Lots of debate about Skoronski...would you take him at 13?

AFJF

29 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Rashawnn Slaters arms are like 3/4 of an inch longer.

If you are up against those rare rush ends who have vines for arms it may be a factor but smarts and footwork is way more important from my point of view.

I agree. The arm length stuff is a little overrated. Foot quickness and the ability to anchor is way more important 

• Upvote 2

His length is enough of a concern to likely shift him to guard. That brings into question whether he would merit being picked at 13, or whether he is the best fir for the Jets. That said, he's a very good player, and a team with a bigger hole at guard would probably benefit from him more.

I personally like Jones a lot because I think he is the best prototypical LT. He has solid technique and he has a very good pass set. To me, he makes the most sense for a team looking at LT.

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nothing has changed, the 'length' criticism has been #1 on Skoronski since the start.

Skoronski is highly rated because he is athletic as hell, smart as hell, and has positional flexibility.  He could absolutely start day 1 at Tackle in the NFL (don't let the "short arm" analytic folks convince you otherwise).  He could also be a Guard day 1 as well.

Are there Tackle prospects with perhaps higher potential ceilings, yes thats likely.  Are they as ready to start day 1, eh, probably not.  Can they play tackle and guard day 1, probably not.

Skor is perfect for US because of that positional flex.  If Becton poops the bed again, he can step in at Tackle and we're likely fine.  if not, he starts at guard and locks that spot down hard.  He's not going to bust, period.  He's a 10 year starter for someone.

The site I use has him ranked #1 overall at O-line (all positions).

They say:

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS

• Exceptional athleticism
  • High football intelligence
  • Natural leader with high work ethic
  • Crisp hand technique and pass sets
  • Firm anchor and dynamic base in protection
  • Effective vertical movement on double teams
  • Ability to string out point of attack horizontally
  • Projects well to gap and power concepts

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES

• Limited length, arm length, and overall wingspan more typical of a guard. A number of pro teams would consider him a blue-chip LT prospect as a result
  • Struggles getting his hands attached to a rusher due to short arms
  • Short second-level angles when climbing to pick off backside flow
  • Play strength not strong enough to be seen as a pro tackle
  • Inconsistent hitting of landmarks - needs more consistency
  • Has an outside chance to stick at left tackle, but he might actually fit better on the right side or kicking in to a guard spot.

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY
Skoronski is a great all-around offensive lineman with the potential to become a very good starter in the NFL. He has an impressive three years of college experience, having started for Northwestern since his freshman year.

He's an experienced, technician, whose feet balance and hand usage are all already elite, giving him an edge over other players in this draft class. He has the perfect combination of athleticism and skill and has demonstrated he's the pass blocker in the draft class. He, however, doesn't have the ideal size for a pro left tackle and his limited arm length may put pro teams off and see him as more of a guard prospect.

Skoronski is still the most NFL-ready offensive lineman in this draft class, and for that reason he'll likely be the first offensive lineman selected in the 2023 NFL Draft

What has changed dramatically is months of Skoronski being referred to as potential OT1 to "This guy can only be a guard".

Even the scouting report you posted says "may put pro teams off" which suggests the possibility of him moving inside.  However, every outlet I've listened to speaking about him over the past several weeks dismisses the notion of him even being worthy of a look at OT.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

What has changed dramatically is months of Skoronski being referred to as potential OT1 to "This guy can only be a guard".

Even the scouting report you posted says "may put pro teams off" which suggests the possibility of him moving inside.  However, every outlet I've listened to speaking about him over the past several weeks dismisses the notion of him even being worthy of a look at OT.

Again, not a change. The “short arms may be a guard” was there the very first time I read about him many months ago.  If that makes some folks not want him, such is life. I still like him as my #1 guy if we go Oline, and if he drops to us.  There are other good prospects too.

Now, with us, with Rodgers, I’m just not sure we go Oline. Hard to read this year, not sure at all what I think JD will do.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Larz said:

I love him. He’s another AVT. Very versatile. 2 guys that can play all over the line is pretty sweet. Very low chance he’ll be there at 13. 

I think there is a decent chance he's there at 13 considering the underestimation at how many teams will take QB in top 12 and that Skoronski is vastly considered to be a future top 5 guard in the NFL who can also play tackle when needed.  In fact, some sites have him ranked as a guard and not a tackle.  He's a better AVT.  I'd take him at 13 if no trade down.  

From the same evaluation at NFL Draft Buzz:

(the low ones are wingspan, length, hand, size stuff.  The outstanding ones are athleticism. It won't stick here.  link https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Peter-Skoronski-OL-Northwestern

download.png

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Again, not a change. The “short arms may be a guard” was there the very first time I read about him many months ago.  If that makes some folks not want him, such is life. I still like him as my #1 guy if we go Oline, and if he drops to us.  There are other good prospects too.

Now, with us, with Rodgers, I’m just not sure we go Oline. Hard to read this year, not sure at all what I think JD will do.

"May be" and "is definitely"  are different.

In isolation I think he would be well worth the 13th pick, as a player / draft value etc.

In context I'm not sure he is the best pick for us at 13, given his position vs. our needs. OL is very murky ... if he looks to play as a G, do you sit Tomlinson, or did you just draft a backup / Year 2 starter in Round 1? Or are we projecting AVT / Skoronski to play OT, and if so what happens to Becton / Brown / Mitchell etc.

Rest of context - who else is on the board at the time (e.g. JSN would be worth a good long look).

• Sympathy 1

I understand some of you are comparing Skoronski to Slater and that makes sense given they both went to the same school and had short arms. Slater has been really good, but he’s stronger than Skoronski. Skoronski’s tape IMO has too many instances where the DL lands his hands first and walks Skoronski into the QB. That’s going to be even worse in the NFL.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

I like him, and I like him a fair bit to be fair.

But there are always guys in every draft, who just before the draft get so much smoke blown up their asses and bounce up about 20 spots. I am same as the others here... If he's going to be available at 20, and we can trade back, I take him. I think he's got stud potential, but not sure he'd be my number one choice. 

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I understand some of you are comparing Skoronski to Slater and that makes sense given they both went to the same school and had short arms. Slater has been really good, but he’s stronger than Skoronski. Skoronski’s tape IMO has too many instances where the DL lands his hands first and walks Skoronski into the QB. That’s going to be even worse in the NFL.

It's clear as day that both playing strength and lack of length is going to be his biggest limiting factor. One would hope that strength gets better in an NFL training regimen, but the way it looks I think it's always going to be a weakness for him. It's hard to play OL when you can't anchor like you need to and requires that he out-leverages his opponent every time to be successful. I see the argument of playing him inside because of the arm-length issue, but I think his ceiling is solid pro, but not top 5 guard like is mentioned above. He plays smart and plays with good technique, hence he's a 1st round worthy pick in this year's class, and I'd be okay with it because he's probably already better than Max Mitchell day one and is probably going to be better than Tomlinson is in the long-run.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, k-met57 said:

i am torn about it. on one hand you want good players, but on the other hand if he ends up inside, having 2 first round guards (whom you prob have to pay a second contract) doesn't seem like a viable strategy.

Except that both (AVT and Skoronski) have proven they can play (and have success) at OT. As others have said, position flexibility is huge with these 2.

I 100% take him.   He's a versatile lineman who can provide depth at tackle and guard this year, and become a full time starter at one of those positions next year.

Let's face it, there is 0% chance the Jets won't need an extra tackle or guard for a significant percentage of the season, so he will play this season, and it allows the staff to play their "Best 5"

• Sympathy 1