The Athletic: 25 day 2/3 targets for NY Jets

Dcat

Hits a few of the guys I've liked this cycle:

The top Centers, Schmitz and Tippmann of course, DT Mazi Smith, LB Jack Campbell and OT Dewand Jones have all been in various of my own mocks of guys that I'd like/fit our needs/would be good picks. 

Wypler, a bit less of a C prospect, but who is a Jets Fan apparently, would make an ok-to-good consolation prize if we skip on Center in the 2nd.  Not nearly as sold on the guys at Center after that.  And having TE's listed seems silly, we're not in need at TE from the draft.

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

Mazi Smith would be sooooo good on the DL.  That's the type of freak that could take them to the next level. 

Not sure I share your view on this one.  Saw quite a few games this past year and really was not impressed.

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, JiF said:

Mazi Smith would be sooooo good on the DL.  That's the type of freak that could take them to the next level. 

Through Michigan’s strength staff, Feldman found out that: Smith has benched 22 reps of 325 pounds (not the typical 225), close-grip benched 550 pounds, posts a 44-inch vertical jump, and broad-jumped 9 feet, 4 1/2 inches. And that’s just his power and agility.

As for speed, well, Smith has that, too. The Grand Rapids, Mich., native has clocked a shuttle time of 4.41 seconds, which Feldman notes would’ve tied any defensive tackle at the NFL Scouting Combine this year; a 3-cone drill time of 6.95 seconds, which would have been the fastest; and a 60-yard shuttle of 11.90 seconds.

Perhaps even more impressive, however, is Smith’s performance in some of the drills Herbert and his staff ask the players to take part in. In one specific drill, players attempt to jump up a series of seven 26-inch high stairs as fast as they can. The program record is apparently 2.21 seconds, and Smith did it in 2.82 seconds. (For comparison, Aidan Hutchinson, who was No. 2 on Feldman’s ‘freaks’ list last year and is 60 pounds lighter than Smith, did it in 2.57 seconds.)

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

Not sure I share your view on this one.  Saw quite a few games this past year and really was not impressed.

Care to elaborate?  What games, what didnt he do, what were you expecting? 

In general, he's not playing a role where he's going to flash and have gaudy stats.  He's a clog.  A game wrecker.   A must double and a big time disrupter.  He anchored the #7 D in the country.  You put him next to Q. Will and this is a ridiculously hard front 7 to block.  I wouldnt be surprised if he went in the first and if he didnt have those weapons chargers, I assume he would.  Very hard to find men his size, w/ that athletic profile, he's got the Ngata/Poe/Jones type of size, power and agility.  Not saying he's those dudes at the next level but that's the profile.

6 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Through Michigan’s strength staff, Feldman found out that: Smith has benched 22 reps of 325 pounds (not the typical 225), close-grip benched 550 pounds, posts a 44-inch vertical jump, and broad-jumped 9 feet, 4 1/2 inches. And that’s just his power and agility.

As for speed, well, Smith has that, too. The Grand Rapids, Mich., native has clocked a shuttle time of 4.41 seconds, which Feldman notes would’ve tied any defensive tackle at the NFL Scouting Combine this year; a 3-cone drill time of 6.95 seconds, which would have been the fastest; and a 60-yard shuttle of 11.90 seconds.

Perhaps even more impressive, however, is Smith’s performance in some of the drills Herbert and his staff ask the players to take part in. In one specific drill, players attempt to jump up a series of seven 26-inch high stairs as fast as they can. The program record is apparently 2.21 seconds, and Smith did it in 2.82 seconds. (For comparison, Aidan Hutchinson, who was No. 2 on Feldman’s ‘freaks’ list last year and is 60 pounds lighter than Smith, did it in 2.57 seconds.)

Just now, JiF said:

In general, he's not playing a role where he's going to flash and have gaudy stats.  He's a clog.  A game wrecker.   A must double and a big time disrupter.  He anchored the #7 D in the country.  You put him next to Q. Will and this is a ridiculously hard front 7 to block.  I wouldnt be surprised if he went in the first and if he didnt have those weapons chargers, I assume he would.  Very hard to find men his size, w/ that athletic profile, he's got the Ngata/Poe/Jones type of size, power and agility.  Not saying he's those dudes at the next level but that's the profile.

