21 members have voted

1. 1. Which Team you got and reason

• Giants- #25
    • Washington- #16
    • Steelers- #17
    • Vikings- #23
    • Ravens- #22
    • Eagles- #31

If the board isn’t falling the way you like, or if a guy you love is falling……trade up and get him. The next year or two might be the best shot at a Super Bowl in my lifetime.  The jets need guys to help them beat buffalo , the bengals and the chiefs.  Trading down doesn’t assure you of anything either because the board could still fall in a lousy way. I’ve seen opinions that this draft has 20 players with a first round grade. You could make the argument that picks 21-32 are poor value and the last place you want to be  

This obsession with trading down is…..odd. 

• Upvote 2

Typically, teams trade up for QBs. 

I know the Commanders drafted Sam Howell last year but that was a 5th round flyer. Other than than, they have a 30yr old Brissett as their starter. If somehow Richardson or Levis slide to 13 and they like either guy as a developmental prospect, moving up only 3 spots makes a TON of sense for Washington. It would only cost them 150 points. Their 3rd. Maybe a future 4th as well? 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Larz said:

If the board isn’t falling the way you like, or if a guy you love is falling……trade up and get him. The next year or two might be the best shot at a Super Bowl in my lifetime.  The jets need guys to help them beat buffalo , the bengals and the chiefs.  Trading down doesn’t assure you of anything either because the board could still fall in a lousy way. I’ve seen opinions that this draft has 20 players with a first round grade. You could make the argument that picks 21-32 are poor value and the last place you want to be  

It all depends on who is there. 

Like you said, just depends on how the board is falling. Why trade up if one of the guys you want is practically guaranteed to be there? Conversely, why pass on a deal that add more draft capital if the guys at the top of your board are gone and the ones a bit lower on your board are not expected to be drafted until much later in Rd. 1 (or whatever- you catch my drift). 

I said this before, JD is not just drafting for NOW. He is drafting for the future. This is why he will not hesitate to take a LT as early as 13 despite the fact that we probably have Brown, Becton and Mitchell penciled in as the potential starters for THIS year. This is why I would not be surprised to see him draft a Center in Rd. 2 AND sign a vet in FA to start THIS year. 

JD knows this team can compete especially with a QB like Rodgers. But he has not given up on his mantra of building through the draft. The two do not have to be mutually exclusive. In fact, most teams that are competing year in year out have a combination of vets and young talent. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Larz said:

Sitting at #13, ther's a good chance the top 2-3 OT are gone which is priority #1 this draft. The positions where we have good depth are CB, Edge and WR and there should be a few of these players sitting at 13. Why overdraft a player at 13 when you can get an additional 2 or back into rd. 3?

Our next biggest need is DT, to pair with QW, and those players appear to be available 20-40 range (Mazi, Kancey and maybe Bresee falls) 

Is it obsession or preparation?

Think it'd be good to add the Saints. Their first two picks (29 and 40) are within 10 points of 13 on the trade value chart and they're always aggressive. Could easily see them come up to add a CB or a DL.

As you said, depends who falls. Easily could be Minnesota if Levis is there. They have ties to him and a longer term QB need. Tampa would be another for Levis. Giants could make sense for JSN or a corner.

• Upvote 2

The jets are going to have three or four possible targets, including a doomsday scenario where the board falls terribly. 

it’s a good neighborhood to be in for value, need and impact.  This isn’t a scenario where you can’t move up to get a QB because the teams in front of you also want a QB.  There also isn’t a big drop off in grades. It’s possible that the jets move back 2 or 3 spots but I really don’t see the logic in dropping back 8 or more spots  and dropping into the high 20s ?  Bizarre. 

Just a quick look at the prospect rankings and mocks the jets are in a good spot. 
Some player rankings. 
Rank 13

Peter Skoronski

Northwestern · OL · Junior

He's just so clean and balanced in his pass sets, even if power will tax him a little. But ultimately, Skoronski's lack of length could move him inside to guard, where I could see him developing into an Ali Marpet-level performer.

