Interesting nugget from Rosenblatt

LAJohn

He said on his podcast that the Jets only have fifteen players with a first round grade in this years draft. 

I do get the sense that it is not a great draft this year for top end talent which is why I think teams are more likely to swing for QBs. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LAJohn said:

He said on his podcast that the Jets only have fifteen players with a first round grade in this years draft. 

I do get the sense that it is not a great draft this year for top end talent which is why I think teams are more likely to swing for QBs. 

Months ago I said at least five qbs would go in round one and 7 by the end of round 2.

Looks like I was just about right.

Young. Stroud, Levis, Richardson going round one.  Hooker perhaps round one too,  McKee probably round two, if not round three. 

Would also not be surprised to see either DTR or Haener or Tune go in the second round or early third.

I'm pretty good at math but this system is confusing.  I would think if there are 31 first round picks this year than the op 31 players would be rated as first round grades.  I guess if you want to weigh this year versus others for the purpose of possibly trading out it makes sense.  Than how does it go:  score every player and anyone above an established benchmark are considered worthy of a first round pick?  If none are there when you pick than trade out if possible?     

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

I'm pretty good at math but this system is confusing.  I would think if there are 31 first round picks this year than the op 31 players would be rated as first round grades.  I guess if you want to weigh this year versus others for the purpose of possibly trading out it makes sense.  Than how does it go:  score every player and anyone above an established benchmark are considered worthy of a first round pick?  If none are there when you pick than trade out if possible?     

They grade players independently in different categories with a total score  (for example 30 - 100 with 100 being top grade). They then have a value system for those grades (for example, >90 is a 1st rounder, >80 2nd rounder etc.).

What this says is they only have 15 players graded as 1st rounders based on their evaluation scores.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, LAJohn said:

Douglas said today they now will have 15 players they like, implying pre-trade they had 13 that they liked.   Note: That doesn't mean the 15 they like have 1st round grades.  That could mean trade down. I can't imagine when he said 15 players they like he would be a QB.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Douglas said today they now will have 15 players they like, implying pre-trade they had 13 that they liked.   Note: That doesn't mean the 15 they like have 1st round grades.  That could mean trade down. I can't imagine when he said 15 players they like he would be a QB.

He effectively said, “you have you have 15 players you like, instead of 13”, meaning we moved from 13 to 15. It was a nothing answer.

Everything else is unintelligent people yammering.

52 minutes ago, LAJohn said:

IF there is any truth to this then why not just give the Packers 13 and call it a day?

Dradt 2 early 2nd rounders and keep your first next year in a better draft where pick #25 may be equivalent to pick #13 talent wise?

• Post of the Week 1

40 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

this or the jets have established trade partners where they will really trade back into the end of round 1 and get draft capital back in 2024.  

This is what I think. And I may get flack for this but I think if they trade all they way into the back end of Rd. 1 they may take JMS, the guy they met with at the combine, had a private workout with, had a private visit with, and met with at his pro day. Like him or not, the Jets are all over this guy. 

Unless Broderick Jones slides to 15 or something like that, I really think JD will move down and recoup a 1st rounder for 2024. 

8 minutes ago, PepPep said:

This is what I think. And I may get flack for this but I think if they trade all they way into the back end of Rd. 1 they may take JMS, the guy they met with at the combine, had a private workout with, had a private visit with, and met with at his pro day. Like him or not, the Jets are all over this guy. 

Unless Broderick Jones slides to 15 or something like that, I really think JD will move down and recoup a 1st rounder for 2024. 

Yes, i agree they could trade back into the end of round 1 and take the center they like, and then they’d have enough draft capital this year to trade up on day 2 and get a DL they like.  

12 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Decent chance he's off the board before they are on the clock.

I don’t see how the Pats aren’t targeting a WR after losing Meyers. They are really going to roll with Davante Parker, JuJu, and Tyquan Thornton?

1 hour ago, LAJohn said:

Sounds like JD is trying to scare some trade ups outta teams

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I don’t know if he’ll manage to recoup a 2024 #1, but this plan wouldn’t upset me too much. If he’s ready, they should have an upgrade at center and their interior depth just greatly improved. Leave the OL signal calling to AVT or Rodgers. Joe Douglas has put together a pretty nice roster here. Not a lot of positions where you can draft a guaranteed starter in the first round - including OT. Center, Safety, and LB, maybe. 

It'll be interesting to see. He’s had more success using the pick or trading up than he has trading down. But moving down makes sense this year, especially if he can get a high 2024 pick out of it. 

11 minutes ago, LAJohn said:

I don’t see how the Pats aren’t targeting a WR after losing Meyers. They are really going to roll with Davante Parker, JuJu, and Tyquan Thornton?

I mean, I hope they take one high, seeing as Belichick sucks horrifically at drafting WRs:

• N'Keal Harry (1st - 2019)
  • Aaron Dobson (2nd - 2013)
  • Chad Jackson (2nd - 2006)
  • Bethel Johnson (2nd - 2003)
  • Taylor Price (3rd - 2010)
  • Brandon Tate (3rd - 2009)
  • Malcolm Mitchell (4th - 2016)
  • Josh Boyce (4th - 2013)
  • P.K. Sam (5th - 2004)

Last good one he took was Edelman back in 2009, who as a 7th rounder was likely only expected to be a KR.

Last good one he drafted high was Deion Branch.  21 years ago.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Interesting if true.  Guess that's why JD was OK with moving down from 13 to 15 in the trade then!

So, I would imagine JD does NOT have a 1st round grade on Levis nor Richardson. 

Here's my list of 15!!

Will Anderson Jr.
    EDGE Alabama
    scouting-report-icon

Bryce Young
    QB Alabama
    scouting-report-icon

C.J. Stroud
    QB Ohio State
    scouting-report-icon

Jalen Carter
    DT Georgia