Relax

I have zero issue moving down two spots.  Good possibility you could still get a good OL there anyway.  I never had an issue giving up a second rounder since I already suspected it would cost 2 2nds in a trade.  I’m also intrigued with possibly moving down to gain more picks.  Either way I’m fine with this years draft.  Losing next years first stings I won’t lie but hopefully we win the Super Bowl and it won’t matter 

• Upvote 1

So those that can't depend on Becton, why the confidence in AVT? how do we know he won't be injury prone?  (sarcasm...knock on wood) I know it's easy to hang the often injured on Becton and you won't know until you know, but his biggest problem was not that he couldn't play it was playing at that weight which led to injuries... So I don't think it's a silly thought to think a healthy, in shape Becton is a good thing...

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I am worrying about the oline any scenario that is actually counting on Becton is flawed.   I like Torrence but imo we need a guy that can play tackle.

Can you IMAGINE this forum if Rodgers were to get knocked out for the season after he hits the 65% snap mark because Mekhi Bacon gave up a sack? 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Listen, if you’re whining about picks - stop. Having 15 overall still affords us plenty of maneuverability in this draft. Plenty of value to add picks.

So, everyone is like “Wut about the tackles?”, I get it, but the worst-case scenario for the OL this year is: Duane, Tomlinson, McGovern, AVT, Becton

Thats not bad. We don’t “need” an OT in R1. It would be nice, but it’s not a necessity. If we add an OG via draft or FA we can move AVT to RT, and suddenly we’ve got even fewer problems.

15 overall (if we find a trade partner) can give us a mid-20’s pick, a third this year, and a 2nd next year. This absorbs the Rodgers trade cost, plus positions us in this draft for a top OG, OC, S, TE, LB or DT. All of which fit needs.

All of this to say, if JD takes a page out of Lurie’s book, we’ll recoup capital. 

You may not agree with my picks, but it’s to illustrate my point. Imagine something like this:

O'Cyrus Torrence
    OG Florida
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Mazi Smith
    DT Michigan

• NYJ
    Tucker Kraft
    TE South Dakota State
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Tyler Steen
    OT Alabama

• NYJ
    Dorian Williams
    LB Tulane

• NYJ
    Dorian Thompson-Robinson
    QB UCLA

• 2024 BUF 2nd

A trade back 10-12 spots to recoup some draft capital would be very ideal, unless of course we think someone will fall to us that we love similar to AVT.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jetstream said:

So those that can't depend on Becton, why the confidence in AVT? how do we know he won't be injury prone?  (sarcasm...knock on wood) I know it's easy to hang the often injured on Becton and you won't know until you know, but his biggest problem was not that he couldn't play it was playing at that weight which led to injuries... So I don't think it's a silly thought to think a healthy, in shape Becton is a good thing...

A healthy becton n good shape is a great thing you just can't relay on it.

Why worry about becton and not avt?

Becton has been injured bad twice, his body frame is a recipe for more injuries, he has tapped out of games, he was getting destroyed in camp last year before his injury.

Becton comes in and suprises?  Great!

Making him a large part of your plan to protect rodgers?  Risky as hell.

17 minutes ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

A trade back 10-12 spots to recoup some draft capital would be very ideal, unless of course we think someone will fall to us that we love similar to AVT.

Yea, agreed - that’s the cool part of having an early R2 pick also. That can be leveraged in a trade back too.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont hate it.  AVT was studding out at RT.  Torrence is a stud.  He'll transition well and quickly.  

To your point, I think it illustrates the flexibility the Jets have w/ 4 of 5 starters returning w/ Becton and Mitchell getting healthy and AVT's versatility.  They really can look at the BAP here and try to maximize value.

Yea, plus a RT can be grabbed in FA still, if needed. There’s definitely no need for a plug and play rookie.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Listen, if you’re whining about picks - stop. Having 15 overall still affords us plenty of maneuverability in this draft. Plenty of value to add picks.

So, everyone is like “Wut about the tackles?”, I get it, but the worst-case scenario for the OL this year is: Duane, Tomlinson, McGovern, AVT, Becton

Thats not bad. We don’t “need” an OT in R1. It would be nice, but it’s not a necessity. If we add an OG via draft or FA we can move AVT to RT, and suddenly we’ve got even fewer problems.

15 overall (if we find a trade partner) can give us a mid-20’s pick, a third this year, and a 2nd next year. This absorbs the Rodgers trade cost, plus positions us in this draft for a top OG, OC, S, TE, LB or DT. All of which fit needs.

All of this to say, if JD takes a page out of Lurie’s book, we’ll recoup capital. 

You may not agree with my picks, but it’s to illustrate my point. Imagine something like this:

O'Cyrus Torrence
    OG Florida
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Mazi Smith
    DT Michigan

• NYJ
    Tucker Kraft
    TE South Dakota State
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Tyler Steen
    OT Alabama

• NYJ
    Dorian Williams
    LB Tulane

• NYJ
    Dorian Thompson-Robinson
    QB UCLA

• 2024 BUF 2nd

The guard is an interesting strategic play that I kind of like.

