The Athletic 'Final Mock'

Dcat

I think they are trying to be funny here.  Or trying to irritate Jets fans.  They have us getting sniped by both Green Bay and then Belichick for what are probably in the Jets top 3.

13. Green Bay Packers (from NYJ): Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

The Packers jumped the Patriots with a Round 1 pick swap being part of the trade that sent Aaron Rodgers to the Jets in hopes of snagging Smith-Njigba before Bill Belichick. Then the Texans foiled that plan by turning in their draft card at No. 12 with the Ohio State receiver’s name on it, so Green Bay settles for another former Buckeyes star. In drafting Johnson, the Packers don’t fill an immediate need, but they secure their left tackle of the future. Keeping new starting quarterback Jordan Love upright is paramount, and five-time All-Pro left tackle David Bakhtiari might be in his last season with the Packers because cutting him next offseason would free up $21.5 million in cap space. General manager Brian Gutekunst hopes Johnson is for Love what Bakhtiari was for Rodgers. — Matt Schneidman

14. New England Patriots: Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia

The Patriots’ worst-case scenario nearly came to fruition with no trade partner to move back, the top two cornerbacks off the board and nearly the top three offensive linemen gone (thank you, Texans, for choosing Smith-Njigba instead of an offensive lineman to protect Stroud). Instead, Jones fell to the Pats. Jones has so many of the traits teams want in a modern offensive tackle, but there’s one concern: He played in only 19 collegiate games, the least of any lineman in the class. But the Pats badly need an offensive tackle of the future, and they get one in Jones, who is only 21 and should have a lengthy career in front of him. — Chad Graff

15. New York Jets (from GB): Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

This wound up being close to a worst-case scenario at No. 15. All three top offensive tackles were picked, plus other potential targets such as Smith-Njigba. There were no takers for a trade back — which is understandable because all the top QBs had already been taken, too. So I settled for the next best offensive tackle prospect, addressing arguably the biggest need the Jets have right now.

The Jets are locked in at left tackle (Duane Brown), left guard (Laken Tomlinson) and right guard (Alijah Vera-Tucker), with Connor McGovern likely starting again at center. That leaves right tackle, which is Wright’s best position and a spot he’s suited to play right away. He’ll get pushed by Mekhi Becton and Max Mitchell in training camp, but the Jets aren’t drafting someone at No. 15 — in a year when they’re all-in with Aaron Rodgers — unless they plan to play him as a rookie. I also considered Calijah KanceyJordan AddisonLukas Van NessBrian Branch and Dalton Kincaid at this spot. — Zack Rosenblatt

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I think they are trying to be funny here.  Or trying to irritate Jets fans.  They have us getting sniped by both Green Bay and then Belichick for what are probably in the Jets top 3.

13. Green Bay Packers (from NYJ): Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

The Packers jumped the Patriots with a Round 1 pick swap being part of the trade that sent Aaron Rodgers to the Jets in hopes of snagging Smith-Njigba before Bill Belichick. Then the Texans foiled that plan by turning in their draft card at No. 12 with the Ohio State receiver’s name on it, so Green Bay settles for another former Buckeyes star. In drafting Johnson, the Packers don’t fill an immediate need, but they secure their left tackle of the future. Keeping new starting quarterback Jordan Love upright is paramount, and five-time All-Pro left tackle David Bakhtiari might be in his last season with the Packers because cutting him next offseason would free up $21.5 million in cap space. General manager Brian Gutekunst hopes Johnson is for Love what Bakhtiari was for Rodgers. — Matt Schneidman

14. New England Patriots: Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia

The Patriots’ worst-case scenario nearly came to fruition with no trade partner to move back, the top two cornerbacks off the board and nearly the top three offensive linemen gone (thank you, Texans, for choosing Smith-Njigba instead of an offensive lineman to protect Stroud). Instead, Jones fell to the Pats. Jones has so many of the traits teams want in a modern offensive tackle, but there’s one concern: He played in only 19 collegiate games, the least of any lineman in the class. But the Pats badly need an offensive tackle of the future, and they get one in Jones, who is only 21 and should have a lengthy career in front of him. — Chad Graff

15. New York Jets (from GB): Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

This wound up being close to a worst-case scenario at No. 15. All three top offensive tackles were picked, plus other potential targets such as Smith-Njigba. There were no takers for a trade back — which is understandable because all the top QBs had already been taken, too. So I settled for the next best offensive tackle prospect, addressing arguably the biggest need the Jets have right now.

