Zach’s mom reacts to Rodgers trade

2 hours ago, derp said:

He needed to sit when they drafted him, it’ll be interesting to see if they can develop him over the next couple of years. 

# 2 overall pick ends up needing 4 years of development and still very likely ends up terrible.  Solid use of draft capital.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Optimistic is way too charitable.  I'd say it goes from 7% to 17% at most.  

You say he's being too optimistic and you give a weaker Ryan Leaf a 17 % chance of success?

I don't think you know what the word "optimistic" means then.  

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I think this concept of "Aaron Rodgers will help Wilson's development!" Is kind of hilarious.  I can see ARod walking off the field to Zach saying, "See, bro! Just drop back, step up in the pocket and rip it 45 yards on a dime and make a perfect throw to the covered guy. Too easy, man!". 

?

Exactly.  There's a reason why Ted Williams ended up being a terrible Hitting Coach and Manager.  He was too good at his craft to be of any use to mere mortals.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

His competition for the QB2 job is Tim Boyle.  Better situation than most.

Think he'll make Boyle's life a "living hell"?  Poor Tim.  

If there is a betting market on Tim Boyle having more positive impact on the 2023 Jets I want in.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at things in a different light, this is the first season in Zach’s career he has no pressure on him. He gets to go into the season knowing that his job is to learn the position, not save the jets. Not sure where he’ll be in a season or two but you have to think the majority of his issues were mental ones. He gets to lay low, This is a good opportunity to get that figured out.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I think this concept of "Aaron Rodgers will help Wilson's development!" Is kind of hilarious.  I can see ARod walking off the field to Zach saying, "See, bro! Just drop back, step up in the pocket and rip it 45 yards on a dime and make a perfect throw to the covered guy. Too easy, man!". 

?

The hope isn't for Rodgers to teach him directly by telling him tips and tricks. That's what coaches are supposed to do. If Zach learns at all from Rodgers, it will be from watching an actually good QB play on his team rather than himself or some crappy nobody backup (Who could also be himself, I guess).

I guess one idea is that although Rodgers will be the starter he will work with Zach and try to show him how to competently play the QB position. They have a friendship plus over the years Rodgers a player Zach looks up to. That brings up two questions. Does Rodgers really want to be a mentor and teacher esp with a player he’s competing against. And is Zach a good student and can he learn. He had Beck and that didn’t really work that well. Also Flacco who Zach likes and said he was happy when Joe returned to team. 

44 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It could be that even Zach thinks it’s a good idea for him to sit for awhile so he can learn how to play the position. Remember after being benched he returned for the Jax game and was even worse. He should have sat down at least for season one. 

I mean collecting 9M per to sit in the shadows and bear responsibility for absolutely nothing is a pretty good gig if you can get it.

It’s like being the 12th man on a good NBA team.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I mean collecting 9M per to sit in the shadows and bear responsibility for absolutely nothing is a pretty good gig if you can get it.

It’s like being the 12th man on a good NBA team.

Maybe for some it would be.  But for a guy who comes from a wealthy family, has Steve Young as a family mouthpiece, and still lives at home (thus saving money by not purchasing property in northern NJ), I don't think the money means all that much to him.

54 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It could be that even Zach thinks it’s a good idea for him to sit for awhile so he can learn how to play the position. Remember after being benched he returned for the Jax game and was even worse. He should have sat down at least for season one. 

Sitting and learning won't fix his fear of a pass rush and inability to process quickly.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sitting and learning won't fix his fear of a pass rush and inability to process quickly.  

If he was drafted by the Pats, I wonder how many JN posters would be optimistic that he could turn it around. The answer would be "not a damned one," assuming they could even catch their breath long enough between fits of laugher at his terrible performance to express the opinion.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly. The fear of the pass rush is what’s holding him back. He’s got all the physical talent to be an effective QB 

Hopeful he can get over this fear but not very optimistic at all that he can 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I didn’t see that fear you’re talking about. 

You mean when he routinely tried to escape the pocket at the first sign of trouble (real or imaginary) and turned his back on the pass rush?  You sure you were watching Jets games?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You mean when he routinely tried to escape the pocket at the first sign of trouble (real or imaginary) and turned his back on the pass rush?  You sure you were watching Jets games?

It's not a retreat, it's a strategic repositioning.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I guess one idea is that although Rodgers will be the starter he will work with Zach and try to show him how to competently play the QB position. They have a friendship plus over the years Rodgers a player Zach looks up to. That brings up two questions. Does Rodgers really want to be a mentor and teacher esp with a player he’s competing against. And is Zach a good student and can he learn. He had Beck and that didn’t really work that well. Also Flacco who Zach likes and said he was happy when Joe returned to team. 

If Rodgers is competing with Zach then I work at NASA 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did he scramble backwards instead of running forwards many times. But it was to make a play not because he was afraid of a pass rush. Zach has good legs and he ran into the line or sidelines and gained yardage too. It’s an error in his game he should be able to fix. 

• Upvote 1