Which Team Will Steal Skoronski Out From Under The Jets ???

I've Settled on Skoronski as the pick I'd most want for the Jets @ #13 and I am also now describing him as the best offensive football player in the daft.

I HOPE he falls to us, but I don't believe he will...

So... Who will swoop in just before the Jets pick and snatch him up ???

I'd say... DA BEARS.

Then wee get Paris Johnson.  Not a bad addition, but I still hope the other teams take a pass on Skoronski because he does not have arms like an octopus.

As matte of fact... I've been hearing Skoronski's actual high is only 5' 10" and his arm length is 20"... SHHHHH... Don't tell anyone.

I see it going like this:

1. Bryce Young to Panthers or who ever.  

2.  Stroud to Houston (and no, I don't buy it that Levis will go up here.  

3.  Will Anderson to who ever.  Could be a trade, but I see Anderson as the third guy off the board after the two QB's

4. Anthony Richardson to Colts

5. Tyree Wilson to Seahawks (this is a lock as far as I see it)

6. Christian Gonzales to Lions (another lock)

7. Raiders... I don't know... They could take an OT here and make a mess of my draft predictions, but I think it will be DT Jalen Carter

8.  Falcons.  Probably CB Witherspoon.  It won't be an OT or DT.

9. Bears.  Skoronski. (I HOPE NOT) but that is how I see it

10. Iggles.  It will be DE or LB Edge guy based on needs.  Probably Nolan Smith

11. Bucks..  Here is where QB Levis will go.

12. Texans... I see a lock with DE Van Ness

13. Jets... I WANT Skoronski, but I think the Bears will snatch him.  Jets will take Paris Johnson, but if Raiders go OT and take Paris Johnson, the Jets will take Broderick Jones.

Yeah... I know that there is a separate area for the draft.  Go call Matlock and file papers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Jets Things said:

We don't need a guard, so whatever. Dude's arms are too short for OT. 

He isn't a guard.  He's an OT.  Plays the position a lot like Matt Light.  He gonna be a Pro Bowl OT and a core player for many years.  

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Why does it seem to be the absolute consensus that he will go first if he can only play guard?  I'm inclined to think he is the exception that proves the rule.

Agree fully.  He's not a guard.  He's an OT.  Dont buy into the arm length BS.  He's built and plays like Matt Light.  Intangibles are also excellent.  He's a complete football player.  A core franchise guy.  A Mangini pick 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I've Settled on Skoronski as the pick I'd most want for the Jets @ #13 and I am also now describing him as the best offensive football player in the daft.

I'd say... DA BEARS.

Then wee get Paris Johnson.  Not a bad addition, but I still hope the other teams take a pass on Skoronski because he does not have arms like an octopus.

As matte of fact... I've been hearing Skoronski's actual high is only 5' 10" and his arm length is 20"... SHHHHH... Don't tell anyone.

3.  Will Anderson to who ever.  Could be a trade, but I see Anderson as the third guy off the board after the two QB's

7. Raiders... I don't know... They could take an OT here and make a mess of my draft predictions, but I think it will be DT Jalen Carter

13. Jets... I WANT Skoronski, but I think the Bears will snatch him.  Jets will take Paris Johnson, but if Raiders go OT and take Paris Johnson, the Jets will take Broderick Jones.

Yeah... I know that there is a separate area for the draft.  Go call Matlock and file papers. 

I also would gladly take Skoronski but just don't see him playing LT. That said, if he's a rock solid RT for us, that's also really important and would allow us to focus assets to support LT (between Becton, Brown and Mitchell). Not to mention Skoronski can play any position on the oline provides great versatility in case of injury.

• Upvote 2

Nobody will 'steal' Skoronski. He is the top rated O-lineman and we are selecting 13th. The top o-lineman is almost always gone by then. I wouldn't call that 'stealing'. If we are lucky enough to have Skoronski start sliding to us and a team moves ups just ahead of us, gving up draft capital. Sure, I guess you can call that 'stealing'. But you can never predict trades. And it would be 100% on Douglas for sitting there on his hands waiting while the top O-lineman was sliding all the way to the 13th pick, rather than moving up a few spots and grabbing him. 

