Aaron Rodgers New Contract Details...Is He Playing in '24?

C Mart

Aaron Rodgers signed his revised contract with the #Packers before 4 p.m. ET Tuesday, per source. So everything remains on schedule: Trade papers can be filed after 4 p.m. ET today and Rodgers will officially become a member of the #Jets.

The restructure pushed all but the minimum salary and a small workout bonus into 2024, so New York will need to rework it again. Green Bay will carry a roughly $40 million dead cap hit in 2023 and Rodgers will be off the books in 2024.

By reworking the deal this way, Green Bay saves $14.575M in 2023 cap space instead of getting a credit in 2024. For at least the next couple days, Rodgers is due $1.215 million in 2023 and $107.6 million in 2024. This will obviously change.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

He's playing in '24

Brad Spielberger, Esq. @PFF_Brad

Looks like Rodgers converted his 2023 option bonus of $58.3M into a roster bonus for 2024, and then the Jets will convert it once he's on the team With below tweet where Pelissero says there's $107M in 2024, that would mean no change to the cash over the two years

Jason_OTC @Jason_OTC

Right. They needed to move it all around to make the trade work. Jets wont need to redo a deal for now to make the trade either. Now its up to the Jets to do the heavy lifting and reworking the deal however they want to do it

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

It will be spread out over more than two years and there may be “void years.”

contract could be for 3-4 years or 5 years — doesn’t mean he’ll play 5 years but the money will still be spread out over that period. 

this will make jets more competitive 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Vader said:

It will be spread out over more than two years and there may be “void years.”

contract could be for 3-4 years or 5 years — doesn’t mean he’ll play 5 years but the money will still be spread out over that period. 

this will make jets more competitive 

Agree. But this means he's not one and done.  He's needs to play in '24 to get the $100m or am I way off on this?   If I'm not, why isn't this huge news?  Also validates the '24 pick to GB

• Upvote 1

Just now, C Mart said:

Agree. But this means he's not one and done.  He's needs to play in '24 to get the $100m or am I way off on this?   If I'm not, why isn't this huge news?  Also validates the '24 pick to GB

He’ll like renovate his deal now with us, and we’ll see how money gets distributed. In general, yes, he has to play ‘24 for the windfall. The numbers will shift though.

My sense is he wants a ring or two, to jump over Manning in the GOAT debates.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Just now, Integrity28 said:

He’ll like renovate his deal now with us, and we’ll see how money gets distributed. In general, yes, he has to play ‘24 for the windfall. The numbers will shift though.

My sense is he wants a ring or two, to jump over Manning in the GOAT debates.

I don’t think the deal would be made the way it was made if FO didn’t have an inkling this was for more than 1 year even if it will be year to year or wait and see. 

the agreement appears to be for at least two years 

which is…pretty cool 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

It’s important news for sure. This removes 1 of the risk of the trade. Rodgers being one and done.

The other risk is missing out on a top OT. We will know more on that tomorrow once we are on the clock.

28 minutes ago, C Mart said:

He's playing in '24

Looks like Rodgers converted his 2023 option bonus of $58.3M into a roster bonus for 2024, and then the Jets will convert it once he's on the team With below tweet where Pelissero says there's $107M in 2024, that would mean no change to the cash over the two years

Jason_OTC @Jason_OTC

Right. They needed to move it all around to make the trade work. Jets wont need to redo a deal for now to make the trade either. Now its up to the Jets to do the heavy lifting and reworking the deal however they want to do it

This contract breakdown also backs up what Connor Hughes and Boomer Esiason have said.  And Boomer has been saying this for a couple of weeks

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

It’s important news for sure. This removes 1 of the risk of the trade. Rodgers being one and done.

The other risk is missing out on a top OT. We will know more on that tomorrow once we are on the clock.

JMO I think the only OT they may now lose out on is B.Jones....I don't think Johnson or Skoronski are/were going to be there at #13

There are still quality OTs for late 1st / 2nd.  They just seem to need a yr for development.  Maybe their plan is Brown for LT with Becton moving to LT and Mitchell jumping into RT should Brown miss time.  I also wonder if Fant is resigned to a McGovern type 1 yr cheap deal (if healthy)...

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

This contract breakdown also backs up what Connor Hughes and Boomer Esiason have said.  And Boomer has been saying this for a couple of weeks

He's not playing in 2023 for the minimum though - this deal will be reworked again soon, shifting more money to this year.  This is just a temporary deal that allowed the Packers to trade him and for us to fit him under the cap without restructuring / cutting other guys.

