Kiper kills it for Jets in latest mock

So I've mentioned this a few times but nobody has commented on it. I think it's a solid move to grab a tackle in round 1 IF all of our injured tackles aren't healthy. The reason being is we would be taking a big risk to have a rookie protect Aaron Rodgers blind side in possibly his only year. So does that mean he gets moved to right tackle (what about Becton and Mitchell)? I'd be very worried that he'll get Rodgers killed while he's adjusting to the speed of the NFL in the first few games. Maybe they could work him in gradually, but then he's not contributing right away in a win now team. That's one reason why I would consider WR in RD 1 and Center in RD2. We have plenty of OL - we weren't that great last year because we lost at least 5 of them AND the QB play emphasized that we lost 5 of them.

12 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

So I've mentioned this a few times but nobody has commented on it. I think it's a solid move to grab a tackle in round 1 IF all of our injured tackles aren't healthy. The reason being is we would be taking a big risk to have a rookie protect Aaron Rodgers blind side in possibly his only year. So does that mean he gets moved to right tackle (what about Becton and Mitchell)? I'd be very worried that he'll get Rodgers killed while he's adjusting to the speed of the NFL in the first few games. Maybe they could work him in gradually, but then he's not contributing right away in a win now team. That's one reason why I would consider WR in RD 1 and Center in RD2. We have plenty of OL - we weren't that great last year because we lost at least 5 of them AND the QB play emphasized that we lost 5 of them.

I don’t think taking a OT is unreasonable, and there’s value there if we stay at 13. Could also see a trade back and perhaps a plug and play C.  Without a doubt we need at least two picks on the OL along with a DT, S, and WR help. 

OT in Rd. 1 makes sense b//c 1. JD will not just draft for the present but he will draft with the future in mind. Aaron Rodgers or no Aaron Rodgers. And one thing we know for sure is that looking towards the next few years, we don't have definitive answers at either OT position. Good value early at a premium position. Also helps with depth to address a position with numerous health problems in the past. Kind of a no-brainer, IMO. 

A TE in Rd. 2 makes absolutely no sense. I'm sorry. It just doesn't. Next year? Maybe. This year? No. 

Conklin has an 'out' after 2023 but he is signed through 2024. He is a solid 'balanced' TE and can excel with quality QB play. 

The Jets are high on NJ native Jeremy Ruckert (otherwise they would not have drafted him as early as they did after signing two TEs in FA) and will want to give him reps to develop him. They are not giving up on him after one year, not even close. 

CJ is a blocking TE and is signed through 2024. He also has an 'out' after 2023 and could very well be a cap casualty. But that in no way suggests to me that the Jets would draft a TE as early as Rd. 2. It just doesn't make sense. And I don't vie Musgrave as a 'can't-miss' type prospect who, if eh fell, you ignore position and take the player anyway. 

C in Rd. 3 makes sense as well. Even if we sign a vet to start, we desperately need a long-term solution at C. But the Musgrave pick throws a wrench into things. I really think the Jets should take a C in Rd. 2. Hopefully the top C on the board will be available to them and he can compete to start. Then in Rd. 3 they can take a Safety, LB, WR or even Edge. Gives them lots of flexibility now that O-line has been firmly addressed with two starting caliber, high-end prospects. I don't know what will happen to Davis, but as the roster currently stands, the Jets could use a twitchy, speedy slot receiver. 'Tank' Dell out of Houston would be a prefect fit and could be available in Rd. 3. There are a ton of good LBs in this draft and the Jets could probably take one later. If they are looking at Safety, one of my favorites in this draft, and one that would fit for the Jets as an immediate impact player at the FS position is Sydney Brown out of Ill. Not sure if he will be available in Rd. 3. But that is my top target if he IS still on the board. Otherwise, Jammie Robinson, Jartavius Martin, Ronnie Hickman, etc. Again, should be plenty of options. Sydney Brown, however, is a plug and play guy with his leadership, versatility and high football IQ.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

OT in Rd. 1 makes sense b//c 1. JD will not just draft for the present but he will draft with the future in mind. Aaron Rodgers or no Aaron Rodgers. And one thing we know for sure is that looking towards the next few years, we don't have definitive answers at either OT position. Good value early at a premium position. Also helps with depth to address a position with numerous health problems in the past. Kind of a no-brainer, IMO. 

A TE in Rd. 2 makes absolutely no sense. I'm sorry. It just doesn't. Next year? Maybe. This year? No. 

Conklin has an 'out' after 2023 but he is signed through 2024. He is a solid 'balanced' TE and can excel with quality QB play. 

The Jets are high on NJ native Jeremy Ruckert (otherwise they would not have drafted him as early as they did after signing two TEs in FA) and will want to give him reps to develop him. They are not giving up on him after one year, not even close. 

CJ is a blocking TE and is signed through 2024. He also has an 'out' after 2023 and could very well be a cap casualty. But that in no way suggests to me that the Jets would draft a TE as early as Rd. 2. It just doesn't make sense. And I don't vie Musgrave as a 'can't-miss' type prospect who, if eh fell, you ignore position and take the player anyway. 

