Quinnen Williams - Sign long term?

hawk

Playing devils advocate.

Reports are coming out that Williams is looking for around 23 to 25 Million.  That would mean somewhere around a 4 year $115 Million Extension, right?

Currently $10 Million Cap Hit for 2023, and then Free Agent.  2023 Franchise Tag was $18 Million and my guess is close to $19 Million in 2024.

Personally, I feel the franchise tag is bad business.  Its good to keep negotiations going, but bad precedent to use it as a long term tool.  Imo, Sign him or trade him.  

That said, no rush to sign him.  Perhaps make this year his contract year, and see if he can repeat?

So Devils Advocate....

Was he more dominate the 2 above average players?  You could sign two solid players for his asking price.

Is he replaceable for the right trade compensation and cap security?  What would that compensation be?

Does trading him have poor optics?  From a locker room / free agency stand point.

What alternatives are available if you do move on?

Granted, it takes two teams to deal, but needed a break from the Rodgers talk and this report come out.

Are we talking about another Aaron Donald or MO Wilkerson?

1 hour ago, Kelly to Allen no huddle said:

Id look to sign him long term if he can do it two years in a row. I don't trust guys that suddenly dominate in their contract year

This. If he plays like he did last season again I would consider a big extension. I like his playing style a lot but it's bad to have a contract year player suck after getting the money, because it's a big contract and nobody to trade him to.

I'd be far more receptive to signing him long term if our coaches actually played their best players on defense more.  One reason Quinnen had a step up last year is they actually played him like 68% of the snaps on D up from previous years, but still far lower than other DTs who are getting paid like Payne and Simmons who are playing like 85 and 90% of the snaps.

11 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I think it's a safe bet Quinnen Williams is getting long-term commitment from the Jets. He's a core player who gives the Jets D an identity. Like Aaron Donald does for the Rams D and Cam Heyward does for the Steelers D.

Heyward around 80% D snaps

Donald around 95% of D snaps

Payne around 85% of D snaps

Simmons around about 85 %

Quinnen probably about 68%

We need to sigm him and we need to up his snaps to he level of the other D tackles in this league.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I'd like to sign him but any player outside a franchise QB has a price.  If someone is willing to give up two 1sts plus then I'd be willing to entertain the idea.  

Nobody's complaining about trading Jamal Adams anymore even though he was "the best player on the team".

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Jets and their fans never want to give our players a second deal. In 3 years we’ll be complaining about what it will cost for Sauce and Garret Wilson.

we like a few things here. Drafting OL in the 1st round, hoarding cap space, and trading down in the draft.

I think it's more so the realization that very few players are worth a massive second contract. Id probably give big q the extension but if a team gave up massive draft capital id probably take it. At the end of the day he's not an outside pass rusher. Inside guys can only impact so much 

5 hours ago, hawk said:

Playing devils advocate.

Reports are coming out that Williams is looking for around 23 to 25 Million.  That would mean somewhere around a 4 year $115 Million Extension, right?

Currently $10 Million Cap Hit for 2023, and then Free Agent.  2023 Franchise Tag was $18 Million and my guess is close to $19 Million in 2024.

Personally, I feel the franchise tag is bad business.  Its good to keep negotiations going, but bad precedent to use it as a long term tool.  Imo, Sign him or trade him.  

That said, no rush to sign him.  Perhaps make this year his contract year, and see if he can repeat?

So Devils Advocate....

Was he more dominate the 2 above average players?  You could sign two solid players for his asking price.

Is he replaceable for the right trade compensation and cap security?  What would that compensation be?

Does trading him have poor optics?  From a locker room / free agency stand point.

Granted, it takes two teams to deal, but needed a break from the Rodgers talk and this report come out.

You def want to see it again but this guy deserves the long term contract. Make it team friendly jaha

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Dax89 said:

I'd like to sign him but any player outside a franchise QB has a price.  If someone is willing to give up two 1sts plus then I'd be willing to entertain the idea.  

Nobody's complaining about trading Jamal Adams anymore even though he was "the best player on the team".

That's because he was a safety. Q plays a premium position that you need a playmaker for. He is def better than two average guys we have had average guys before and I would not want any of them over q

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Let’s look at it this way-in year 3 AR will not be on the team, but the Jets will still be carrying $30mm of cap space, plus the cost of his replacement QB.   The Jets will compete again hopefully in 2027 or so.  Maybe we can’t afford to carry Quinnen at a high cost in 2025 and 2026.  He is cheap this year and even his franchise year. 

I don’t honk qwills snap count would or should go up. That’s determined by saleh and the people playing behind him. Whether or not it should count towards his contract is debatable.  Consider that if qwill is playing 100% at 65% snap counts just what level would he have to play at 100% of the snaps? Hard to say because there could be that one or two times when he’s gassed and gives up a huge play. But there are good points to replacing his salary with two or more players that combined play 100% on 100% of the snaps.  I think the jets will re- sign him if only to send a sign to the up and coming players like sauce and Wilson and hall.  True they probably can’t afford all of those players at max level but it might help to keep their heads in the game more.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hawk said:

Playing devils advocate.

So Devils Advocate....

Q. Will was DPOY conversation last year, easily.  He's by far the best player on the NY Jets and JD slow playing his contract has ****ed the Jets from a negotiations stand point.  Every day he waits, he lets another DT set a new market.  It's a very very stupid game JD is playing, Q.Will is the player, he cant afford to lose.  This D will suck ass w/out Q.Will and the only reason why anyone thinks this team has the potential to be good is because of the D and Q. Will is the fuel that ignites the engine. 