That is...if the Jets really wanted Skoronski. 

And while I personally think he would be the best selection for the Jets if he was available, I'm not so sure the Jets agree with me. Seems like they really like Broderick Jones. And JD seems to be the type of guy to take a chance on a high-upside prospect (even if a bit raw) like him. Becton anyone?    

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I also would gladly take Skoronski but just don't see him playing LT. That said, if he's a rock solid RT for us, that's also really important and would allow us to focus assets to support LT (between Becton, Brown and Mitchell). Not to mention Skoronski can play any position on the oline provides great versatility in case of injury.

Agree on every point but LT.  He can play there for sure.  

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

he can play any spot on the line.  that makes him even more valuable.   though, i still believe he can be a top ten LT and a top five RT.  

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the player. I just don't see him as a tackle. Long term solution to Tomlinson, great. 

10 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Remember that last first round player they had that was involved in a high speed crash resulting in death?

Makes me think they’ll make a “mess of your draft predictions”.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Was listening to Tony Pauline who thinks there's a real scenario jones and johnson are gone early and the Jets would have to decide whether to take skoronski (Tony feels he's not a LT) or a guy like Breesee.

Let me make this easy for JD. Take skoronski and don't look back. What's the worst case? You have 2 all pro guards and can dump an overpaid laken? Or he can be a solid RT? Does anyone have any confidence in these dlineman past the first couple guys?

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Was listening to Tony Pauline who thinks there's a real scenario jones and johnson are gone early and the Jets would have to decide whether to take skoronski (Tony feels he's not a LT) or a guy like Breesee.

Let me make this easy for JD. Take skoronski and don't look back. What's the worst case? You have 2 all pro guards and can dump an overpaid laken? Or he can be a solid RT? Does anyone have any confidence in these dlineman past the first couple guys?

They just restructured Tomlinson last month by paying him $8MM up front for this season. Dumping Tomlinson will not happen this year. He's 100% on the 2023 Jets and starting.

Barring injury to Tomlinson or AVT, any OL pick at #13 would mean either the rookie or AVT plays tackle this year, with the other playing RG.

The problem with moving AVT out to tackle isn't that he didn't look like he couldn't handle it; rather, the problem is that'd mean a college tackle will be moving to guard for the first time. OK that's done all the time, but not with the team surely looking hard at centers in round 2. If they are even thinking of a rookie at guard, it takes center off the table until round 4 where it's more acceptable for a rookie to sit, and then they sign Jones off the street to play center this year. They're not going to start a rookie center next to a rookie converted guard.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They just restructured Tomlinson last month by paying him $8MM up front for this season. Dumping Tomlinson will not happen this year. He's 100% on the 2023 Jets and starting.

Barring injury to Tomlinson or AVT, any OL pick at #13 would mean either the rookie or AVT plays tackle this year, with the other playing RG.

The problem with moving AVT out to tackle isn't that he didn't look like he couldn't handle it; rather, the problem is that'd mean a college tackle will be moving to guard for the first time. OK that's done all the time, but not with the team surely looking hard at centers in round 2. If they are even thinking of a rookie at guard, it takes center off the table until round 4 where it's more acceptable for a rookie to sit, and then they sign Jones off the street to play center this year. They're not going to start a rookie center next to a rookie converted guard.

Disagree on a few points. They can move on from laken next year and having a probowl caliber replacement would be ideal. Skoronski can also immediately compete with max mitchell at RT. At worst, he's a high quality backup to an oft injured oline.

Leaving the 1st 2 rounds with your starting RT and starting center wouldn't be an issue for me at all. And not for nothing, we started nick and brick in their rookie years. And before you say they were special players, we did not know that at the time. In fact, brick was looking like a bust his rookie year. 

