Jump to content

Jeremy Ruckert needs to take a big step up this year


Recommended Posts

Loved him out of Ohio State, but the Jets very much treated him as a developmental project. Week 18 he got some extensive time, and showed some blocking ability. he also flashed very good hands in college with the ability to catch away from his body.

Here is some of the week 18 blocks

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/01/09/ny-jets-jeremy-ruckert-season-finale/

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see if the ND tight end is available at 15 if the Jets draft him. Most of us think JD is going to take a OL but I could see them taking a guy like him. We got more offensive production out of the tight end position last year (but not from Ruckert) but a premier guy like him might be someone he would select. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Butterfield said:

I keep reading this.  Do they keep 4 tight ends?  Who is the odd man out.  

Not sure yet but maybe one of the vets goes.  I do think in a deep TE class they’re going to try and add a weapon at TE.  

At this point, i think there’s a decent chance they trade out of 15, b/c i do think they can address tackle later on while getting more picks.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Not sure yet but maybe one of the vets goes.  I do think in a deep TE class they’re going to try and add a weapon at TE.  

At this point, i think there’s a decent chance they trade out of 15, b/c i do think they can address tackle later on while getting more picks.  

It just doesn’t seem like a good use of resources, unless you think he is a once in a lifetime tight end.  I never thought last year that talent at tight end was the problem.  

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

It just doesn’t seem like a good use of resources, unless you think he is a once in a lifetime tight end.  I never thought last year that talent at tight end was the problem.  

I think they’re going to draft one, not in the first round.  I do think there’s a decent chance they trade out of 15.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Loved him out of Ohio State, but the Jets very much treated him as a developmental project. Week 18 he got some extensive time, and showed some blocking ability. he also flashed very good hands in college with the ability to catch away from his body.

Here is some of the week 18 blocks

https://jetsxfactor.com/2023/01/09/ny-jets-jeremy-ruckert-season-finale/

I hope he does, but he's 4th string right now. 

He has alot of work to do to see the field, and that's presuming JD doesn't draft another TE this cycle.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The TE usage overall last year was strange Ruckert was a red shirt, CJ got like 25 targets all season, didn't seem like much 12 personnel....not sure why they invested so heavily in the position if they weren't going to be creative and get these guys on the field and some touches...you would have thought that would have helped a young QB also but what do I know. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, undertow said:

The TE usage overall last year was strange Ruckert was a red shirt, CJ got like 25 targets all season, didn't seem like much 12 personnel....not sure why they invested so heavily in the position if they weren't going to be creative and get these guys on the field and some touches...you would have thought that would have helped a young QB also but what do I know. 

Some day people will realize how clueless MLF was and how clearly he is one of the worst OCs the Jets have ever had and we have had some serious clunkers.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It will be interesting to see if the ND tight end is available at 15 if the Jets draft him. Most of us think JD is going to take a OL but I could see them taking a guy like him. We got more offensive production out of the tight end position last year (but not from Ruckert) but a premier guy like him might be someone he would select. 

Jets Are NOT drafting a TE @ 15. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Some day people will realize how clueless MLF was and how clearly he is one of the worst OCs the Jets have ever had and we have had some serious clunkers.

Yeah I agree I think the best strategy regarding the position is running it back with the same players and a new OC and not wasting more top resources on a already talented group.  People crying around here about draft picks but want to spend a 3rd and a 1st plus two big contracts on tight ends in two years. lol  Apparently the TE is more important than the QB.

  • WTF? 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It will be interesting to see if the ND tight end is available at 15 if the Jets draft him. Most of us think JD is going to take a OL but I could see them taking a guy like him. We got more offensive production out of the tight end position last year (but not from Ruckert) but a premier guy like him might be someone he would select. 

Michael Mayer is an absolute beast. Far from an expert when it comes to the draft but if they took him at 15 - no complaints from me 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Michael Mayer is an absolute beast. Far from an expert when it comes to the draft but if they took him at 15 - no complaints from me 

Mayer is my outsider bet for the Jets pick - either at 15 or, preferably, with a trade down into the 20s.

He's not one of those 'unicorns' but he is a complete TE who can block and catch, Rodgers would appreciate him.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Ruckert a lot.  I think even if we draft one of these high-end pass catching TEs, Ruckert will still have a future here as more of a run-blocking TE.  I do think he has more potential as a receiver than most people, though.  Hope he gets a lot of looks this year, regardless of whether or not we draft another TE.  

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

4th string?  You moving Yeboah back ahead of him?  He is the 3rd TE and TE generally takes some transitional time.  

Because 1st round TEs have been such a great allocation of resources?

I get that he has 1st round grades, but he is pretty far from the athletic beast I want at TE.  I would rather look for the next Waller than the next Kyle Brady.  I kind of feel the same about him and Branch.  They are good, but the lack of elite athleticism drops them down my board a decent amount.

Trade down and get Kincaid

Move down 10 spots and get yourself a legit NFL weapon.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I hope he does, but he's 4th string right now. 

He has alot of work to do to see the field, and that's presuming JD doesn't draft another TE this cycle.

As fans the part we don’t know is how much progress the team saw last season.  
 

I think the consensus was it would take a season, but it’s not like they magically get better by waiting a year.  Hopefully he progresses.   TE seems to be one of the tougher positions to transition to the NFL in.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Meyer is my outsider bet for the Jets pick - either at 15 or, preferably, with a trade down into the 20s.

He's not one of those 'unicorns' but he is a complete TE who can block and catch, Rodgers would appreciate him.

He reminds me of Bavaro - I would sign up for that

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

 

I need to find the thread, but somebody on Twitter tracked the success of TEs relative to draft position over the last couple of decades and concluded it's the single worst position to spend a first-round pick on.

 

1 minute ago, bonkertons said:

Kincaid might not even be there at 15.  I'll be shocked if he's there at 25.

Has anybody compared projecting these receiving threat TEs vs. traditional?  I find him more intriguing than Mayer, but he didn't even test.  Guys like Vernon Davis seemed like can't miss prospects, but while a solid pro he didn't do his original drafters any great favors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...