PFF final '22 QB ratings

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

A "pretty good" WR group and an OL that "will be fine"

It's simply not good enough to win it all with a declining 40 year old QB on a one year rental.

How good was KC's WR group last season?  Not very.  Kelce (TE) and a lot of guys who aren't that exciting.  

They did invest heavily in the OLine after that awful experience in '21.  That's what I see us doing in this offseason. 

But based on what we saw from KC, I would say our WR group is more than good enough to win it all with a great QB throwing them the ball.

Your characterization of Rodgers is silly in light of the recent examples of Brady and Stafford.  Brady was older.  Stafford wasn't as good.  Both came in and won SBs on good teams.

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Lawson has been a huge disappointment.  I think we were all hoping he would be a terror coming off the edge. He does get sacks but he isn't  applying a pressure, at least I haven't  noticed it watching games. JFM is a good example of a steady guy on the DL but again, nobody os game planing to stop him and Huff os an opportunist sack guy. He doesn't  apply consistent  pressure. The only guy ypu can count on to disrupt a play is Q. When he is in there, he wrecks things. We need another guy that the OL has to worry about blocking and it isn't  Huff, JFM, JJ, Clemons, or Lawson

The D was good last year, was it not?  Why will it be worse in 2023?  The is a huge gap between want and need and you seem to be confusing the two.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

But based on what we saw from KC, I would say our WR group is more than good enough to win it all with a great QB throwing them the ball.

There's the rub. 

Rodgers will be 40, dealing, coming off his worst year, with one foot out the door.

expecting great QB play would be setting yourself up for a let down.  Rodgers, might be better than last year - but if you want to win a top 10 QB (not a top 5) you need to surround him with top tier talent. 

The Jets currently don't have that and from everything I've seen have little intention of adding it.

So yes, if you're expecting MVP Rodgers then the team is fine - if, like me, you're expecting more of what 2022 Rodger was - this team isn't close.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The D was good last year, was it not?  Why will it be worse in 2023?  The is a huge gap between want and need and you seem to be confusing the two.

The pass rush was ok. We should want better. The thing is, we haven't  had a pass rush in the longest time, so anything looks good. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

There's the rub. 

Rodgers will be 40, dealing, coming off his worst year, with one foot out the door.

expecting great QB play would be setting yourself up for a let down.  Rodgers, might be better than last year - but if you want to win a top 10 QB (not a top 5) you need to surround him with top tier talent. 

The Jets currently don't have that and from everything I've seen have little intention of adding it.

So yes, if you're expecting MVP Rodgers then the team is fine - if, like me, you're expecting more of what 2022 Rodger was - this team isn't close.

Little intention?  They were in on OBJ.  They were in on Orlando Brown.  They both signed deals big enough that I am not crushed about missing out.  They were in on Jake Brendel.  Who else were they supposed to get?  The idea that they are done with the O is silly.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

The pass rush was ok. We should want better. The thing is, we haven't  had a pass rush in the longest time, so anything looks good. 

Right.  We want to improve it, but the D is fine without it.

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Little intention?  They were in on OBJ.  They were in on Orlando Brown.  They both signed deals big enough that I am not crushed about missing out.  They were in on Jake Brendel.  Who else were they supposed to get?  The idea that they are done with the O is silly.

Right.  We want to improve it, but the D is fine without it.

The D wasn't  fine. At the end of the season they folded. Overall was a good season but we can't  have games like that one against the Lions 

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Lawson has been a huge disappointment.  I think we were all hoping he would be a terror coming off the edge. He does get sacks but he isn't  applying a pressure, at least I haven't  noticed it watching games. JFM is a good example of a steady guy on the DL but again, nobody os game planing to stop him and Huff os an opportunist sack guy. He doesn't  apply consistent  pressure. The only guy ypu can count on to disrupt a play is Q. When he is in there, he wrecks things. We need another guy that the OL has to worry about blocking and it isn't  Huff, JFM, JJ, Clemons, or Lawson

Lawson is who I thought he was at the time and stated as such (supported by data) to a chorus of downvotes.

He doesn’t have the bend and lateral agility to be a double digit sack guy. He’s still useful but expectations were stunningly overheated for the guy.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

There's the rub. 

What’s wrong with hoping for competitive football and a playoff berth and then going from there?

I will never understand the all-or-nothing mode of fandom. This is after all entertainment. I’d like a competent offense and a playoff team. Get to the dance, magic can happen. I’m not going to sit here and say “don’t want Rodgers because this team will lose in wildcard round anyway” (as if that is knowable in April with such specificity).

