Joe Douglas fate if we don’t get Aaron Rodgers

We should know a lot more, a week from now, whether this Aaron Rodgers deal is going to happen or not. I believe it is agreed upon in principle, subject to available players at our spot in round 1 and 2, but assuming the Rodgers deal doesn’t happen, what is the fate of Joe Douglas?

As stated in my previous post, I feel like he is a good GM. But we are in the most crucial point of his tenure. He has done a lot of good and a lot of bad. We can look at John Lynch and Ozzie Newsome as GMs who never really drafted a superstar QB and have been successful. (I don’t consider Flacco a superstar) Both the 49ers and Ravens have done well with a stellar defense. We have a defense that’s becoming very good. But we still have a ways to go, before becoming Ravens/49ers good. The Ravens won a superbowl because of their defense, not Joe Flacco. 

So can we compare JD with Ozzie or Lynch, no. Not yet. Lynch hasn’t won anything but got the team to a Super Bowl with Jimmy G and a good defense. Ozzie might be the GOAT GM of our generation, but the players do have to play and Harbaugh is a HOF head coach. There is a parallel to Joe D’s GM decisions and John Lynch and while JD hasn’t had a winning season, what the team looks like now, mirrors the 49ers teams of the last 6-7 years and that seems like a pretty good formula. 

But, the Aaron Rodgers obsession is not something the 49ers would do. Neither would the Ravens. JDs record shows he is not a GM that would obsess with making a move like this. While obviously we know the history of Woody Johnson and he would obsess with making a move like this. So did JD have the wheel while building us to where we are, only to have Woody take over and tell him he had to get Rodgers? I believe it is very possible. But it’s also possible that JD felt like his job was in jeopardy and needed to make a huge splash at QB, after the Zach Wilson disaster. 

Either way, as mentioned, I think JD is a good GM and he deserves to finish what he started. We look like a good young team. But does that save his job, if he doesn’t get Rodgers and we fail to make the playoffs this season? No. I believe he is finished. Because I believe Woody Johnson desperately wants Rodgers and JD has to realize the enormity of the situation, if he fails to do so. If it gets done, hoping not for a 1st round pick, and JD has bought a couple more years at least. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 3

It all depends on how much Woody had to do with the whole thing. 

He is a good enough GM overall that he should be safe same with the coach and these guys are good enough that we need to stay the course.

But he and Saleh have both made some poor moves to go with their good stuff. 

I'm a broken record saying the Jets have botched this QB thing badly but they will get it done.

Just now, TommyT said:

Well written as always, but to think Rodgers will not be a Jet is shortsighted. Deal is done, just waiting on the draft scenarios.

I thought I said I believe the deal is already done and gets finished on draft day. Was just adding some what ifs.  But I hear you. 

Just now, JETS SB said:

I thought I said I believe the deal is already done and gets finished on draft day. Was just adding some what ifs.  But I hear you. 

I understand, but this has been exhausting and we both know the deal is done.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It all depends on how much Woody had to do with the whole thing. 

He is a good enough GM overall that he should be safe same with the coach and these guys are good enough that we need to stay the course.

But he and Saleh have both made some poor moves to go with their good stuff. 

I'm a broken record saying the Jets have botched this QB thing badly but they will get it done.

I would only agree that we botched it, if it doesn’t get done. I believe this entire delay was agreed upon by both sides. I hope I am right. 

1 minute ago, Sammybighead said:

He gets an extension regardless

I believe he gets an extension but not regardless. If this entire thing was JD leading the way, and we suffer another losing season without Rodgers, I am not so sure. Knowing Woody, it was Woody leading the way in this Rodgers pursuit. And I am all for it. I think Rodgers will be a rejuvenated star here. 

16 minutes ago, TommyT said:

Well written as always, but to think Rodgers will not be a Jet is a possibility is shortsighted. Deal is done, just waiting on the draft scenarios.

The deal is most definitely not done and this will drag to camp. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Why hasn’t anyone told me it’s done?

This is like my life at home… I’m always the last to know what’s going on in my own house! ?

Just reading the tea leaves, just my opinion. Means nothing, I know.

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

Why hasn’t anyone told me it’s done?

This is like my life at home… I’m always the last to know what’s going on in my own house! ?

I got the text. Maybe it’s time to upgrade the blackberry. 

• Haha 1

I wouldn't even consider firing Douglas/ Saleh until 2025

Silly organizations keep the coach carousel, the coordinators carousel going into infinity. 

"Let's draft a QB and then change the oc in year two". It's ridiculous 

You mess up the development of your players and the ability to gain massive advantage through continuity and stability in the organization. Which also fosters a healthy work environment and culture 

I think Herbert for example is on his 3rd offensive coordinator. As good as he is that hurts more than ppl realize. It limits you 

• Post of the Week 1

We should know a lot more, a week from now, whether this Aaron Rodgers deal is going to happen or not. I believe it is agreed upon in principle, subject to available players at our spot in round 1 and 2, but assuming the Rodgers deal doesn’t happen, what is the fate of Joe Douglas?
As stated in my previous post, I feel like he is a good GM. But we are in the most crucial point of his tenure. He has done a lot of good and a lot of bad. We can look at John Lynch and Ozzie Newsome as GMs who never really drafted a superstar QB and have been successful. (I don’t consider Flacco a superstar) Both the 49ers and Ravens have done well with a stellar defense. We have a defense that’s becoming very good. But we still have a ways to go, before becoming Ravens/49ers good. The Ravens won a superbowl because of their defense, not Joe Flacco. 

