Won't be the most popular decision at center, but could see it happening

AFJF

Just threw this tweet in an article about the Jets having more needs than picks but thought center was worth discussing on its own because McGovern is still out there.

Jets have met with JMS four or five times between combine, pro days, top 30, etc so it looks like he's the guy they want.  If he's gone before they pick in round two, do they pass on center entirely to bring McGovern or Ben Jones in for one season and plan on going center next year?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 2
  • More Ugh 1

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Just threw this tweet in an article about the Jets having more needs than picks but thought center was worth discussing on its own because McGovern is still out there.

Jets have met with JMS four or five times between combine, pro days, top 30, etc so it looks like he's the guy they want.  If he's gone before they pick in round two, do they pass on center entirely to bring McGovern or Ben Jones in for one season and plan on going center next year?

I would agree....but I can easily see the NYJ trade back to the later rd 1 to take Schmitz and garner another DP to trade to the GBP for AR to draft JMS late round 1.

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

I expect them to push hard for a trade down.  But as we know, teams don't always find trade partners.

They move down to the late teens/early 20's then I can see them taking JMS.

But if they can't move down from 13 and he's gone by 42, they're going to have some decisions to make re center.  Personally love the idea of adding JSM, Tippman or Stromberg but with more needs than picks, some spots are going to have to be addressed via FA.  Center makes sense in that regard.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I expect them to push hard for a trade down.  But as we know, teams don't always find trade partners.

But if they can't move down from 13 and he's gone by 42, they're going to have some decisions to make re center.  Personally love the idea of adding JSM, Tippman or Stromberg but with more needs than picks, some spots are going to have to be addressed via FA.  Center makes sense in that regard.

Another option they have is moving back into the first - plenty of ammo to move back into the first w/42 & 43. 

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Another option they have is moving back into the first - plenty of ammo to move back into the first w/42 & 43. 

I think one of 42 or 43 goes to GB for Rodgers.  It's an overpay, but I think they do it.

That's why I think they'll be working hard to move back.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

They’ll do both. Jones on a 2 year deal and a Center in the Draft IMO

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

They’ll do both. Jones on a 2 year deal and a Center in the Draft IMO

How early are you saying the go center and who starts?

If they're going to add a vet who isn't starting, I'd prefer McGovern.  Has history at G and C with no concussion issues.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Wouldn't surprise me and I agree it's an overpay. I'm hoping they wait until after the draft to make that trade. 

My ideal scenario too.  Either that, or GB gets a 4 this year and a 3 next year.

• Upvote 2

I would not be a big fan JMS in the first, even after a trade down. Second round player. Old. No need to get too crazy with him.

Fine with him at 42/43, though I prefer Tippmann. If neither is there at 42/43 the veteran approach is fine. Maybe see if Wypler/Stromberg is there in the fourth.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, IntoTheGreen said:

They don't need to fill every hole...just the important ones. Center is important and I don't want to see McGovern back. It could be the most important position to address. Everything else can be covered by good QB play. 

Which ones aren't important?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

How early are you saying the go center and who starts?

If they're going to add a vet who isn't starting, I'd prefer McGovern.  Has history at G and C with no concussion issues.

2nd or 4th. Apart from last year I think Jones was relatively healthy. Just got his bell rung a couple of times. Much better player than McG

1 minute ago, derp said:

I would not be a big fan JMS in the first, even after a trade down. Second round player. Old. No need to get too crazy with him.

Fine with him at 42/43, though I prefer Tippmann. If neither is there at 42/43 the veteran approach is fine. Maybe see if Wypler/Stromberg is there in the fourth.

I don't disagree.  Looking primarily at the fact that they've met with him more than they have with any other player.  If they like him that much and think he can be the anchor for 10+ years, they might do it.  I'd prefer they wait until the 40's as well.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

2nd or 4th. Apart from last year I think Jones was relatively healthy. Just got his bell rung a couple of times. Much better player than McG

We did our final JN mock the other day and I took Stromberg in the 4th.  Would love that too, but just looking at number of holes vs number of draft picks and how you fill those spots if there are no trade downs available.  One thought I had was McGovern still being out there.

As I said, unpopular for sure, but not impossible.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So, we’re down to 5 picks… 2-#1 picks, 1-4th, 1-5th, 1-6th? ?

They could theoretically trade 42 and 43 to Baltimore (usually a fan of trading down, has no second round pick) for 22 and 86. Avenues to move up without giving up picks.

Not my favorite idea but Joe Douglas does love him a trade up. Jones, Tippmann, go up the middle of the defense (DT/LB/S) in 3-4-5. Take a little heat off Jones as a rookie with Tippmann being a starter and another first round pick. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

or trade into the 20's and pickup a 3rd. 42+43 = 17

could be 42 + 43 for 23 + 87, for example. i know value isn't exact to chart there.

I think the team to watch is Tampa.  If a QB falls to 13, that 20/21 range is about as far back as I'd want the Jets to go.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, derp said:

They could theoretically trade 42 and 43 to Baltimore (usually a fan of trading down, has no second round pick) for 22 and 86. Avenues to move up without giving up picks.