Not necessarily to replace AVT as our starting guard long term but as a contingency for 2 things.

1. If AVT needs to move to Tackle in case of injuries

2. To replace Tomlinson in the starting lineup if he continues to underperform .. and to take his starting spot next year

Also like investing in a developmental QB.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

O'Cyrus Torrence
    OG Florida
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Mazi Smith
    DT Michigan

• NYJ
    Tucker Kraft
    TE South Dakota State
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Tyler Steen
    OT Alabama

• NYJ
    Dorian Williams
    LB Tulane

• NYJ
    Dorian Thompson-Robinson
    QB UCLA

• 2024 BUF 2nd

Posting before reading every other post first, in case I'm repeating someone else's opinion, but even in the absence of taking another 4th round OT, here's a bonus subtlety in taking a premium guard in the low 20s over the 3rd-6th rated tackle at 15 or 27 or 43 (or round 4, other than just to do it), if early 2023 start-worthy OL depth is the huge concern.

Because AVT can slide over to either tackle spot in a pinch, indirectly it's still providing more depth at both guard and tackle. It's moving 2 parts instead of 1, but it'd only happen if we were down to at least the 4th tackle, if not 5th. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Posting before reading every other post first, in case I'm repeating someone else's opinion, but even in the absence of taking another 4th round OT, here's a bonus subtlety in taking a premium guard in the low 20s over the 3rd-6th rated tackle at 15 or 27 or 43 (or round 4, other than just to do it), if early 2023 start-worthy OL depth is the huge concern.

Because AVT can slide over to either tackle spot in a pinch, indirectly it's still providing more depth at both guard and tackle. It's moving 2 parts instead of 1, but it'd only happen if we were down to at least the 4th tackle, if not 5th. 

Yeah, exactly my point. AVT on the roster means drafting the BPA on OL badically improves 2 spots.

• Upvote 2

How many 1st round picks have the Jets had since they were last in the playoffs?   How has that been working out for them?  The swap in the first round doesn't bother me at all, and the 2024 1st at 65% of snaps kind of sucks, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it.  Jets are in the best shape going in to the season in a while, and I think I'll focus on that.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

O'Cyrus Torrence
    OG Florida
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Mazi Smith
    DT Michigan

• NYJ
    Tucker Kraft
    TE South Dakota State
    trade icon
  • NYJ
    Tyler Steen
    OT Alabama

• NYJ
    Dorian Williams
    LB Tulane

• NYJ
    Dorian Thompson-Robinson
    QB UCLA

• 2024 BUF 2nd

How dare you present logic? Stop it. JetNation is watching. 

3 hours ago, JTJet said:

Can you IMAGINE this forum if Rodgers were to get knocked out for the season after he hits the 65% snap mark because Mekhi Bacon gave up a sack? 

Can you image how much I wouldn’t care who gave up the sack that knocked him out.  Or that you missed the point that Becton was playing in week 14?

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Can you image how much I wouldn’t care who gave up the sack that knocked him out.  Or that you missed the point that Becton was playing in week 14?

He could be playing in week 14 and have played sh*tty the whole time. Par for the course for half this team historically.

1 hour ago, Orangejet88 said:

How many 1st round picks have the Jets had since they were last in the playoffs?   How has that been working out for them?  The swap in the first round doesn't bother me at all, and the 2024 1st at 65% of snaps kind of sucks, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape about it.  Jets are in the best shape going in to the season in a while, and I think I'll focus on that.

It is honestly interesting from a human behavior standpoint that the very same posters that were loudest in their condemnation of those who were pessimistic about Zach are the most pessimistic about bringing in a future HOFer for much less in draft capital value than the #2 overall we threw in the dumpster on Zach.

I wish one of them would donate their brains to science when they pass. We could learn so much.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JTJet said:

He could be playing in week 14 and have played sh*tty the whole time. Par for the course for half this team historically.

Doubtful if he’s playing going onto his 15th game.  I’ll take that chance

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

It is honestly interesting from a human behavior standpoint that the very same posters that were loudest in their condemnation of those who were pessimistic about Zach are the most pessimistic about bringing in a future HOFer for much less in draft capital value than the #2 overall we threw in the dumpster on Zach.

I wish one of them would donate their brains to science when they pass. We could learn so much.

Hoping to see a young, talented kid grow into a top tier NFL, offering long term sustainable success - seems to be a logical position.

Trading away an absurd amount of picks for an over the hill - former super star, harming the long term fortunes of the franchise -  seems counterproductive.

I do wonder how the mind of a person unwilling to look past 8 months works....

2 hours ago, jgb said:

What's odd is there seems to be more consternation dropping from #13 to #15 than the (probable) first we'll send to GB next year.

It kind of makes sense ... Round 1 this year is a very visible, known concept. We can project the guys who will / won't be there, we know how they match up to team needs etc.

Round 1 next year - who knows where we would have been picking, who will project to be available there, what our needs will be ... so many unknowns. You can't put names against the pick at this point, or even a general idea of position. It's just a number on a chart (and we can't even agree on which number!)