New York Jets Offense: Depth Chart, Analysis & Draft Needs

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Running Back Depth Chart, Jets:

1. Breece Hall
  2. Michael Carter
  3. Zonovan Knight
  4. Ty Johnson
  5. Nick Bawden (FB)

Hackett likes 2 primary backs in his system. MC is a bit limited compared to the 1B backs he’s had in the past, I’m genuinely not sure what we have with BAM. I think we’ll end up with another guy here - but not sure it’s worth a oick with our limited amount. Maybe more UDFA.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Wide Receiver Depth Chart, Jets:

1. Garrett Wilson
  2. Allen Lazard
  3. Mecole Hardman
  4. Corey Davis
  5. Denzel Mims
  6. Diontae Spencer
  7. Malik Taylor
  8. Irvin Charles

GW and then a bunch of guys. I really hoped we’d do more here. Lazard and Corey are redundant. Hardman never fully clicked in KC. The rest are just bodies and/or nice stories.

Definitely need more here. If we’re going all-in, this ain’t it.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Hackett likes 2 primary backs in his system. MC is a bit limited compared to the 1B backs he’s had in the past, I’m genuinely not sure what we have with BAM. I think we’ll end up with another guy here - but not sure it’s worth a oick with our limited amount. Maybe more UDFA.

Some vet RBs that can be had cheap still. Hall would still be the guy obviously. But a guy better than Carter and Bam for depth.

Guys like....

Zeke, Hunt, Fournette

• Upvote 3

Tight End Depth Chart, Jets:

1. Tyler Conklin
  2. C.J. Uzomah
  3. Jeremy Ruckert
  4. Kenny Yeboah

I don’t care for this group. Conklin had too many drops last year in key moments. Uzomah seemed to make football his 2nd priority. I’d try to trade 1 of them and dip into the depth at TE in this draft. Rookie TE very rarely makes an impact, historically. Ruckert has promise. I like him. Elevate him.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Some vet RBs that can be had cheap still. Hall would still be the guy obviously. But a guy better than Carter and Bam for depth.

Guys like....

Zeke, Hunt, Fournette

Yea, exactly. It doesn’t need to be draft capital.

Offensive Line Depth Chart, Jets:

LT: Mekhi Becton/Duane Brown/Eric Smith
LG: Laken Tomlinson/Adam Pankey
? Connor McGovern/Wes Schweitzer/Trystan Colon
RG: Alijah Vera-Tucker/Chris Glaser
RT: Max Mitchell/Cedric Ogbuehi/Greg Senat

Oh boy.

AVT and McGovern are good. I think McG can play OG or OC, so resigning him gives us some flexibility in R2. 

I could see day one:

Duane Brown

Tomlinson 

JMS

McGovern

AVT

All that said, we need more.

• More Ugh 1

Any picks on D will be the rich getting richer, this is a pretty good group.

Safety could use another prospect. #3 corner or later, sane. Always room to improve edge and DL, but our resources really need to go to the offense.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

GW and then a bunch of guys. I really hoped we’d do more here. Lazard and Corey are redundant. Hardman never fully clicked in KC. The rest are just bodies and/or nice stories.

Definitely need more here. If we’re going all-in, this ain’t it.

I'd like to see CD with AR8 but overall agree.

A sick part of me really wanted JSN at 13 .... likely gone by 13 even more likely gone at 15.

I'm a fan of Josh Downs as a prospect and would not mind  taking him in the second. I have him and Flowers ranked in the same tier

I don’t know how JD would accomplish it (using some form of a trade), but we have to shore up our OL for Aaron Rodgers to stay healthy because if he gets hurt Zach is our starting QB again.

People keep saying AR has a quick release so he will be fine we don’t have to worry. But he is coming from a Green Bay team whose OL is ranked in the top 10 (7th to 9th) to our OL which is ranked close to 30th (27th to 29th) that is a huge difference in rankings and he is turning 40 during the season. When you enter your 40’s nothing on your body gets faster. The last we want is for him to have to run for his life like we watched our QB’s do last season.

The other argument for why our OL is fine as is was our OL was hurt last season. I don’t think there is any guarantee if someone was hurt last season they can’t get hurt again. We’ve had plenty of players who got hurt a lot during their careers when they played for us. Naturally I’m hoping everyone on our OL will be healthy this season . . . but just relying on hope is not a great strategy for success.

• Sympathy 1

Can't see taking insurance with 15th pick so unless premium pick falls that they consider day 1 starter material, I expect a trade back, more developmental draft.

Look for a few more skilled vets who will take less $ to be part of a run with Rodgers.

