The Case for Corey Davis: Why the Jets' WR2 Deserves a Second Chance

There's been a lot of talk lately about whether the Jets should cut Corey Davis, given his lack of productivity and injury history since signing with the team. But the truth is, Davis has been hampered by bad QB play and a lack of a true alpha in front of him. With ascending Garret Wilson now on board and Aaron Rodgers joining the team, Davis will shine as the Jets' WR2.

Of course, the biggest questin marks surrounding Davis is his health. He's had a number of injuries and missed game in gangreen, and there's always a risk that he could go down again. But if he can stay healthy, Davis is exactly the kind of player the Jets need in their WR room. He's a talented receiver who can get open, make tough catches, and move the chains. His best days were as WR2 in Tenn, right behind a young WR1vand a monster in the backfield. Sound familiar?

With Wilson and Davis as the top two options at WR, the Jets have a formidable duo that could lead to big things on any given play. No more balls thrown behind them or just completely missing them in the cut wide open. And while some argued for OBJ that has never been a realistic option. Beckham may have once been a true alpha, but he's no longer that guy. The Ravens will learn the hard way paying 18 mill for him, Joe was never going to pay that number or anything close to it. Some try to knock my guy bu saying we missed out but as alwasy Joe was  going to do his due diligence and run OBJ though the phyciscal and see if he had a fit on the team at a team friendly cost.  The Jets are focusing on building a complementary group of players who can each fill their own role.

Ultimately, it's up to Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh to decide whether Davis is worth keeping on the roster. But if off season points to anything it is that we planned on Keeping Davis all along. With Wilson in front and Rodgers throwing them the ball.

Davis has a real chance to prove his doubters wrong and become the guy who came on a good contract to fill that WR2 role. He will be a NY jet this year and going to be a big part of why we get to the post season. Look for him to put up near a 1000 yards and 8 TD's this year. His best season will be this season. Book it.

• Upvote 4

I read somewhere that it would be wise to get a #2 who is good at beating man coverage when double teams roll over to Garrett.  Sounds like smart football strategy to me.

Davis is not good beating press coverage.  He's good finding soft spaces in the intermediate zone.  That might be a redundant skill, which is why the Jets looked long and hard at OBJ.

• Upvote 2

While I'm fine with the premise of Davis being worth another go this year ... I'd also point out that our OROY WR also had the same bad QB play this year. Didn't seem to hamper his production.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I can see them keeping Davis but only if they don’t draft a wr or find a different free agent. Lazard and hardman will more than make up for losing Moore and Davis. Mims may still yet be decent. The thing too is they have 3 tes capable of catching the ball and hall and carter.there will be plenty of targets with or without Davis.

• Upvote 1

He's simply unreliable.  Always hurt, and when he does manage to get on the field, he kills drives with brutal drops.

I was a fan of signing Davis.  I wanted to see him succeed.  Unfortunately, he's largely been a failure.  I'm OK with letting him play out his contract as a role player, but the Jets can and should do better at the WR2 spot.

• Upvote 1

The logical answer here would be that David would move on and the Jets would save his salary.  He can then move on to a team with a rookie QB who needs a veteran WR, and he would be overpaid.  Mims, a player that JD drafted in the second round, would take his place.  

I don't know whether Mims is ready to take his place, but the Jets cannot afford Davis.  If Davis wanted to stick around for a much lower salary, maybe that works.  

9 hours ago, oatmeal said:

No 

This is no young player, Davis is a JAG. Jets fans always with this wishful thinking with average players.

The fix is simple:

-Dhop

or

-Draft a dude 

Well I shouldn't have said young if I did. Agree both d hop and draft a dude is good idea. But davis goin in the season should be good for us.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Hate to break it to you bud, but OBJ was almost a Jet, so yes it was a realistic option. 

I do agree with finding a way to keep Corey Davis now that OBJ is no longer a possibility.

Hmmm. I m not sure how you get to that conclusion. He never even visited with us. Nor was there any offer on the table or even the assumption of said offer. He literally was a FA and we are team that needs WR. So I guess in that aspect he was "almost " a jet.

But I truly think davis could excell and finally have the season we thought we were going to get from him when we signed him.

53 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I'd rather have Davis than OBJ.  Not a question in my mind over that one.  And that holds true if OBJ could have been signed for half of what he got from the Ravens

He’s been underwhelming sure, but has produced when on the field with god awful qb play. I can see him being a 1k yards 5+ td guy with a good qb and staying relatively healthy 

2 hours ago, BurntDice said:

He’s been underwhelming sure, but has produced when on the field with god awful qb play. I can see him being a 1k yards 5+ td guy with a good qb and staying relatively healthy 

That's over the top with Wilson on the team.  The Jets are not a two 1000 yards receiver offense. But I can see Davis catching 40-50 passes for 5-600 yards and 4-5 TDs, which is fine for a #2/3

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That's over the top with Wilson on the team.  The Jets are not a two 1000 yards receiver offense. But I can see Davis catching 40-50 passes for 5-600 yards and 4-5 TDs, which is fine for a #2/3

Rodgers passes for around 4K yards every year. Those yards have to go somewhere. Davis had 550 last year with the worst qb play in the league and missing 5+ games. 1k is definitely achievable