Woody Johnson Getting it Right on Aaron Rodgers While Packers Pundits Miss Major Point

Woody-Johnson-scaled.jpg

Woody Johnson knows that the Aaron Rodgers saga has grown more than old at this point with a new angle, update or opinion seeming to emerge on a weekly basis with the owner himself front and center on the newest development.

The latest update regarding the negotiations claim that it was Johnson balked at a previously agreed up on deal between the two teams after hearing Rodgers say he felt as if he were “ninety percent retired” before deciding to come back and play.  This, according to insider Charles Robinson of Yahoo.

That, and of course Rodgers’ contract is a major factor that many in Green Bay appear to be missing with a surprising degree of regularity.  The possibility of paying Rodgers $100 million for one year of football remains a possibility, while giving up multiple premium draft choices for the privilege of doing so.

We talk about that and plenty of draft prospects on this Friday night episode of JetNation radio in the video above.

The post Woody Johnson Getting it Right on Aaron Rodgers While Packers Pundits Miss Major Point appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

Woody-Johnson-scaled.jpg

Woody Johnson knows that the Aaron Rodgers saga has grown more than old at this point with a new angle, update or opinion seeming to emerge on a weekly basis with the owner himself front and center on the newest development.

The latest update regarding the negotiations claim that it was Johnson balked at a previously agreed up on deal between the two teams after hearing Rodgers say he felt as if he were “ninety percent retired” before deciding to come back and play.  This, according to insider Charles Robinson of Yahoo.

That, and of course Rodgers’ contract is a major factor that many in Green Bay appear to be missing with a surprising degree of regularity.  The possibility of paying Rodgers $100 million for one year of football remains a possibility, while giving up multiple premium draft choices for the privilege of doing so.

We talk about that and plenty of draft prospects on this Friday night episode of JetNation radio in the video above.

The post Woody Johnson Getting it Right on Aaron Rodgers While Packers Pundits Miss Major Point appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

I don't believe this at all. Woody may indeed at this point second guessing the whole thing but it was GB that changed the parameters. Rodgers even said it in his interview. It has been reported by numerous sites that Mark Murphy did not like the trade Guttenkurst agreed to

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I don't believe this at all. Woody may indeed at this point second guessing the whole thing but it was GB that changed the parameters. Rodgers even said it in his interview. It has been reported by numerous sites that Mark Murphy did not like the trade Guttenkurst agreed to

Whether woody or guttenkurst changed the parameters is a moot point

At the end of the day Rodgers is under the Packers control and they could simply fall back and just play Rodgers this year. Jordan love isn't going anywhere and Rodgers hates the front office, not his teammates or the town. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 3

12 minutes ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

Again this is why if I'm Douglas I'm not getting tunnel vision with Rodgers and I'm looking very hard at Levis or stroud.  It's right frickin there, two franchise qbs IMHO and Douglas/ woody are humiliating themselves for a 40 year old QB. 

Come on man

There is no chance the jets are drafting another QB high just two years after wilson, it is not happening.

The jets options for QB look like this Rodgers and......nothing else.  They have painted themselves into a corner and now have to hope the packers semi cave in.  That is it, no other option.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Walk away from $100 million?  Sure.  

Packers give him a hundred mil so they get no look at Jordan Love and either pick up has fifth-year option for another bucket of cash without knowing if he can play or not, or let him walk and waste $100 mil and a first-round pick to wind up with no QB?

Yeah, why can't people understand how very likely this is?

That's the point. He's not going to Walk away. Guttenkurst knows this. And Rodgers will simply be the QB for green bay 

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Walk away from $100 million?  Sure.  

Packers give him a hundred mil so they get no look at Jordan Love and either pick up has fifth-year option for another bucket of cash without knowing if he can play or not, or let him walk and waste $100 mil and a first-round pick to wind up with no QB?

Yeah, why can't people understand how very likely this is?

If Rodgers said he wants to play in green bay for 3 more years, love still isn't going anywhere man. They would extend him too. 

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There is no chance the jets are drafting another QB high just two years after wilson, it is not happening.

The jets options for QB look like this Rodgers and......nothing else.  They have painted themselves into a corner and now have to hope the packers semi cave in.  That is it, no other option.

Douglas literally can't check mate himself because then guttenkurst will ask for a ridiculous amount of picks. 

That's not rational 

• More Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

That's the point. He's not going to Walk away. Guttenkurst knows this. And Rodgers will simply be the QB for green bay 

What the **** are you talking about ? Isn’t it time for you to shuffle off ? 

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

Yes, of course he will.  Of course.

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

This somehow accepted narrative that Woody is holding up the deal is completely baseless, not to mention improbable.