Unlike recent past, draft is not primary focus this offseason  Shows you how far we've come. 

Thanks JD!

• Upvote 2

Enjoyed this analysis of our depth chart. OT is by far our biggest need. It'd be nice if we could trade down in RD2 and pick up a 3rd. I could see a WR in RD2 and then defensive depth the rest of the way. With McGovern resigning and Schweitzer on board I think they pass on the centers early on.

3 hours ago, jgb said:

QB2 is a need. A steady JAG would be fine.

I agree. Especially for a team hoping to be a legit contender. 

But I think that ship has sailed. Unless they magically trade Zach on draft day (would have happened already, IMO), he's QB2. 

• More Ugh 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

I agree. Especially for a team hoping to be a legit contender. 

But I think that ship has sailed. Unless they magically trade Zach on draft day (would have happened already, IMO), he's QB2. 

I’d PS Zach to be honest dare someone to sign him and take on his contract 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

I’d PS Zach to be honest dare someone to sign him and take on his contract 

My sense is his value is so low that no one would do it. I think it's pretty telling that we've heard about people calling about Trey Lance, who has barely played in two years, but not Zach Wilson.

I also think the Jets are legitimately committed to trying to develop him. JD likes his guys. He only got rid of Darnold because he had the #2 overall pick and fell in love with Wilson as a prospect. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

My sense is his value is so low that no one would do it. I think it's pretty telling that we've heard about people calling about Trey Lance, who has barely played in two years, but not Zach Wilson.

I also think the Jets are legitimately committed to trying to develop him. JD likes his guys. He only got rid of Darnold because he had the #2 overall pick and fell in love with Wilson as a prospect. 

They probably wouldn’t take him. But his contract is guaranteed whether on the PS or not and it opens a roster spot. Why damage the team during an attempted Super Bowl run by putting him as QB2 because he’s a sunken cost? Get a steady-hand JAG QB in here as QB2.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

They probably wouldn’t take him. But his contract is guaranteed whether on the PS or not and it opens a roster spot. Why damage the team during an attempted Super Bowl run by putting him as QB2 because he’s a sunken cost? Get a steady-hand JAG QB in here as QB2.

I'm not convinced Douglas views him as a sunk cost. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

If QJ falls out of the first im intrigued.

I know I have to stop thinking good things about Kayshon Boutte but i just cant quit him.... my god was his combine bad .... but his sophomore year though.... agghhhh

Wouldnt hate it in the 4th ...If hes there in the 5th why not.... I think someone grabs him 3rd/4th though and its mega boom bust time.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

QB2 is a need. A steady JAG would be fine.

You're likely going to be disappointed.

OT, C, DT, LB, Safety, Punter.

I also hope Streveler is cut loose, and we at least snag an UDFA (Max Duggan perhaps?) for the P.S., but I'll likely be disappointed too.

Personally, I might just burn that last 5th on Clayton Tune, QB from Houston, to sit behind Aaron and Zach (because Zach just isn't going anywhere yet).

In reality, I think JD thinks he's all set at QB, Aaron #1, Zach-in-rebuild-mode #2, that Packers backup JAG #3 if needed, or maybe even #2.

• Upvote 1

I don't see how we go edge @ 15 but that's just my opinion.

The DT situation is not as bad as I thought since JFM or Clemons can slide inside on passing situations, but the board (especially if we trade back) might say DT in the 1st and get the OT in the 2nd if I guy like Wright is taken before we can pick.

In finally doing some mocks, I'm seeing a lot of guys I like at positions of need (C, LB, S, DT, OT) in the 2nd round. Hoping we can find a trade partner to slide down a few slots and recoup another 2nd round pick.

• Upvote 1

I firmly believe the Jets should and will still be looking to draft OT and C with their top two draft picks- barring a trade down. 

I don't really get why so many have DT as a major need. The Jets signed Jefferson, who perfectly fills the void created by Rankins when he left in FA. Sure, they could use some more depth and a true run stuffer. But DT is not a major need. Its just not. If a top tier DT talent who they highly covet slips to them, sure, I can totally see them drafting him early. But again, not for need.  

I also don't really understand how people equate the last minute signing of McGovern to suddenly having no need at the massive hole we have at C. McGovern is FAR from a long-term solution (most likely a one-year stop-gap) and our C depth is not great.  

