Call it a hypothetical, call it a conspiracy theory...but just a thought about possible handshake deal with Jets and Rodgers

AFJF

2 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

why did they need a handshake?   If the jets are ok with waiting until training camp GB has literally no options other than pay AR the $58m. 

Because if another team came calling that Rodgers found appealing, it would give the Packers another option.

You want to avoid that.

The jets are the only team with Hackett on the staff. That’s why Rodgers wants to come here. Woody wants Rodgers and nobody else. Rodgers stated publicly he intends to play here. 

What team is going to seriously pursue Rodgers with his contract and GBs (reported) expectations for compensation?  

this is an old fashioned stand off. There is no mystery, just a disagreement. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That would be in violation of several NFL rules I believe, and result in the forfeiture of several Jets Draft picks if true and proven out.

Just say'in.

So teams never break the rules if it can be beneficial?

No deal done but AR texting free agents asking them to join him with the Jets.  A team he is not on.

Just sayin'

• Upvote 1

Just now, AFJF said:

So teams never break the rules if it can be beneficial?

Did I say that?

Just now, AFJF said:

No deal done but AR texting free agents asking them to join him with the Jets.  A team he is not on.

Just sayin'

Aaron Rodgers, as a player, is not under the same restrictions as a team/GM in terms of the rules.

Just to be clear.  By "handshake deal" I meant it would he kept between Rodgers and the Jets.  Not saying it would be made public knowledge once the deal is completed. 

Sorry for the confusion.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Did I say that?

Aaron Rodgers, as a player, is not under the same restrictions as a team/GM in terms of the rules.

Did I say that?  

I'm sure it's common practice for players to recruit free agents to teams they dint play for while referring to them as "us".

• More Ugh 1

15 minutes ago, Larz said:

The jets are the only team with Hackett on the staff. That’s why Rodgers wants to come here. Woody wants Rodgers and nobody else. Rodgers stated publicly he intends to play here. 

What team is going to seriously pursue Rodgers with his contract and GBs (reported) expectations for compensation?  

this is an old fashioned stand off. There is no mystery, just a disagreement. 

Him and Hackett likely pinky swore in a completely dark room so nobody seen nuttin! 

• Haha 4

The jets, Douglas and Woody have all 100% promised Rodgers he will be a Jet, no question about it.

No way does Aaron Rodgers go on tv and say I am going to be a Jet and no way does Douglas spout off and say he will be here otherwise.

This is why the jets have no other option and are not looking into other options, despite people hoping to drum up 'leverage'.

We will end up with Rodgers in the end but the Jets (and Rodgers) botched this situation up badly.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

why did they need a handshake?   If the jets are ok with waiting until training camp GB has literally no options other than pay AR the $58m. 

Bingo.  And they know this.  And they know they Jets know they know this.  And they want their daft pick NOW.  This is why the deal will be done no later than round two of the 2023 NFL draft.  That will be next Friday night.  Rodgers will officially be a Jet by midnight on April 28th.  GB wont pass up on that extra draft pick.  They are going to finalize the details on the Jets escape clause if Rodgers does not play in 2024 if they are not already done and just waiting for the OK to sign.  

If the Rodgers deal is not done by the end of the evening on Friday the 28th, I would be shocked. 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So the Jets had a deal in writing to draft and then start Zach Wilson specifically to please JetBlue?

Wowz!! 

;) 

The Jets do in fact have a deal with Jet Blue in writing 

And have such for a while 

It's a major sponsor. 

The drafting of the nephew of the founder is called keeping your sponsors happy 

It's not a conspiracy theory it's actual life 

Put it another way if Justin fields was the nephew of the founder of met life maybe he'd be the pick 

It's free money and the Jets don't get paid more for winning. They get paid by the attempt 

• WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets do in fact have a deal with Jet Blue in writing 

And have such for a while 

It's a major sponsor. 

The drafting of the nephew of the founder is called keeping your sponsors happy 

It's not a conspiracy theory it's actual life 

Put it another way if Justin fields was the nephew of the founder of met life maybe he'd be the pick 

It's free money and the Jets don't get paid more for winning. They get paid by the attempt 

Quote: "...a deal in writing to draft and then start Zach Wilson specifically to please JetBlue?"

They have that?

The deal in writing with JetBlue was when Zach Wilson was 12 years old, about 4 years after JetBlue fired his uncle. 

• Sympathy 1