C in Rd. 3 makes sense as well. Even if we sign a vet to start, we desperately need a long-term solution at C. But the Musgrave pick throws a wrench into things. I really think the Jets should take a C in Rd. 2. Hopefully the top C on the board will be available to them and he can compete to start. Then in Rd. 3 they can take a Safety, LB, WR or even Edge. Gives them lots of flexibility now that O-line has been firmly addressed with two starting caliber, high-end prospects. I don't know what will happen to Davis, but as the roster currently stands, the Jets could use a twitchy, speedy slot receiver. 'Tank' Dell out of Houston would be a prefect fit and could be available in Rd. 3. There are a ton of good LBs in this draft and the Jets could probably take one later. If they are looking at Safety, one of my favorites in this draft, and one that would fit for the Jets as an immediate impact player at the FS position is Sydney Brown out of Ill. Not sure if he will be available in Rd. 3. But that is my top target if he IS still on the board. Otherwise, Jammie Robinson, Jartavius Martin, Ronnie Hickman, etc. Again, should be plenty of options. Sydney Brown, however, is a plug and play guy with his leadership, versatility and high football IQ.   

Did you watch the games last year?  Conklin is terrible yet somehow was second in the team in targets.

4 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

I’ve posted the same general idea regarding a tackle at 13 being more complicated than it seems. Think these guys are largely developmental, but there will be developmental tackles day 2 as well.  Even the idea of playing a guy on the right side for a bit and the left later, given these guys are still developing, isn’t super appealing to me.

If they believe that the guys are close (Jones and Johnson reportedly got better over the course of the season), or that there’s value to a day one plug and play RT who could maybe play LT eventually (Wright), or that someone has like top 5 tackle in the league upside then I think they can justify it. Just don’t think it’s the slam dunk some make it out to be.

21 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Also questioning the 4th best center in the top 50.

There is actually no big consensus on center from what i have seen in my research,  The center orders are all over the place, the same top 5 or 6 guys, but actual order is harem scare-um.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, bitonti said:

All the qb stuff aside it's an indictment on jd that he put endless resources into the offensive line and it's still a giant need 

At least he has tried I'll give him that much.  Unlike idiotic McCagnan who didn't know an olineman from a fire hydrant.

I recall when people on here were not all that upset when D'Brick packed it in and I had a dire warning that when a long time LT leaves it can take many years and lots of resources to actually fix that spot.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

At least he has tried I'll give him that much.  Unlike idiotic McCagnan who didn't know an olineman from a fire hydrant.

I recall when people on here were not all that upset when D'Brick packed it in and I had a dire warning that when a long time LT leaves it can take many years and lots of resources to actually fix that spot.

he's tried, which is nice, but some of these moves have been terrible. Laken was a lousy signing. Duane Brown was an overpriced panic move. Ryan Kalil was a joke of a signing.

As for the draft, AVT was a good pick. And Becton has some value, believe it or not. But Cam Clark was a waste of a mid-round pick, and Max Mitchell never really got time to develop before they threw him out there. 

I'm actually a fan of Wes Schweitzer, but it all adds up to one of the league's worst Lines. Bottom 10 by any metric.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Duane Brown is playing LT. He came back bc of Rodgers. The Jets could've easily parted ways with him and they didn't. The only spot up for debate is RT and that will either be Becton or Mitchell.  Drafting a tackle in the 1st rd would be a mistake. Imagine using the 1st rd pick on a guy and he doesn't start? The Jets need guys early on that will make an impact on the field right away, that's not a Tackle

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Imagine relying on a 38 yr old LT coming off shoulder surgery to play not just all 17 games but effectively.  

The Jets are all in it for this year. I don't expect the Jets to use any premium picks on picks that have a chance to not make an impact this year. And truthfully, this offensive tackle class is not great. No real can't miss players at all at the position. You can punch holes in all of them. Paris Johnson is the only tackle that should start year 1 and be expected to play well, the rest need work. 

The tackle group is deep in round 2.  If you're not going to get Johnson in the 1st you can good value in the 2nd and get a similar player as you would in the mid 1st.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

We have plenty of OL

Not sure how you come up with this...

I see a 39 year old LT - that was really banged up last year.

I see no RT

I see a LG what was god awful last year

I see a RG coming off a season ending injury

I see NO Center

With no depth to speak of...

Can this be addressed, I guess -  but I would say we have "plenty of OL"

All of this when we're giving up at least 2nd round picks and $60mm for a 40 year QB that was 90% retiring 6 weeks ago.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

I don't see us drafting a LT at #13. Most likely WR, DT, FS or trade back. We're definitely not drafting a player at #13 to redshirt him. We have 2 players that can play LT if an injury happens 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jet25 said:

I don't see us drafting a LT at #13. Most likely WR, DT, FS or trade back. We're definitely not drafting a player at #13 to redshirt him. We have 2 players that can play LT if an injury happens 

It would be hilarious if JD drafted a safety at 13 and all the people who hated Jamal Adams as a first Rd pick head can explode @Jetsfan80

32 minutes ago, Jet25 said:

WTF do the Jets need a WR at #13 while saying they don’t need a LT?  

Did some of you not learn a damn thing from last yr. 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, C Mart said:

WTF do the Jets need a WR at #13 while saying they don’t need a LT?  

Did some of you not learn a damn thing from last yr. 

Apparently we're looking for another WR since we were interested in OBJ. We don't need a LT. We have AVT or Becton but most likely AVT will be LT if Brown goes down.

Win now teams don't draft players to redshirt them to sit so don't see LT at #13