Rap Sheet on McAfee says Jets/Pack "Deal is not done"

AFJF

McAfee asked Rapoport if a deal is done between the Jets and Packers based on what Douglas said and Rap Sheet says it was Douglas viewing the trade as too far along in the process to not get done, but no deal is in place.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You are a preeminent NFL Insider. It is literally your job to have insight into every pending NFL player transaction. You are reliably hand-fed this information via the league office and/or a self-interested agent promoting his ability to acquire massive financial gain for their client. 

—However, in this case, the player isn’t seeking any further financial gain, and the player specifically despises your profession—

Alas, you are a preeminent Insider and will be asked for status updates on this pending transaction. What do you do? You don’t want to lie, but you also don’t want to look like you’re not privy to the goings-on, even though you have no information either way. What do you do? You issue a nebulous, if factual bit of word salad. You say, “The deal is not done.” Which is true! When pressed to elaborate, you filibuster and say something like “the two sides are working behind the scenes!” Which is true! If someone asks you what, exactly, the two sides are “working” on? Well, my friend, you look into the camera and say, sternly, ambiguously, “…the details.” And that’s how you score a six figure deal from ESPN.

Good stuff. 1 nit: 7 figures

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The more reports I read in this the more concerned I become…..to me something is a little off at 1 jets dr. To many potential big fish backing out and signing with another team. Jets over confidence may just be smoke. I’m nervous 

Wouldn't worry about Rodgers at the moment.  I'd worry about how many years he hangs around.  If it's 1 year, which I expect it will be, next year's 1 is likely far out of range to get a new QB and the vet free agents will likely be meh.  Tannehill on a 2-year deal perhaps and draft a kid to develop?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I feel like they have the Draft as their deadline. If it gets PAST the draft, then I’d worry. 

But right now they’re just using these 3 weeks to be stubborn. 

If it goes past the draft, then there is no reason for GB to do the trade before June 1st due to the cap benefits.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The more reports I read in this the more concerned I become…..to me something is a little off at 1 jets dr. To many potential big fish backing out and signing with another team. Jets over confidence may just be smoke. I’m nervous 

You should be nervous. JD knows where you live and he’s always hungry.

Opposite of what everyone is saying, going past the draft would make complete sense and will prove the deal is done and waiting for the June 1st cap hit reduction. There is no doubt in my mind, the deal (or some form of a deal) is done. The only way it wouldn’t get done, would be if Rodgers himself decided to retire, and that’s 99.9% not happening. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

You are a preeminent NFL Insider. It is literally your job to have insight into every pending NFL player transaction. You are reliably hand-fed this information via the league office and/or a self-interested agent promoting his ability to acquire massive financial gain for their client. 

—However, in this case, the player isn’t seeking any further financial gain, and the player specifically despises your profession—

Alas, you are a preeminent Insider and will be asked for status updates on this pending transaction. What do you do? You don’t want to lie, but you also don’t want to look like you’re not privy to the goings-on, even though you have no information either way. What do you do? You issue a nebulous, if factual bit of word salad. You say, “The deal is not done.” Which is true! When pressed to elaborate, you filibuster and say something like “the two sides are working behind the scenes!” Which is true! If someone asks you what, exactly, the two sides are “working” on? Well, my friend, you look into the camera and say, sternly, ambiguously, “…the details.” And that’s how you score a six figure deal from ESPN.

This post should be required reading until Rodgers signs his contract, thus ending all speculation. Terrific post. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Really hoping this gets done post June 1st. No reason to panic.

If the packers do not do it before the draft then there is a reason to panic.

It will already be bad if it is not done before the draft.  We are going to have this guy for two years at most he has to be all in and 100% ready to start the year with no excuses.  Last year the first half of the year when the packers were bad it was all about unfamiliarity  with new receivers.

He should be working out with garret wilson and others not just lazard right now.

• More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

If the packers do not do it before the draft then there is a reason to panic.

It will already be bad if it is not done before the draft.  We are going to have this guy for two years at most he has to be all in and 100% ready to start the year with no excuses.  Last year the first half of the year when the packers were bad it was all about unfamiliarity  with new receivers.

He should be working out with garret wilson and others not just lazard right now.

I would like to see Rodgers working out with more WRs as well. The Packers have 10 draft picks this year, I could see them value a 2024 first over a 2023 second.

Douglas could say "eat $20m of that bad bonus, post June 1st, and the 2024 first is yours" 

Just a thought, idk if all parties could find this attractive.