The Jets are locked in at left tackle (Duane Brown), left guard (Laken Tomlinson) and right guard (Alijah Vera-Tucker), with Connor McGovern likely starting again at center. That leaves right tackle, which is Wright’s best position and a spot he’s suited to play right away. He’ll get pushed by Mekhi Becton and Max Mitchell in training camp, but the Jets aren’t drafting someone at No. 15 — in a year when they’re all-in with Aaron Rodgers — unless they plan to play him as a rookie. I also considered Calijah KanceyJordan AddisonLukas Van NessBrian Branch and Dalton Kincaid at this spot. — Zack Rosenblatt

I think wink wink Jets know the Packers aren't looking to take a Tackle.

I genuinely believe the Packers are actually going to trump the Pats in taking the best available WR on the board.  

Will that then force the Pats to take an OT .... maybe .. so it can certainly backfire unless the Jets have their eyes on my man Darnell Wright and the Pats don't.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

There is a boatload of ridiculous in their full rd 1 final mock.  I just thought this one was intentional.

They always do that. I firmly believe a lot of mock drafts from these guys intentionally try to set the Jets up as having the worst scenario. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Jones or Wright seem like the obvious choices, which is why I think we won’t take either one 

With Browns age and Bectons availability issues, I could see why they might pick a tackle.  But then throw in Mitchell, Obablahblah, and AVT and those are 3 workable back ups.   Would they roster 5 OT? Could they release Brown to free up cap?  Who sits if they play a rookie?

I see starter holes at DT and safety, possibly LB.   Maybe  WR to make Rodgers uber happy but we have 4 solid players there as well.

If he can trade back and get more picks I think he takes an O lineman to develop in the second or third rd.  And a DT before that.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

This may be helpful to avoid this situation…. What would the price be to move from 15 —> 12?

If the Jets werent potentially on the hook for a 1st for Rodgers, Id say **** it and call the Texans about #2 overall and just go take Will Anderson and go win a Super Bowl.  lol

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It's no troll move, it is a legit scenario.  New England was always going to be in play for an OT.  If value is there for the packers they could easily take an ot as well.

This pick swap was not some minor issue, it will have consequences.

Sure will. It's annoying as f--- but not as bad as the 65% clause.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I think wink wink Jets know the Packers aren't looking to take a Tackle.

I genuinely believe the Packers are actually going to trump the Pats in taking the best available WR on the board.  

Will that then force the Pats to take an OT .... maybe .. so it can certainly backfire unless the Jets have their eyes on my man Darnell Wright and the Pats don't.

I wonder if Green Bay is going TE. Michael Meyer feels like a Packer.

29 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I think the Jets either go JMS or TE at 15 now, unless Paris Johnson is there. I think JMS is the best OL not named Skoronski.

This site loves JMS so much. I get we all would appreciate an upgrade at center but he’s a 24 year old average athlete who struggled in pass protection last year and most have ranked as a late second round prospect.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Neilos said:

SOJ but trading down makes sense. We have so few picks at the mo. But who wants to trade up? Gonna be interesting to see where qbs go as that will shape the draft imho.

Someone people never dream of always falls down the draft, just a matter if the guy makes it to 15 before someone wants to trade up.

This is going to be a fun draft, other than pick #1 no one has a clue what is going to happen with many of these selections.

1 hour ago, slats said:

I continue to not be convinced by this fixation on an OT in the first round around here. A first round tackle could easily wind up being a reserve on this team. Center and safety are the two positions where I could see the Jets drafting an immediate starter, and the 15th pick is early for either of them. It’s a good trade down draft, if Douglas can find a partner. 

I could definitely see a trade down.  We have no 3rd rounder this year and, if we plan on being a playoff team, then our first pick in next year's draft will be toward the bottom of round 2 (and our second pick next year will be toward the bottom of round 3).

2 hours ago, JiF said:

How ******* funny would it be if the Packers trade Rodgers and then for the first time since Sterling Sharpe, the Packers take a WR in the first round.

Omg - I hope they do, it's like extra extra shove it their face motivation for Rodgers. 

B2Q2.gif.4f6bb938f32fdc7f5d7274953879b0ae.gif