Fact is our young core is on rookie deals now. Hitting reset and basically forfeiting the season to try again with another rookie next draft or waiting for Zach to magically develop means kissing this window goodbye. Fans shouldn’t want that and JD and Saleh can’t afford it if they desire continued employment.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The D wasn't  fine. At the end of the season they folded. Overall was a good season but we can't  have games like that one against the Lions 

They gave up the big play at the end, but dude, they gave up 20 points and 7 were on a punt return.  That team had the 5th best scoring offense in the NFL. 

18 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

They just had to stop them on that last drive. That was a choke

Listen, I am not going to go back and forth on this, but when your D gives up 7 points less than a team averages (14 if you don't blame them for the punt return) you don't point to that as a reason the D needs improvement.  You also don't applaud the offense being able to take a lead late, when they scored a whopping 17 points against a team that gave up an average of 25 for the season.  The D might have choked, but if you think they are the main reason that game was lost, you need a lesson in team building.

Listen, I am not going to go back and forth on this, but when your D gives up 7 points less than a team averages (14 if you don't blame them for the punt return) you don't point to that as a reason the D needs improvement.  You also don't applaud the offense being able to take a lead late, when they scored a whopping 17 points against a team that gave up an average of 25 for the season.  The D might have choked, but if you think they are the main reason that game was lost, you need a lesson in team building.
Both can be true.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ok, but the last play they scored on was rediculous.  I read one of the players walked over to Mosley and said you guys suck. 

11 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes.  Little intention. This is JD's forte.  Go in on big names - but when the bidding heats up he bows out.

Again, I think that's fine for a normal year.  But this Rodgers year is far from normal.

If you were "intent" on building a championship caliber offense around a 40 year old QB you don't get outbid on the guys you target.  You do what it takes to get them in house.

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes.  Little intention. This is JD's forte.  Go in on big names - but when the bidding heats up he bows out.

Again, I think that's fine for a normal year.  But this Rodgers year is far from normal.

If you were "intent" on building a championship caliber offense around a 40 year old QB you don't get outbid on the guys you target.  You do what it takes to get them in house.

You want to outbid $18M on OBJ and $16M on Orlando Brown?  You do you, but I'm pretty sure that is a stupid way to do things.  They have flexibility.  As I keep saying, there will be other moves to be made and I think they will require some initial cap to bring Rodgers.

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

They just had to stop them on that last drive. That was a choke

Micaheal Jordan was 9-18 on potential game-tying or go-ahead FG in the final :24 of the 4th or OT in his playoff career.

Bum choked half the time.

When asked after the war why he thought the South lost the Battle of Gettysburg, Robert E. Lee famously replied, "I've always thought the Union Army had something to do with it."

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Micaheal Jordan was 9-18 on potential game-tying or go-ahead FG in the final :24 of the 4th or OT in his playoff career.

When asked after the war why he thought the South lost the Battle of Gettysburg, Robert E. Lee famously replied, "I've always thought the Union Army had something to do with it."

Those are about the worst anologies you could have brought up. Jordan was a champion.  Are the Jets Champions? He also made half the game winning shots. Have the Jets won half the games on last drives of a game given the opportunity? A war? Are you freaking kidding me? 

1 hour ago, jgb said:

https://youtu.be/IwgwBJ8NYt8

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Those are about the worst anologies you could have brought up. Jordan was a champion.  Are the Jets Champions? He also made half the game winning shots. Have the Jets won half the games on last drives of a game given the opportunity? A war? Are you freaking kidding me? 

Math isn’t an apology. It’s just… math.

Anyone can reduce a sample size to one to make any poor point they want.

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You want to outbid $18M on OBJ and $16M on Orlando Brown?  You do you, but I'm pretty sure that is a stupid way to do things.  They have flexibility.  As I keep saying, there will be other moves to be made and I think they will require some initial cap to bring Rodgers.

Yes and Yes.  

Do you want to trade 2 2nd round picks and paying $60mm for a one year rental of a 40 year old declining QB?  Because doing that without formidable offensive talent around him is a pretty stupid way to do things.

I have no problem with signing Rodgers or I have no problems with playing the prudent cap game.

My problem is you can't do both.  If you're making this play for Rodgers - anything other than making all-in (which means paying more than you want or normally would) is absolutely idiotic.

But you may be right.  Maybe they'll go out and find an all-pro T and maybe they'll go out and find an impact #2 WR.- Maybe they'll add a quality C...All of those things are surely possible - and that would be great.

All I'm saying is - as of now - two weeks from the draft that Jets have done very little to better the offense and they are currently a below average unit.