He's the exact profile that gets to the NFL and goes bonkers....playing in this system too?  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Hey @Dcatwho cares about 6th and 7th Rd picks when jd is just going to piss them away

Right? Isn't that your defense of the Joe Flacco trade 

never defended the Flacco trade. Ever. You now resort to outright lies on the board. You should be banned. I hated the flacco acquisition from the moment it was announced.   You've lost your fking mind. 

• Upvote 1

I fail to see how Mazi Smith would flourish in a one gap penetrating defense. Therefore we shouldn't place much value better yet a 2nd round pick on him. We had a good DT in Foley Fatukasi who was great against the run taking on blockers but once Saleh had him here shooting the gap, he transgressed to a JAG performance wise. Meanwhile at that time he was sort of our Bryce Huff, transcending into a late round stud.

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Agreed. More so than the Pitt player

Kancey at the very least fit our scheme therefore the chances of him prospering are high. 

[/quote

The only home game I missed was the Purdue game if I am not mistaken. Also saw the Ohio St game.

My take is he’s good against the run unless he is doubled or against a good offensive guy who gets leverage under him.

He really suffers in the passing game but has moments where he gets off the snap real well. As you said the U of M had a very good D. I think that had a lot to do with him having some good production.

I see the Jets taking Tipperman at 42 and Campbell at 43 if the make both choices. Otherwise, they go OL/OC. They are going WR at 13 in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

28 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:
5 hours ago, JiF said:
[/quote

The only home game I missed was the Purdue game if I am not mistaken. Also saw the Ohio St game.

My take is he’s good against the run unless he is doubled or against a good offensive guy who gets leverage under him.

He really suffers in the passing game but has moments where he gets off the snap real well. As you said the U of M had a very good D. I think that had a lot to do with him having some good production.

I see the Jets taking Tipperman at 42 and Campbell at 43 if the make both choices. Otherwise, they go OL/OC. They are going WR at 13 in my mind.

Fair but you're not taking him to get to the QB.  That's not what he does.  So if you were looking for that, you wouldnt find it.  Similar to Jordan Davis last year for the Bulldogs, he's just a game wrecker and opens up the game for everyone else because he's such a massive freak, you cant put one blocker him on him.  And IMO the value for that type of player is perfect in the 40's.  Obviously you'd want a little more pass rush profile to take him sooner.

13 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Thanks!   I haven’t been able to get into this years draft.  Last year their were players who you wanted to see so bad and JD drafted them all.  

This year the YouTube highlights I’ve watched look good but feel more “meh” 

We could have used you in the mock.....  

Fair but you're not taking him to get to the QB.  That's not what he does.  So if you were looking for that, you wouldnt find it.  Similar to Jordan Davis last year for the Bulldogs, he's just a game wrecker and opens up the game for everyone else because he's such a massive freak, you cant put one blocker him on him.  And IMO the value for that type of player is perfect in the 40's.  Obviously you'd want a little more pass rush profile to take him sooner.

I understand your point. I just see a Center or LB having more value on Day 2

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I fail to see how Mazi Smith would flourish in a one gap penetrating defense. Therefore we shouldn't place much value better yet a 2nd round pick on him. We had a good DT in Foley Fatukasi who was great against the run taking on blockers but once Saleh had him here shooting the gap, he transgressed to a JAG performance wise. Meanwhile at that time he was sort of our Bryce Huff, transcending into a late round stud.

Kancey at the very least fit our scheme therefore the chances of him prospering are high. 

IMHO, Foley is not on the same planet as Mazi as an athlete and the latter did a lot of attacking on film. Plus, Douglas has always been a big fan of drafting prospects with elite testing numbers. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, maury77 said:

IMHO, Foley is not on the same planet as Mazi as an athlete and the latter did a lot of attacking on film. Plus, Douglas has always been a big fan of drafting prospects with elite testing numbers. 

A guy along those lines is Zach Pickens, DT from So.Carolina. @King P took him 3 picks ahead of my Falcons in the 4th in our mock foot the Raiders. Still hurts.?? Think he will go higher than that this week.

• Upvote 1