Rank 15

Broderick Jones

Georgia · OT · Sophomore (RS)

He's young and might need a year of seasoning, but Jones looks like a player whose best ball is in front of him. Although he couldn't beat out eventual sixth-round pick Jamaree Salyer at Georgia in 2021, Salyer's strong play as a Chargers rookie gives us some useful contex

_______

Rank 16

Nolan Smith

Georgia · Edge · Senior

Smith is an undersized edge rusher with elite change of direction and burst. As a pass rusher, he has a dynamic get-off from a two-point stance, and his ability to bend and close at the top of his rush is special. He is a very loose and twitched-up athlete. When he gets upfield, he can put his outside foot in the ground and explode back inside to defeat blocks. Against the run, he's at his best when he uses his quickness to slip blocks and penetrate. 

Rank 17

Darnell Wright

Tennessee · OT · Senior

Wright is a massive right tackle prospect. He lacks ideal foot quickness in pass protection, but does a nice job of staying square and staying patient. Defenders get into his chest, but he’s able to absorb and stop their charge because he has so much mass and power. He is late with his punch, but once he latches on, the play is over. He more than held his own against Alabama’s Will Anderson Jr. In the run game, he leans on his opponent and creates movement despite playing too high. He has success at the second level when he can stay on one track. 

________

15. Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU, 6-4, 193, Junior

Earning comparisons to NFL stars Tee Higgins of the Bengals and Mike Williams of the Chargers from scouts traveling through Fort Worth, Johnston offers this class's most exciting package of height, speed and ball-skills.

some mocks, starting with my guy Brendan Donohue. 

11 Titans Broderick Jones OT Georgia
12 Texans Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR Ohio St.
13 Jets Peter Skoronski OL  Northwestern

other mocks.   Breer:

13. Jets: Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

Let’s assume the New York Jets figure out this Aaron Rodgers thing. The reason I don’t think it’s happened yet is because the Jets don’t want to include this pick in a potential deal. In the end, I think they hold onto it and use it to keep the former MVP upright as much as possible.

Walter football 

New York Jets: Broderick Jones, OT/G, Georgia

Mekhi Becton has been a huge disappointment, so the Jets may use this pick to find a new offensive tackle.

I mean I could go on and on and on. JD loves to move around in the later rounds. So far in the 3 drafts he’s run it’s been stick and pick with the first pick (AVT and JJ were both trade UP) but all of the first picks have been stick and pick. 

if anything, you can say based on his history it’s more likely that JD trades up for OL or DL

37 minutes ago, derp said:

Think it'd be good to add the Saints. Their first two picks (29 and 40) are within 10 points of 13 on the trade value chart and they're always aggressive. Could easily see them come up to add a CB or a DL.

As you said, depends who falls. Easily could be Minnesota if Levis is there. They have ties to him and a longer term QB need. Tampa would be another for Levis. Giants could make sense for JSN or a corner.

I agree. The team that made the most sense to me would be the Saints. 

I would not trade down unless everyone I wanted is gone.  There are probably 10-11 impact players in this draft.  Several others could be starters but unlikely to be gamechangers.  If a gamechanger drops to 13, at any position, I would grab him as the best available.  

Today's excess could be tomorrows all-pro.  We can find players comparable to those that filled positions last year, easily.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

If one of the top 2 CB falls to #13.... I say the Steelers

If QB #4 falls to #13... I say Washington or Vikings

If JSN falls to #13.... I say Ravens or Giants

When was the last time the Steelers traded up?  I think organizationally they just don't. 

Giants or Vikings i could see.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

It all depends on who is there. 

Like you said, just depends on how the board is falling. Why trade up if one of the guys you want is practically guaranteed to be there? Conversely, why pass on a deal that add more draft capital if the guys at the top of your board are gone and the ones a bit lower on your board are not expected to be drafted until much later in Rd. 1 (or whatever- you catch my drift). 

I said this before, JD is not just drafting for NOW. He is drafting for the future. This is why he will not hesitate to take a LT as early as 13 despite the fact that we probably have Brown, Becton and Mitchell penciled in as the potential starters for THIS year. This is why I would not be surprised to see him draft a Center in Rd. 2 AND sign a vet in FA to start THIS year. 

JD knows this team can compete especially with a QB like Rodgers. But he has not given up on his mantra of building through the draft. The two do not have to be mutually exclusive. In fact, most teams that are competing year in year out have a combination of vets and young talent. 