As far the remaining selections. Once you get to Rd. 4, its kind of a matter of getting best value and going after specific players you scouted. I think the Jets will do just that. If there are players that slide who they had their eye, regardless of position, they will roll the dice (a guy like Luke Schoonmaker- TE comes to mind). Conversely, if there are players that they specifically scouted and like for their system, even if the value may not seem great, they may take. Rd. 5 will be huge for JD to hit on at least one player. I think this is a perfect spot for a shifty, play-making, slot WR and a speedy, situational LB. That's just me. The Jets could also use a ball-hawking FS so they may go in that direction. I think they like Jason Taylor II (who they had a private visit with). He would fit that role nicely.   

2 hours ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

I don’t know how JD would accomplish it (using some form of a trade),

I think it's pretty straightforward.

No, we won't have starting caliber backups and some will be rooks. 

But...I think JD will draft a C and OT early enough that they will be at least solid backups (one of them may vie for a starting spot- depending on how the draft plays out- do we stick at 15 and who will be there?)

That gives us: 

OT: Brown, Becton, Mitchell, Cedric Ogbuehi, + Rookie: That's plenty of depth, even if two guys go down, which would be terrible. Also AVT can slide out to OT in case of emergency.  

OG: Tomlinson, AVT: The depth at G is not great. But I'm imagining Schweitzer and a combination of Colon, McGovern and potentially a rookie Center would be the backups, which if fine. Not great but fine. 

Center: McGovern, Rookie, Colon: If the Jets draft a Center high, this gives them great flexibility, a future Center and solid depth. McGovern can start at G in case one of the Guards go down and the rookie can step in at C. Or, depending on which Center prospect they go after, maybe the rookie can step in as a backup Guard. Also, if AVT is needed at OT (only if absolutely necessary), same thing, McGovern or the rookie Center can step in at Guard for AVT. 

And yes, I think if the draft does not yield these results for one reason or another (hey, maybe a stud WR slides to us at 15 and we go in that direction??? or the Jets throw us a curveball and draft Branch out of 'Bama???), there is the post draft wave of FA when JD can sign a couple of JAG type backups. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

You're likely going to be disappointed.

I’m a Jets fan. I expect it :) 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

OT, C, DT, LB, Safety, Punter.

I also hope Streveler is cut loose, and we at least snag an UDFA (Max Duggan perhaps?) for the P.S., but I'll likely be disappointed too.

Personally, I might just burn that last 5th on Clayton Tune, QB from Houston, to sit behind Aaron and Zach (because Zach just isn't going anywhere yet).

In reality, I think JD thinks he's all set at QB, Aaron #1, Zach-in-rebuild-mode #2, that Packers backup JAG #3 if needed, or maybe even #2.

I’d also be partially-mollified if we take a guy around the 4th round that has slipped and maybe we get lucky and he’s better than Zach as QB2.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Let's not forget what having a legitimate QB and WRs that defenses fear can do for our running game. Yes, we have Hall, but I think even average RBs can have a lot of success in this offense. Agree - no need to spend draft capital on that position.

26 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I don't see how we go edge @ 15 but that's just my opinion.

The DT situation is not as bad as I thought since JFM or Clemons can slide inside on passing situations, but the board (especially if we trade back) might say DT in the 1st and get the OT in the 2nd if I guy like Wright is taken before we can pick.

In finally doing some mocks, I'm seeing a lot of guys I like at positions of need (C, LB, S, DT, OT) in the 2nd round. Hoping we can find a trade partner to slide down a few slots and recoup another 2nd round pick.

If we're to go edge, it would be a situation in which Tyree Wilson drops to 15 due his broken leg. Other then that I don't see it. 

The DT situation isn’t bad, but the opportunity to select Kancey or Carter to this unit is very intriguing. Jefferson and Solomon aren't starting quality players or even average players. Our defense is a Q injury away from getting exposed. So I definitely understand the group that wants a DT in the 1st as the supply and quality falls off around the 43 range. 

14 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

If we're to go edge, it would be a situation in which Tyree Wilson drops to 15 due his broken leg. Other then that I don't see it. 

The DT situation isn’t bad, but the opportunity to select Kancey or Carter to this unit is very intriguing. Jefferson and Solomon aren't starting quality players or even average players. Our defense is a Q injury away from getting exposed. So I definitely understand the group that wants a DT in the 1st as the supply and quality falls off around the 43 range. 

Agree.

The DTs I'd like to see in round 2 (if we go O @ 15 or later) are Smith (Michigan) or Adebawore (Northwestern). Kancey would be a good option if we trade down a bit in round 1

I'd prefer to avoid Carter.

I still expect they will resign Kwon.

Good C prospects on day 3, I like the kid from Notre Dame.

Fingers crossed for premium OT but think they will be long gone. DT, speed at WR, IOL, maybe a receiving TE. Kincaid falls in a lot of mocks. That's a pick that could pay dividends in year 1.