A guy said a thing, so it must be true!

Why is it improbable? Whoever is holding up the deal deserves huge kudos whether it's Woody, Joe D or Hymie but I don't get why it's improbably that it's Woody. 

25 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Why is it improbable? Whoever is holding up the deal deserves huge kudos whether it's Woody, Joe D or Hymie but I don't get why it's improbably that it's Woody. 

1. It's Douglas's job to look beyond Rodgers. 

2. If after the draft Douglas only has Zach Wilson, how will he have any leverage against guttenkurst? 

Rodgers isn't passing up 100 million, he'll happily play QB for gb and give Murphy/ guttenkurst the finger. 

Simultaneously where's the chess move? 

Zach Wilson starting, Wentz? 

Getting Levis takes out two birds with one stone

1. It takes away leverage from green bay ( jets have Levis plus a bridge QB)

2. Douglas has a viable option and vision for the future in Levis or Stroud

If theres another chess move I don't see it. Luckily the cards are trying to move back which is perfect for the jets. 

Getting Levis helps screw guttenkurst and prevents him from holding all the cards

7 minutes ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

2. If after the draft Douglas only has Zach Wilson, how will he have any leverage against guttenkurst? 

Rodgers isn't passing up 100 million, he'll happily play QB for gb and give Murphy/ guttenkurst the finger. 

If theres another chess move I don't see it. Luckily the cards are trying to move back which is perfect for the jets. 

Getting Levis helps screw guttenkurst and prevents him from holding all the cards

You make a move for a different vet whose ownership isn't insane.  This is a one-year deal that likely results in nothing more than a playoff appearance.  Who cares if it's Rodgers or Ryan Tannehill getting you to the playoffs before you start the QB search over again?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You make a move for a different vet whose ownership isn't insane.  This is a one-year deal that likely results in nothing more than a playoff appearance.  Who cares if it's Rodgers or Ryan Tannehill getting you to the playoffs before you start the QB search over again?

If it's just for one year than it's Douglas's job to put himself in the best position not to get over leveraged and to obviously plan beyond this year.

Hypothetically if you get Rodgers and win 13 games, how will you position your franchise to get a QB in 24 or 25. 

Stroud and Levis are available now. 

No Zach is not an option....

2 hours ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

nervously_sipping_coffee_spaceballs.gif&

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I’d be surprised if there aren’t a lot of people inside the building who would prefer Tannehill for a year anyway. It’d be so much cheaper, and Tannehill is beloved by coaches and teammates alike. The Jets not getting Rodgers is 100% Packers fan fan-fiction, but there are a few scenarios where walking away from this deal might be a blessing in disguise. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

@T0mShane The Jets not getting Rodgers is 100% Packers fan fan-fiction, but there are a few scenarios where walking away from this deal might be a blessing in disguise. 

No Deal Pros: Saving Cap Space; No Uncertainty Regarding 2024 & Dead $ Hit; Rodgers Peculiarities Arising Mid-Season; No High Draft Picks Traded Away

No Deal Cons: Less Familiarity With Offensive System for Different QB; No Championship Pedigree in the QB Room; Zach Wilson Possible Starter; Missed Out on Quality FA Signings for Nothing

There is too much riding on this deal for both teams not to have it happen…. it’s just a matter of when & for how much compensation.

Deal happens Day 2 or 3 of Draft, or we’re heading into the summer with Rodgers escalating the pressure on GB at OTA’s. I don’t think Matt Lefleur wants this drama heading into camp. 

Hoping that JD takes this negotiation beyond the Draft & make the compensation all about Rodgers availability and performance in 2023

Edited by 32EBoozer
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

@T0mShane The Jets not getting Rodgers is 100% Packers fan fan-fiction, but there are a few scenarios where walking away from this deal might be a blessing in disguise. 

No Deal Pros: Saving Cap Space; No Uncertainty Regarding 2024 & Dead $ Hit; Rodgers Peculiarities Arising Mid-Season; No High Draft Picks Traded Away

No Deal Cons: Less Familiarity With Offensive System for Different QB; No Championship Pedigree in the QB Room; Zach Wilson Possible Starter; Missed Out on Quality FA Signings for Nothing

There is too much riding on this deal for both teams not to have it happen…. it’s just a matter of when & for how much compensation.

Deal happens Day 2 or 3 of Draft, or we’re heading into the summer with Rodgers escalating the pressure on GB at OTA’s. I don’t think Matt Lefleur wants this drama heading into camp. 