Good point.  If Rodgers plays 2 years, we will be dealing with real cap issues.  The more young talent we have, the more likely we stay competitive post-Rodgers.  

2 hours ago, Larz said:

If its such a bad year for prospects, I would rather use my draft capital to trade for veterans, or for picks in future years.  

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Sam Howell/ Jacoby Brissett is the answer for the new ownership group?

New Ownership group will not have time to be making those kinds of decisions for this draft cycle.

New Owner changes will begin next offseason, not this offseason.

While word is a deal IS now in-place, it's not done, not ratified, and won't be for a bit still.

Yes, I expect Howell to start for the Ders' in 2023.

After that, everything is one the table, hopefully starting with the name/logo/rebranding most fans here are praying for with the new group.

New name/logo, new stadium plan, new Head Coach, new QB, all should in-progress or done for the 2024 season.

Stick and pick for OT, DL, Edge, maybe a WR, but otherwise move back. We need S, LB, TE, OG and OC which can all be had later as good prospects for good value.

Id love if we moved back and picked up a late 1st plus capital to swap for Aaron, then keep those two 2’s and grab a haul like: Brian Bresee, John Michael Smith, O’Cyrus Torrence

Duane, AVT, JMS, O’Cyrus, Becton

Laken is backup LG, if he’s isn’t sh*t again it allows us to move AVT to RT if needed.

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'll admit that I haven't followed this draft that closely but most of what I've heard is that it's short on truly elite players -- trading back seems like a mistake to me.

People always talk about Douglas trading back early in the draft, but he has proven a couple of times now that he's a guy who targets top prospects he loves. I think they take their favorite player at 13. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'll admit that I haven't followed this draft that closely but most of what I've heard is that it's short on truly elite players -- trading back seems like a mistake to me.

I'm hopeful someone falls in love with one of the non big 3 QBs, like Hooker, and moves up with us.

Several mocks have Hooker going later in the 1st but you just know someone out there wants him bad in that range and will get antsy.  

But then again if a team likes Hooker that much they'd probably try to move into the top 10 to make it happen. 

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm hopeful someone falls in love with one of the non big 3 QBs, like Hooker, and moves up with us.

Several mocks have Hooker going later in the 1st but you just know someone out there wants him bad in that range and will get antsy.  

But then again if a team likes Hooker that much they'd probably try to move into the top 10 to make it happen. 

There's always someone willing to pay big for a Hooker.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Larz said:

JD loves to move around in the later rounds. So far in the 3 drafts he’s run it’s been stick and pick with the first pick (AVT and JJ were both trade UP) but all of the first picks have been stick and pick. 

if anything, you can say based on his history it’s more likely that JD trades up for OL or DL

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

People always talk about Douglas trading back early in the draft, but he has proven a couple of times now that he's a guy who targets top prospects he loves. I think they take their favorite player at 13. 

Perhaps, but his pattern in/around the top 30 is also based on circumstance:

• 2020: desperately needed a tackle and his (allegedly) first choice of the 4 was still there for him at 11.
  • 2021 and 2022: had a wealth of extra day 1-2 picks (and more). It made little to no sense to trade down.

Now in 2023: he has far fewer holes (strictly speaking, C is the only outright hole; the rest are pessimistic feelings, justified or not). He’s not only without an extra 1st and 2nd (or extra 1st , 3rd, 4th, etc.) but he’ll be without a 3rd rounder and more, figuring one of this year’s 2nds is going to Green Bay.

He may yet trade up or just stay,  it this year’s circumstances are different. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

• 2020: desperately needed a tackle and his (allegedly) first choice of the 4 was still there for him at 11.
  • 2021 and 2022: had a wealth of extra day 1-2 picks (and more). It made little to no sense to trade down.

Now in 2023: he has far fewer holes (strictly speaking, C is the only outright hole; the rest are pessimistic feelings, justified or not). He’s not only without an extra 1st and 2nd (or extra 1st , 3rd, 4th, etc.) but he’ll be without a 3rd rounder and more, figuring one of this year’s 2nds is going to Green Bay.

Good point. Trying to identify a pattern from such a small sample size with so many variables is probably a fools errand.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I would like him to trade down if possible or at least strongly consider it. And I could absolutely see it. 

I do get the sense he falls in love though