But, I do believe he will play for a sub-market rate this year, to help out the team, and take the bulk of his 2-year payout in 2024.  Once we see the final reworked numbers, we'll have a better idea if he is likely to play two or more years.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

For those clamoring for a Quinnen Williams deal... hold your horses.

This is the kind of stuff that needs to be resolved before JD can finalize both the size and structure of a deal he can do for QW.

Trade QW for Davante Adams babyyyyy

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

Aaron Rodgers signed his revised contract with the #Packers before 4 p.m. ET Tuesday, per source. So everything remains on schedule: Trade papers can be filed after 4 p.m. ET today and Rodgers will officially become a member of the #Jets.

The restructure pushed all but the minimum salary and a small workout bonus into 2024, so New York will need to rework it again. Green Bay will carry a roughly $40 million dead cap hit in 2023 and Rodgers will be off the books in 2024.

By reworking the deal this way, Green Bay saves $14.575M in 2023 cap space instead of getting a credit in 2024. For at least the next couple days, Rodgers is due $1.215 million in 2023 and $107.6 million in 2024. This will obviously change.

If this is true and GB took no money ... ****... Jets got worked hard... I mean, in the end .... I don't care... but damn JD caved bigtime.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 3

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

So GB did not pick up any of his future money?

Why would they do that? The trade you saw is the trade. This was about letting GB clear their books in ‘23. It’s on the Jets to restructure his money and the cap hit now.

You guys need to get off the “leverage” thing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

If this is true and GB took no money ... ****... Jets got worked hard... I mean, in the end .... I don't care... but damn JD caved bigtime.

You must be feeling awfully embarrassed at how wrong you were, no? We kept telling you, and yet… here we are.
You should go back and neg rep every one of your posts the past few days… ah the irony! ?????

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Why would they do that? The trade you saw is the trade. This was about letting GB clear their books in ‘23. It’s on the Jets to restructure his money and the cap hit now.

You guys need to get off the “leverage” thing. 

Everyone needs to stop playing capologist...everything I read regarding the cap in this place ends up being wrong. lmao

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

Unless I am not understanding what Brad Spielberger tweeted, why should they.  He's playing in '24 if he wants $100m

Rodgers is not taking any guaranteed money off the table.  Whatever was guaranteed before will still be now, wether the Jets offer more to make sure he comes back we'll see.  

But nothing has changed by way of Rodgers incentive to play in '24.

13 minutes ago, undertow said:

Everyone needs to stop playing capologist...everything I read regarding the cap in this place ends up being wrong. lmao

It’s because they see everything through a prism of “JD da gawd gonna work dat fool”.

Don’t even get me started on the guys posting their draft mocks and talking about “watching film on the guy….”

Do that sh*t in the draft forum, don’t bore me with it here… you’re not that smart, and I don’t care how you rate that safety from Idaho State.

Just now, Green Ghost said:

It’s because they see everything through a prism of “JD da gawd gonna work dat fool”.

When I read most of that stuff here I picture a bunch of 19yo’s in their parents basement  typing on their phones in their Jets pajamas.

I think it's because these books are extremely complicated and people think they are much smarter than they actually are.....they think they can figure it out by reading a contract and looking at some salary cap website.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, C Mart said:

He's playing in '24

Jason_OTC @Jason_OTC

I don't read this the way any here are reading into it (otherwise everyone's missed the entirety of the cap benefit, which isn't merely incentive for a 2nd season he wasn't walking away from under the old structure either, but rather a basically free 2023 season):

The presumption seems to now be that Rodgers won't have any lump payments until 2024. Rather, at least as of today, it's nothing more than a temporary way GB is doing a paper-only restructure just for their own cap/trade reasons. It'll be undone as soon as he signs something new with the Jets.

When the Jets do his restructure, it's not necessarily going to carry over that he'll only have a $1MM veteran minimum salary charge this year, followed by a $58MM bonus next year (in addition to next year's similar minimum salary).

More likely the Jets will restructure him to convert that same $58MM (or a big/majority chunk of it) as option/signing bonus this year, plus however much more than that for 2024 and beyond. It won't be a roster bonus because they won't be able to restructure him to lower it until the same date in 2024, wiping out $60MM of cap space until about May, when the best FAs will have already found new homes.

However...

If this is ends up the way it's going to be structured, then it means a free (~$1MM salary-only) year for 2023, which would be a huge concession by Rodgers -- effectively divide the ~$110MM he was previously due for 2 seasons ('23-24) instead into payment for 3 seasons ('23-25). This would make it $36MM/year for 3 years - or $30MM/year for 2 years, or $1MM for 1 year - and not $55MM/year for 2 years as it was previously structured.

But...

I'll believe this when I see it made official, and not a moment before.

• Upvote 2