Question about sports media “hot take” personalities

I don’t really get it. Everybody on twitter, Reddit, and message board says they hate Carton, Bayless, and Cowherd. Yet those three generate massive ratings and make tons of $. None of them really know sports very well if you listen to them. 

Craig Carton is a local guy and was trending nationally last week because of fake news. Starting crazy and unsubstantiated rumors is good for the Carton brand. 

What is wrong with us? 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Let me provide some old timey, helpful suggestions:

1.) A ______ and his _______ are soon parted

2.) There's a _______ born every minute

3.) The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and __________

4.) No one ever went ________underestimating the __________ of the American people

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

People who listen to sports radio are mostly people who like to call into these stations and there are a lot of them. Carton is a clown and to a certain extent so is Bayless and to a lesser, Cowherd. I really can't  believe you left Steven A off this list. I think he is the most offending of all. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

Let me provide some old timey, helpful suggestions:

1.) A ______ and his _______ are soon parted

2.) There's a _______ born every minute

3.) The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and __________

4.) No one ever went ________underestimating the __________ of the American people

Can I add

can’t fix _______

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Because twitter, reddit and message boards are not the majority of the population.  Most happily listen to these guys and dont need to run online and post about it.

It's not comforting that the majority of the population is that staggeringly stupid. 

The giant asteroid can't get here soon enough. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, AceRothstein said:

I don’t really get it. Everybody on twitter, Reddit, and message board says they hate Carton, Bayless, and Cowherd. Yet those three generate massive ratings and make tons of $. None of them really know sports very well if you listen to them. 

Craig Carton is a local guy and was trending nationally last week because of fake news. Starting crazy and unsubstantiated rumors is good for the Carton brand. 

What is wrong with us? 

I refuse to listen to Carton. (Or GreenBERG) whom yiu don’t mention.  I don’t have the opportunity to listen (watch?) the other two. Nothing is wrong with me. 

The business model of a local sports TV cable doesn't work all that well , may be because they're throwing $ at guys nobody watches. People think all kinds of dumb  economic things make sense , like Carmelo Anthony being paid $28 million to do nothing a few seasons back, same idea.  -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2023/03/14/bally-sports-regional-networks-go-to-bankruptcy-heres-what-happens-next/?sh=64bab207f7bc

On 4/10/2023 at 8:30 PM, AceRothstein said:

What is wrong with us? 

Then they are doing something right.

The latter two have existed for decades.  A credit to them for being able to transform as the mediums have changed. 

When Fox Sports launched, it needed content providers.  That they are still in prime slots is indicative that people will watch/listen to them.