If your OL was Becton, laken, rookie, avt, rookie (left to right), I don't see an issue with that, especially with a qb like AR who's smarts and pocket movement make OL look even better.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

It will mirror the treachery that occurred in the jet nation mock draft.

Pats will trade from 14 to 12 with Houston and leap frog the jets and steal the top rated olineman.

Nah - the Pats will just wait for the Jets to pick the wrong offensive lineman and then the Pats scoop up the much better lineman. 

14 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I'd say... DA BEARS.

I don’t think Texans are taken a Qb at 2 .   I think they are going defense with their first pick if B Young went number 1.      Will throw your whole board off.    If the board went off like you have it .   I would say the Raiders would try to trade back , but if they stay the pick would be Cb Witherspoon .    I don’t think they can draft Jalen Carter ( even though he exactly what the  defense needs) under any circumstances due to what happened with Henry Ruggs .   The Public relations nightmare would be too great.  

• Upvote 1

I don’t think Texans are taken a Qb at 2 .   I think they are going defense with their first pick if B Young went number 1.      Will throw your whole board off.    If the board went off like you have it .   I would say the Raiders would try to trade back , but if they stay the pick would be Cb Witherspoon .    I don’t think they can draft Jalen Carter ( even though he exactly what the  defense needs) under any circumstances due to what happened with Henry Ruggs .   The Public relations nightmare would be too great.  
Would Raiders take Skoronski at 7? I saw some early mocks where that happened, but not sure if FA moves might have made it less likely.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Would Raiders take Skoronski at 7? I saw some early mocks where that happened, but not sure if FA moves might have made it less likely.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

There always a possibility with Raiders missing on so many first round picks you take the closest thing to sure thing- Skoronski .    Still very doubtful .  Raiders need defense help bad, and outside of Cj Stroud falling into their  lap most likely going defense  with that first pick. Probably will be Cb, Dt , or De . 

• Sympathy 1

Before commenting I just wanted to add a warm JN welcome to Skoronski’s father or agent.  It is a very well thought out post.   Regarding the player, I have never seen a single snap so am going only by what other’s say which seems very positive.   I will gladly take him at 13 if only because NW seems to groom their draftable players for success in the NFL.   If he’s as good as others say I’d guess the Bears at 9 as a hometown type of deal.   I’m ok with the best available OL or WR as long as it’s offense to be consistent with the all in mentality we must have if we are bringing in AR.   Can’t wait for Thursday/Fri.   Counting on big days for our team!

6 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Disagree on a few points. They can move on from laken next year and having a probowl caliber replacement would be ideal. Skoronski can also immediately compete with max mitchell at RT. At worst, he's a high quality backup to an oft injured oline.

Leaving the 1st 2 rounds with your starting RT and starting center wouldn't be an issue for me at all. And not for nothing, we started nick and brick in their rookie years. And before you say they were special players, we did not know that at the time. In fact, brick was looking like a bust his rookie year. 

If your OL was Becton, laken, rookie, avt, rookie (left to right), I don't see an issue with that, especially with a qb like AR who's smarts and pocket movement make OL look even better.

Well then we disagree on some major things, which is fine:

I never said Tomlinson wasn't move-on-able in 2024, but they're in 2023, and this is the all-in year with Rodgers's return for 2024 unknown. Nobody drafts an OL #13 in the country and doesn't start him right away unless he's a bust. 

Mangold was good right away, but while I wouldn't go so far as "bust" with him, as you mention Brick was between just meh as a rookie, was it was then concerning that he couldn't maintain 300+ lbs (or even 290 for that matter), making him one-dimensional like Fant. He wasn't a serious asset at LT until his 3rd season, so it's not convincing (to me) to say this is just what this all-in team needs on the OL.  Higher-ranked prospects than this year's were friggin' awful as rookies, too -- far worse rookies than Ferguson, and anyway this kid is not the ultra-elite tackle prospect Ferguson was in '06 in the first place. Physically, Brick was a couple inches taller & had a prototypical wingspan for a tackle. In terms of pass blocking he was a nearly flawless prospect. No one questioned whether he had the reach to play tackle at a high level past college; he could put his arms around a car ffs.

