NFL hands down more gambling suspensions - including Jameson Williams (6 games)

2 minutes ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Suspended for betting on non NFL games tho?

Apparently the key to the Williams suspension was that he bet on a college game inside the Lions facility, which is prohibited under the gambling policy.

So it's not WHAT he bet on, but WHERE he bet it.

Don't ask me to explain why this would be a violation as opposed to him betting on a college game in his house...I'm sure they have their reasons.

It also looks like a number of other people working for the Lions were also fired for gambling.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36253087/wr-jameson-williams-four-lions-suspended-betting

Separate from these punishments, several Lions staff members in various departments were dismissed last month for violating the gambling policy, a source told ESPN.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Dan Campbell running a tight ship over there. 

If there is one thing anyone involved in pro sports should know by now, it's don't gamble while you are working for a professional sports league. It's not hard. 

Are some of the policies draconian and absurd? Yes. Will that save you from losing millions of dollars and hurting your career? It will not. 

When I first started at my law firm one of the partners did some really low level legal work for the NCAA, which is based in Indianapolis.

And when I say low level, I mean really low.  I can't imagine the amount of $$$ the work generated for the firm equated to more than a fraction of one percent of the money the firm brought in as a whole.

While sports betting wasn't legal back then, a condition of us doing this work was that the firm could not run an NCAA tourney bracket pool for all employees.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, KRL said:

These betting apps/sites are huge sponsors of all the sports leagues.  So they have no problem

taking their $$$, but players better not engage with them or else.  Did anybody say hypocrisy?

NFL Hall of Fame Steve Mariucci came out sponsoring "responsible" gambling. 

• Upvote 2

These betting apps/sites are huge sponsors of all the sports leagues.  So they have no problem
taking their $$$, but players better not engage with them or else.  Did anybody say hypocrisy?
Players in a competitive sport gambling .. who woulda thought that shouldn't be allowed.l?? Smh.

The idea is that the addictive nature of gambling would open doors to those players gambling on the competitions they are involved in.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

No I don't. Players who directly impact games should not be allowed to take part while they are still active players. It's common sense and good policy.

I wish Congress had similar policy when it comes to buying and selling stocks.

Senator - we are part of the same hypocrisy - but don't ever think it applies to my family.

One of the best movie lines ever because it is 1000% accurate. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Dan Campbell running a tight ship over there. 

If there is one thing anyone involved in pro sports should know by now, it's don't gamble while you are working for a professional sports league. It's not hard. 

Are some of the policies draconian and absurd? Yes. Will that save you from losing millions of dollars and hurting your career? It will not. 

It’s wild how much love this Lions team is getting in NFL media circles for a team that’s been mostly awful the last few years.

• Upvote 1

Just now, thebuzzardman said:

I'm just upset that there are all these gambling commercials and it's all a-ok, but there's no commercials for Zudo's Cocaine Bar and Prostitute Emporium. 

Why some people get to have their vices and I still have to sneak around? 

In time I guess. 

Yes… the Fall of Rome is upon us!

Thank you, JB… thank you.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, KRL said:

Bingo. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, ubiquitous gambling is not only going to hurt the NFL but do irreparable damage to trust in our society. 

Things are deteriorating rapidly 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1