rodgers...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If it wasn’t for the hope of Rodgers,

I mean, this could have been pretty well known thing since the middle of last year. We heard rumors last offseason, after the Packers signed Rodgers, that Love would request a trade if he were not starting in 2023. 

AA. I may be wrong but it feels to me like he's improving each year and learning (hopefully) from prior mistakes. How he handles this QB situation and the upcoming draft will largely determine his fate as Jets GM imo. He'll either be the GM for a long time to come or this will be his last season.

The data says that he is terrible. A 3rd place finish and three consecutive last place finishes. The team hasn’t sniffed a winning record since he was hired.

He’s made some shrewd trades, and his most recent draft looks excellent, going into year 5 we need to see actual results. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If you consider Zach Wilson, Mekhi Becton, and Denzel Mims as busts, Joe Douglas still has a 70% hit rate in the top 2 rounds of the draft. You are a good GM if you are 50% in just the first round.

I'm very pro Joe Douglas, I understand the criticism on the Zach pick, hindsight you trade down for Jimmy G or run it back with Sam. I just think hes better than most, and the best I've seen in the 25+ years I've been a fan

I mean he’s really only had 1 good draft IMO. His first 2 are pretty awful. Who are his 5 best free agent signings? He’s average at best IMO

11 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Lol not gonna factor in the Hall of Fame QB trade are ya?

What Hall of Fame QB trade?  Did a trade get completed today I was unaware of?

It ain't real till it's real.

And it's ain't good till it's actually good on the field and in the W/L record.

You might be a bit premature giving credit today for any QB trade.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What Hall of Fame QB trade?  Did a trade get completed today I was unaware of?

It ain't real till it's real.

And it's ain't good till it's actually good on the field and in the W/L record.

You might be a bit premature giving credit today for any QB trade.

Are you rooting for the trade not to happen? 

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

Are you rooting for the trade not to happen? 

To be very clear, I'm not a fan of the trade.

Rodgers for a year is perfectly fine, it should be entertaining to be sure, and it gives us the best chance to break the no-playoffs streak we've had in a while.  So that's ok, sure.

But it's a dumb trade, pure short-term-GM-ass-saving at the cost of long term team-building and asset accumulation.  A sad requirement because JD botched the Zach Wilson pick (and every QB decision he's made here) so badly and so completely.

I'd prefer not to be in "Desperate attempt to snag someone else's HOF'er for one last year" for $50million and alot of longer-term dead cap, personally.  I'd prefer not to have to sign all of Rodgers old friends too.  

But JD and Saleh need to save their asses, and this is their best option available to do so, and buy them more time to solve the QB fiasco for the Jets.

So no, not rooting against it, but objective as to the limited success it is likely to bring (i.e. not a Super Bowl, maybe not even the playoffs), and how short-term that success (1 year only) is likely to be.

It's the Jets way, as same old Jets as it gets, we always sign other team's legend future HOF'ers on their way out.  

• Upvote 4

I was a big JD fan but I am starting to wonder.

On the plus side. Drafting both the OROY and DROY is a spectacular draft, but otherwise I would say his overall draft rating is at best a C even including Wilson. Sauce and Breece.

On the positive side he seems make great trades

On the negative outside of the Big 3 this year his drafts might be a D grade

He made a terrible decision at head coach.

He stood by that head coach that hired his best friends brother as OC, and did nothing to force Saleh to create a better environment for Zach to learn in.

His offseason has been a nightmare and trying to get Rodgers is idiotic.

His drunk declaration is embarassing. If I were the owner I might fire him over it.

I am really starting to think Rodgers or no both are lame ducks and we will be starting over again

• Upvote 1