• Upvote 4

I'll be honest, I think he'd join the long line of Jets D-Linemen who got paid, then disappeared.

But I get why they have to try and get him signed long term.

But JD strikes me as cheap, so if I had to predict, I predict we don't resign him, but trade him in some way instead.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If not for Rodgers, this is all wed be talking about.  Joe D has never signed anyone to a massive contract.  Quinnen is a mike mcagnan guy.

I have a feeling this is going to get ugly.

In part I think because nobody  ever earned one here. Not even close, trading Jamal was a no brainer and he got silly picks for him. Non premium position, if he trades Q for less than he got for Adams we can officially declare him slipping. Because of this and all the energy towards Rodgers I can see him franchise him in a one year prove it deal. Agreed, it will be ugly. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'd be far more receptive to signing him long term if our coaches actually played their best players on defense more.  One reason Quinnen had a step up last year is they actually played him like 68% of the snaps on D up from previous years, but still far lower than other DTs who are getting paid like Payne and Simmons who are playing like 85 and 90% of the snaps.

This is a valid point also.  25Million as a 70% player.  That isn't to say he doesn't want to play more just doesn't make a lot of sense.

3 hours ago, Asymmetrical said:

He's a 25 year old all-pro at a premium position and he's provided more impact plays than all the guys who have signed already. It would be very dumb to lose him

This. Also, the optics and locker room impact would not be good. That stuff matters.

1 hour ago, hawk said:

This is a valid point also.  25Million as a 70% player.  That isn't to say he doesn't want to play more just doesn't make a lot of sense.

The coaching staff has determined that guys are more impactful playing less snaps and going harder for the snaps they do play. And he made more impact plays than the other guys despite playing less snaps. It’d be great if he made even more, but it’s not like he’s seeing a decrease in productivity. And you’re paying for the impact plays, not the snaps.

• Upvote 4

From what it looks like on OTC there is a benefit to extending him cap wise, and the price keeps going up with every guy getting extended, so the only explanation for the delay is Q’s demands. I’m sure the jets would love to extend him at a reasonable and fair deal. 

like Rodgers, I think this is an early June move just prior to mini camp 

13 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Jets and their fans never want to give our players a second deal. In 3 years we’ll be complaining about what it will cost for Sauce and Garret Wilson.

we like a few things here. Drafting OL in the 1st round, hoarding cap space, and trading down in the draft.

You could have Patrick Mahomes on this team and a good portion of this fan base complain about “overpaying” him

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'll be honest, I think he'd join the long line of Jets D-Linemen who got paid, then disappeared.

But I get why they have to try and get him signed long term.

But JD strikes me as cheap, so if I had to predict, I predict we don't resign him, but trade him in some way instead.

Spot on with all this....he's gonna get paid and disappear.....he should be signed for harmony in the locker room purposes and to avoid drama in the media but JD will slow play it and sign or trade him when he's forced to do so. 

22 minutes ago, undertow said:

Spot on with all this....he's gonna get paid and disappear.....he should be signed for harmony in the locker room purposes and to avoid drama in the media but JD will slow play it and sign or trade him when he's forced to do so. 

For what the Jets want to do, having Quinnen basically locked in to play for $10mm in 2023 and $20mm in 2024 is a really good deal..  Its nice that Quinnen wants to make $23mm-$25mm, but he may have to wait until the Jets no longer control him.  

The Simmons contract is pretty close.  Quinnen’s cap hit would be reduced this year, and next year slightly more.  Then the money kicks in.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/jeffery-simmons-29054/ 

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Where do you go to see snap counts or %? I didn’t think any dl played 85-90% of snaps

Edit and adding picture. I found it and Simmons only played 71% so your comment is false like i believed it was. Payne did have a high snap count though at around 86 which is very uncommon. 

0AD80546-33F6-438A-922F-2A183092F505.png

If Arron Rogers becomes a Jets it's almost guaranteed Quinnen is gone by next year. There is no way the Jets can absorb 60 million in Dead Money and be able to pay Quinnen. Unless Rogers was playing for more then 2 years no way to spread his cap hit out. He retires after next season The Jets will be in real cap hell.

13 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Heyward around 80% D snaps

Donald around 95% of D snaps

Payne around 85% of D snaps

Simmons around about 85 %

Quinnen probably about 68%

We need to sigm him and we need to up his snaps to he level of the other D tackles in this league.

Yes. And Saleh would say "How are those 90% guys late in the 4th quarter with the game on the line?". While 68% Q is smashing Aaron Rogers in the face to seal the game or throwing Tyreek Hill into next week, your 90% guys are gasping for air.

He may have a point.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Yes. And Saleh would say "How are those 90% guys late in the 4th quarter with the game on the line?". While 68% Q is smashing Aaron Rogers in the face to seal the game or throwing Tyreek Hill into next week, your 90% guys are gasping for air.

He may have a point.

Those guys are playing great in the 4th quarter that is whey they are getting paid.

The jets over rotate, it's a mantra with them.   They trade up in the 1st round to get a guy like johnson at salehs behest and then play him like 40% of the time. 

Lets pay quinnen and make sure he is real fresh and give him 50% of the snaps!

Funny that dline is about the only position on a football team that actually gets tired.

The young, core guys on each side of the ball who look like they should be given big $$$ to stay longterm are:

Defense:  Quinnen, Sauce - Two guys at different levels of the D playing key positions.

Offense:  AVT, Wilson - AVT's Pro Bowl caliber play at OG and flexibility to play LT.  Wilson may be the Jets best weapon in a decade(s).

God willing we eventually find a young QB worthy of a huge contract that forces the Jets to let a good player walk.

• Upvote 1