Expectations for Max Mitchell?

He's seen some action (6 starts) on what was suppose to be a redshirt year and he had his ups and down but most of those downs were missed assignments rather then being over matched. 

I see most on this board want to pencil him in as a reserve. Is there anyone who has faith with him possibly starting and being a solid or possibly good 2nd year player with better QB play? 

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He's seen some action (6 starts) on what was suppose to be a redshirt year and he had his ups and down but most of those downs were missed assignments rather then being over matched. 

I see most on this board want to pencil him in as a reserve. Is there anyone who has faith with him possibly starting and being a solid or possibly good 2nd year player with better QB play? 

Maybe with one more year he could possibly man the RT spot in ‘24.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, LockeJET said:

If he never sees the field this season that’s a real positive. 

People down voting don't understand.

It means Becton is healthy, along with other starters.

Mitchell needs to add bulk, which is hard to do while recovering from blood clots.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

He needs to get healthy first. Not really counting on anything from him this year, although the signs were promising when he did play early last season.

Yup, no knock on the kid, but expect nothing and you can only be pleasantly surprised. 

Which is a mantra I have tried to live my Jet fandom by.  But it has not worked.  They always seem to find new and creative ways to disappoint. But that is going to change this year.  Right?

• Upvote 3

I hope he is the 4th OT behind Becton, Brown, Fant (I want to resign him) and then its Mitchell and a developmental OT from the 3-6th rounds.

I also hope he gets healthy and uses the year to get stronger and possibly be our RT in 2024.  

I know most of the board wants an OT at 13 but it really doesnt make a ton of sense to me unless is Skronski who can play IOL as well as OT and provide us some versatility.  Taking a guy like Broderick Jones who needs some development himself, doesnt seem like the best move for a team going all in on 2023-24.

This will be the last year of Duane Brown.  

This could be the last year of Mekhi Becton.  

We signed Cedric.  We could draft a T.  I think that is the need, but it may not be where the value is.  

I would find a way to get Mitchell strong and healthy so he can contribute in 2024.  Maybe he makes a late appearance in 2023.  But I would use up the other guys this year.  

I’m cautiously optimistic.

Health:  Saleh seemed very optimistic

Floor:  He was thrown into the fire as a rookie and held up well before his injury

Pass Pro:  Gave up 1 coverage sack (Zach) & a strip sack that appeared to be on too deep a drop by Flacco.  Then came back & gave up a 3rd sack in the game he was struggling with the blood clots

3 sacks across 350 reps for a rookie is promising (especially with our QBs)

Overall:  Smart, great feet, good technique, opportunity to get stronger.  I continue to be bullish on the young man ..

• Upvote 4

Don’t think we can reasonably expect anything from him this season. Who knows though, maybe he’s good enough to push Becton in camp.

Hopefully he can progress enough this year that he can be penciled in as a starter at RT in 2024. Would be Joe Douglas’ first OL development success.

Hard to say. He looked good the first few games, with little prior work with the first team, in a year that was supposed to be just bulking up with the occasional series when Becton tapped out, lol.

Then he was getting exposed the next game, and before it was done he was off the field with an injury. Then an unceremonious return, the clotting, and that was that.

Too early to call him anything yet, but from the comments here people would've deemed Mailata nothing more than career camp fodder. The F5L isn't going to go away as a concern, though, for a guy making his living in a profession where getting bruised is as common as breathing. May mean nothing long term with better care; who knows. 

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Are we set to continue with a zone blocking scheme with Hackett, or back to man? I could see our line being much improved in man.

It seems that way.  I read Hackett uses a pretty heavy zone blocking scheme (if I recall, around 10ish out of 32 teams).  

When you look at some of the rankings & analytics Jetsxfactor has shared over the past year ...

Stronger at zone

AVT

Tomlinson (49ers version before joining Jets) 

Mitchell

Brown (an assumption because Seattle was top 3 in league running zone ~70% of the time in his last year)

Stronger at man

Becton  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

If he's starting it's because somebody else got hurt.  Was a good story from a draft slot/contribution standpoint, but no way is he in Brown or Becton's league.  If Mekhi gets hurt again it's unlikely he'll outplay whoever the Jets take at OT with one of their first three picks.

The kid did alright last year. Nobody even expected him to be on the field. With injuries he had to play. Hope he gets better from his condition, and has the health to be able to continue to play at this level. That said, he needs to get in the weight room and pack on a few muscles, and some weight in order to take the next step. Right now he should be a backup, but we'll see after training camp and the draft I guess.

20 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

Waiting for Jif to lose it

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hard to say. He looked good the first few games, with little prior work with the first team, in a year that was supposed to be just bulking up with the occasional series when Becton tapped out, lol.

Then he was getting exposed the next game, and before it was done he was off the field with an injury. Then an unceremonious return, the clotting, and that was that.

Too early to call him anything yet, but from the comments here people would've deemed Mailata nothing more than career camp fodder. The F5L isn't going to go away as a concern, though, for a guy making his living in a profession where getting bruised is as common as breathing. May mean nothing long term with better care; who knows. 

He looked good when AVT was playing next to him. As soon as injuries to other players made it necessary  to move AVT to LT, that is when Mitchell got exposed. I think it was the game against the Steelers where the first signs of him being in over his head appeared. 

• Upvote 1

I thought he played well at times, got beat up a few times. That said, it looked too me like there is something at least to work with there. 

Excited to follow his development. Nobody should give up on him, it can take some time for a tackle to come around (Andrew Thomas was a bust last year, brick was a bust his rookie year).

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

He looked good when AVT was playing next to him. As soon as injuries to other players made it necessary  to move AVT to LT, that is when Mitchell got exposed. I think it was the game against the Steelers where the first signs of him being in over his head appeared. 

Plus keep in mind not only was he thrown out there way prematurely beginning week 1, but that further coincided with MLF deciding - with an injured LT and an unready RT - it was a great idea to pick that time to have old Joe Flacco drop back to pass 50-60x per week.

#puregenius

• Haha 1