Hoping that JD takes this negotiation beyond the Draft & make the compensation all about Rodgers availability and performance in 2023

The lone appeal of getting Rodgers is that there’s a good chance he gives us 65%/4,000/32 TDs/ 7 INTs and that might good enough to get Saleh and the Jets into the third quarter of an AFC Championship Game in KC tied at 17. Pretty much everything else about acquiring Rodgers is going to be a net negative. His dead money will hurt all the way through 2025-26, he’s going to suck the pulp out of both Saleh and Douglas’ perceived authority, and he’s going to say ridiculous sh*t that turns him and the Jets into meme material for The New Yorker set every other week. It all only works if we get to that third quarter in KC, which is a distinct possibility with Rodgers.

But if Rodgers wakes up tomorrow and decides he wants to go be a shaman or some sh*t? Like you said: see if Tennessee will give us Tannehill. Draft a rookie. Trade Zach somewhere. Cobble it together again. 

7 hours ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

I mean where are you getting this he is staying in GB? Rogers has already said he wants  to play in NY. He has also publicly  said he is upset with the Packers.  The Packers at this point are happy to trade him and the Jets are willing to take him. Just because the deal hasn't  been finalized  doesn't  mean it won't  happen and this BS that Woody suddenly grew a set of balls and wants  to play hardball on this is just some writer looking for an angle on a slow football news day when all the news is NHL and NBA playoffs as well as MLB season kicking off. 

I mean did you jist start reading sports news? 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’d be surprised if there aren’t a lot of people inside the building who would prefer Tannehill for a year anyway. It’d be so much cheaper, and Tannehill is beloved by coaches and teammates alike. The Jets not getting Rodgers is 100% Packers fan fan-fiction, but there are a few scenarios where walking away from this deal might be a blessing in disguise. 

Great post. Woody saying “we’re done here” would be the best thing he could do for this franchise other than selling . If he wasn’t such a bad guy, I would have had Carson Wentz in here 3 weeks ago.

• Upvote 1

There’s a mind game going on.

BS report that leaked that SF and NE could get involved. No legs to it. No one credible reporting it. GB fans have taken that as if it’s legit and are trying to make it something.

JD last week goes and says AR is coming here. Putting our side a bit back in the news.

Now another rather BS report that we backed out of the deal and changed our offer post McAfee.

For me a lot doesn’t align with all of this on the GB side. SF isn’t trading a haul when they have Purdy. Who in reality could be ready week 1. It’s GB fans thinking he could be out all year or half the year bc that fits their narrative. If SF was in on this… they’d already be in. Never mind that AR himself has only said 1 team out in public he wouldn’t play for. Guess who that team was? SF. AR doesn’t forget things and doesn’t forget SF passing on him in the draft. The NE rumor is even more laughable. AR and BB are a good match? Come on. AR is going to want to follow in Brady’s footsteps? Come on. And oh yeah… NE doesn’t have a good offense. So he likely doesn’t want to go there even if those other factors weren’t true.

Now to the report we backed out and changed our offer. Something that gets failed to be brought up in this was that there was 9 days from the day of us meeting AR to when he was on McAfee. So even if you believe this report (which I don’t at all). Explain how a deal was 100% agreed to in order for him to visit and yet that deal after the visit went good and AR wanted to be a Jet… that no deal went through for 8 more days? Makes no sense. If there was a dela greed to pre visit he wouldn’t been trade in those 8 days. It would’ve gone fast. What I think happened was a very vague compensation was agreed to. And GB so they don’t look bad is trying to flip the story.

For me now. I want this deal post draft. Use those picks to help us even more as a win now team. And pressure the league might give both sides for scheduling and camp starting end of May… still made where a deal should be done in the couple weeks post draft

6 hours ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

I have to ask. Are you expecting the Jets to jump into the top 4 or 5 to draft Stroud? And as far as Levis who is also mocking in the top 5, even if he slips, I doubt he gets by Atlanta who picks 8th. They can't  be looking at Ridder as the man with Levis who is a better prospect sitting there. 

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The lone appeal of getting Rodgers is that there’s a good chance he gives us 65%/4,000/32 TDs/ 7 INTs and that might good enough to get Saleh and the Jets into the third quarter of an AFC Championship Game in KC tied at 17.

Woody is raising ticket prices… he needs AFC  Championship Game, which only comes with AR.

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

But if Rodgers wakes up tomorrow and decides he wants to go be a shaman or some sh*t? Like you said: see if Tennessee will give us Tannehill. Draft a rookie. Trade Zach somewhere. Cobble it together again. 

1 step forward 2 steps back… again!

scared homer simpson GIF

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If you were in the same position that Joe Douglas and Robert Saleh find themselves going into the 2023 season would you really want to go all in on a 35 year old QB who missed 5 games last year coming off ankle surgery?  These guys are playing for their jobs. 

• Upvote 2