So can we compare JD with Ozzie or Lynch, no. Not yet. Lynch hasn’t won anything but got the team to a Super Bowl with Jimmy G and a good defense. Ozzie might be the GOAT GM of our generation, but the players do have to play and Harbaugh is a HOF head coach. There is a parallel to Joe D’s GM decisions and John Lynch and while JD hasn’t had a winning season, what the team looks like now, mirrors the 49ers teams of the last 6-7 years and that seems like a pretty good formula. 

But, the Aaron Rodgers obsession is not something the 49ers would do. Neither would the Ravens. JDs record shows he is not a GM that would obsess with making a move like this. While obviously we know the history of Woody Johnson and he would obsess with making a move like this. So did JD have the wheel while building us to where we are, only to have Woody take over and tell him he had to get Rodgers? I believe it is very possible. But it’s also possible that JD felt like his job was in jeopardy and needed to make a huge splash at QB, after the Zach Wilson disaster. 

Either way, as mentioned, I think JD is a good GM and he deserves to finish what he started. We look like a good young team. But does that save his job, if he doesn’t get Rodgers and we fail to make the playoffs this season? No. I believe he is finished. Because I believe Woody Johnson desperately wants Rodgers and JD has to realize the enormity of the situation, if he fails to do so. If it gets done, hoping not for a 1st round pick, and JD has bought a couple more years at least. 
Legend

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

He gets an extension regardless

Absolutely. Even with no rodgers and no playoffs, hes getting extended.

Hes built a good team. He took a swing and a miss with zach…it failed. It happens

If zach was just average wed have made the playoffs. Zach is the black cloud. Everything else is solid

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

As long as his picks keep doing well, he should be safe.

If Woody is upset over missing out on one year of Rodgers after forcing the team to take a pass on 4+ years of Carr, he'll only have himself to blame.

That’s it in a nutshell. This blows up  it’s all    on the lucky sperm douchebag owner.

• Upvote 2

i cant believe this was JD. him and Saleh said they wanted a sustained winner for years and years and then they decided to go for a one year rental. no way.

DRAFT:

JD values draft picks and he chose the only QB available that will cost us some. and make no mistake it will cost at least a 1 and a 2. picks we desperately need to continue to build this roster.

PLAYOFFS:

we have a playoff mandate. we won 7 games with the worst QBs in the NFL. there were 3 QBs available for just money who are 10 times better than what we had last year. they could have easily won us and extra 3-4 games and got in the playoffs and challenge for the division. we did not need Rodgers for the playoffs.

MONEY:

JD has stayed away from big money contracts and now he takes on 100 mil for 2 years ? for maybe a one year rental? 

CAP:

im not sure how this works but somehow this will hurt us. most likely the 2 dummy years after hes gone.

CONTRACT:

this is a "thank you for all the years " contract. this contract is a thank you for 15 or so years of HOF play. they had to know this was going to hurt them for a few years but again, they had much success with Rodgers they didnt care. they must be laughing their asses off that were taking this contract.

none of this is Joe Douglass MO. this was all Woody.

Joe and Saleh should not be fired for this but probably will. without Rodgers and no other options were not making the playoffs. does Woody let JD/Saleh pick the new QB? then he has to give them a few more years. Woody probably fires them both and lets a new GM/HC pick them.

and even if we get Rodgers were screwed. when he leaves we have no QB and should be picking in the mid to late 20s. most likely have to trade GW to move up to get a QB. and with Rodgers cap hit signing a FA will be out of the question. 

im sure JD thought about all of this. can't believe this is on him. but he will get another GM job cause owners like nothing better than GMs who do what they say even if it kills their franchise.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JETS SB said:

The Ravens won a superbowl because of their defense, not Joe Flacco.

I agree with your overall point but in regards to this, the Ravens still needed Flacco to have an incredible postseason run that year to get the ring, with also a better defense.

To your question though, if the deal doesn't happen JD will very likely be on borrowed time for the rest of this year.  He'd need to hit an absolute home-run in this draft, and then still manage to pull some miracle out to at least not get laughingstock-level QB play, if he wanted to keep his job.

Without Rodgers, the Jets continue to struggle on the field. Their season is marked by ups and downs, with no consistent winning streaks to speak of. As the losses mount, critics target Douglas for failing to trade for Rodgers, and his job security begins to falter.

Douglas, ever the optimist, works tirelessly to find other ways to improve the team. He scouts for hidden talent in college football, invests in coaching staff, and strategizes for the draft. His unwavering dedication to turning the team around earns him respect from the players and some of the fan base, but the critics remain skeptical.

As the years pass, the Jets start to show signs of improvement. They make smart draft picks, develop young talent, and create a culture of unity and hard work. Slowly but surely, the team begins to climb the ranks in the NFL. The critics, once so vocal against Douglas, now take note of the positive changes he has made within the organization.

In this universe, the fate of Joe Douglas is one of perseverance and redemption. He does not have the immediate success of landing a legendary quarterback, but he proves his worth through strategic moves and unwavering commitment to the New York Jets. While his journey may be more challenging, it is also one filled with the satisfaction of success earned through grit and determination.

• Upvote 1