Not my favorite idea but Joe Douglas does love him a trade up. Jones, Tippmann, go up the middle of the defense (DT/LB/S) in 3-4-5. Take a little heat off Jones as a rookie with Tippmann being a starter and another first round pick. 

You don't think they send 42 or 43 to GB for Rodgers?

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You don't think they send 42 or 43 to GB for Rodgers?

I don’t. They certainly could. Kind of think it’d be done already if they were going to.

Jets have a tight window, picks now help them. Packers presumably want 2023 picks to help Love. So I think they are held at a premium on both sides.

That being the case, I think Douglas has an offer with 2023 picks in the table, but it’s pretty light. And I think the Packers understand it’s light for those reasons and they’re stubborn and willing to wait.

Picks now are also hopefully higher than picks later. And it’s much easier to figure out the “does Rodgers play in 2024” conditions if they’re sending 2024 and 2025 picks than 2023 and 2024 and maybe something goes back in 2025.

The scenario I could see them trading picks this year for Rodgers is if they move back and use that capital to trade for him or the additional capital means they’ll trade some of the capital they have for Rodgers. But I think those scenarios will be contingent on who’s available to them.

Would love to see them flip down to 29 and pick up 40, and the Saints are always aggressive and have met with some mid first round guys.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I don't. Chris Ballard said there were 17 "first round" grades for them this year. If we move down good chance we don't get one. And the 13th pick has been incredibly successful in the draft.

25 minutes ago, derp said:

I don’t. They certainly could. Kind of think it’d be done already if they were going to.

Jets have a tight window, picks now help them. Packers presumably want 2023 picks to help Love. So I think they are held at a premium on both sides.

That being the case, I think Douglas has an offer with 2023 picks in the table, but it’s pretty light. And I think the Packers understand it’s light for those reasons and they’re stubborn and willing to wait.

Picks now are also hopefully higher than picks later. And it’s much easier to figure out the “does Rodgers play in 2024” conditions if they’re sending 2024 and 2025 picks than 2023 and 2024 and maybe something goes back in 2025.

The scenario I could see them trading picks this year for Rodgers is if they move back and use that capital to trade for him or the additional capital means they’ll trade some of the capital they have for Rodgers. But I think those scenarios will be contingent on who’s available to them.

Would love to see them flip down to 29 and pick up 40, and the Saints are always aggressive and have met with some mid first round guys.

Would be great if true.  Have been saying that I hope talk of the Jets offering a 2 and a 2 this year and next is more made up BS and Joe D is offering a lot less.

I've endured 35 years of bad QB play.  One more year to avoid giving up multiple premium picks for a one-year rental is fine by me.

• Upvote 1

Just now, johnnysd said:

I don't. Chris Ballard said there were 17 "first round" grades for them this year. If we move down good chance we don't get one. And the 13th pick has been incredibly successful in the draft.

Eh, that's Ballard's board.  Some teams might have 13 and other might have 22.  And would it be the worst thing in the world to get a guy with a high round 2 grade vs a low round 1 grade?  It's splitting hairs at that point IMO.

I'd be fine with using or trading 13, but I think the Jets would like to add picks.  Hard to imagine them using only 5 or 6 picks.

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

When did the draft become 100% need picks ?  Since when do you have to come away from the draft with all the “needs” met ?   That’s the easiest way to fubar the draft 

Teams say they draft BPA, but isn't it funny that by some amazing/uncanny coincidence, the BPA is almost always a guy who fills a need?

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Eh, that's Ballard's board.  Some teams might have 13 and other might have 22.  And would it be the worst thing in the world to get a guy with a high round 2 grade vs a low round 1 grade?  It's splitting hairs at that point IMO.

I'd be fine with using or trading 13, but I think the Jets would like to add picks.  Hard to imagine them using only 5 or 6 picks.

I think GMs would tell you a true first rounder is much more valuable than the 2nd round grades in round 1. Just this week Kirwan and Polian have said this. The pics at the top for true 1st rounders are super valuable. It's why you dont see many trades early usually but then a ton in the 2nd half of the first round.

JD is playing with fire at the C position, feels a bit like last year with QB2.

But if they do get their hands on JMS or a top C in the draft and still have a potential shot at McGovern coming back, I'm happy as a clam with that depth. McGovern can fill in at Guard as well. 

I dont think JMS falls to the Jets Rd 2 pick, but they might trade down from Rd 1 to specifically target him and try to re-coop draft capital they lose in the Rodgers deal. 

• Upvote 1

One of the 2nds will be dealt, at least I hope the Rodgers trade gets made.

If if doesn't I see us using one of the 2nds to trade down instead of taking back to back players.

(I still think we got fleeced in the Elijah Moore deal. a 2nd for a 3rd and an NFL player.)

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I'd be okay with either. So much riding on this season, a rookie center isn't the best choice. This offensive line is going to be better than last year with the pieces they already have in place. Would love a 4th \ 5th round center on the roster that they can develop.