Point is you're betting on going 2 for 2 not just long term but specifically for instant results, which can work out sure but rationally isn't a good bet (let alone in a decidedly imperfect system as drafting college players). The Giants' last two tackles drafted - each a more elite tackle prospect and each went higher than he's going to go - and both sucked as rookies. Sucked as in harmed their team. They weren't merely meh like Brick; they were awful. Now you don't generally draft a player like it's a 1 year FA move, and the first one has already turned it around, but this is the all-in season, and you don't put awful out at tackle to get his lumps in (really, for the QB to get the rookie's lumps).

Center is the cavernous hole on the OL. I'd be less concerned if they traded down where they could still take the draft's best center & add another day 2 pick (if not an extra 2nd rounder outright) to take a still-solid tackle prospect where there's no GM/FO pressure to start him as a rookie week 1. Then - unless the day2 rookie tackle is wow'ing the eff out of every coach immediately, keep Brown-LT3-rookie-AVT-Becton as the opening day starters; if a rookie needs to join them because Becton goes on IR again, he dukes it out with Mitchell and the better one plays. By next year, unless we've chosen poorly, he should be the starter. I'm handicapped by not being up on pretty much any prospects, so I'm relegated to naming positions not players to draft, but others know the names better.

Where we don't disagree is that we're all so unaccustomed to an elite QB starting for the Jets it's overlooked how much better they make their OL look. We all see how great they look but too many unintentionally draw incorrect conclusions that their OLs must also have no flaws. Except the Bengals, lol. So they don't need to be perfect, but going bananas to bring in an Aaron Rodgers - not for a long term move but for a quick strike that may only be one season long - only to stick two rookies on the OL for that season, isn't my favorite plan.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Leaving the 1st 2 rounds with your starting RT and starting center wouldn't be an issue for me at all.

Amen to that, or even LT... It's a no-brainer.  Skoronski/Jones, and Schmitz/Tippman works for me.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

......we're all so unaccustomed to an elite QB starting for the Jets it's overlooked how much better they make their OL look. We all see how great they look but too many unintentionally draw incorrect conclusions that their OLs must also have no flaws. Except the Bengals, lol. So they don't need to be perfect, but going bananas to bring in an Aaron Rodgers - not for a long term move but for a quick strike that may only be one season long - only to stick two rookies on the OL for that season, isn't my favorite plan.

1. Would draft picks be better than the players we would otherwise have/play?

2. Are O-linemen investments for beyond the 1-year rental of Aaron Rodgers?

I would answer "Yes" to both questions if the picks are Skoronski (OT/OG) and Schmitz (C).

Going all in on Rodgers, and presuming a weak O-line will just "be better" because Rodgers is there is, IMO, a mistake.  Yes, having a good QB will help to some degree, but Rodgers isn't a spring chicken, and isn't exactly the fastest scrambler runner these days.  Also, presuming our starting 5 stays healthy, given our and their history, seems like a poor bet.  And our depth is seriously weak on O-line.

Beyond that, I reject the idea that every move must be in slave to "all in on Rodgers for one year".  If that were the case, we really should have paid OBJ (meh, yuk) instead of letting him get to Baltimore.

I would argue that all picks should ask the two questions I ask above.  Better than what we got, and something worth having for more than just 1 year with Rodgers.

Let me ask, cause I feel like I missed it (on me, not you, I'm sure you've said it) but what is YOUR preference for the 3 picks in the 1st/2nd, if we were to retain them?  Are you in the Draft the WR from Ohio State group?  I do see some logic there too.  Interested who you'd want, with your criteria set forth above re: all in on Rodgers.