Mid-round pass rushing prospects

Since I've done almost zero research on draft prospects with 1 day left till draft day, I decided to take a look at the area of the field most linked with athleticism:  Pass-rushing.

Since we're very unlikely to take a pass-rusher in the 1st (and rightfully so), and based on a combo of RAS score + production, these are some guys that jumped out at me to look at in the mid rounds based purely on what I'm seeing on paper:

FrxdBChWcAETeYk.jpg:large

• Drafttek Rank:  # 59
  • Sporting News Rank:  # 67
  • 2022 stats:  7.5 Sacks, 14.0 TFLs

Rationale:  In case negotiations with QW go south, and/or we decide to move him, this would be a way to hedge our bets a bit.  Even if QW sticks around, this could be a fantastic, high upside pairing with the 2 of them.  Ideally this would be a prospect we could take in the 3rd round but I'm guessing he won't be there?

FqP0ADzX0AITUV8.jpg:large

• Drafttek Rank:  # 87
  • Sporting News Rank:  # 163
  • 2022 stats:  9.0 Sacks, 14.0 TFLs

Rationale:  Wide range of outcomes EDGE guy, it would seem.  Perfect Rd 3/4 selection IMO.

FsJMvRjX0AcITYl.jpg:large

• Drafttek Rank:  # 112
  • Sporting News Rank:  # 103
  • 2022 stats:  6.0 Sacks, 3 FFs, 11.5 TFLs

Rationale:  Pretty solid 3-cone for a guy his size.  Another Rd 4 ish prospect.

FtbkYa9XsAAS6CB.jpg:large

• Drafttek Rank:  # 154
  • Sporting News Rank:  # 195
  • 2022 stats:  7.0 Sacks, 3 FFs, 9.5 TFLs

Rationale:  A 3-4 EDGE guy that we could hopefully utilize in the 4-3.  In 2021 he recorded 11.0 Sacks; looks like he missed some time his senior year?  Maybe available in that Rd 4/5 range?

FtRQtWsXgAE_1Mw.jpg:large

• Drafttek Rank:  # 264
  • Sporting News Rank:  # 129
  • 2022 stats:  9.5 Sacks, 4 FFs, 14.5 TFLs

Rationale:  Looking at his production AND scores I have to wonder why Abdullah isn't higher on mock boards?  Another 3-4 OLB that would need to be converted to put his hand in a dirt but I imagine that wouldn't be a big deal.  Grab him in Rd 5 if he's there and don't look back!

Of these four I'd say Diaby is my favorite.  Watched a ton of him and Yasir Abdullah who is undersized and could go on day 3 but had a huge impact in college.

Durrell Johnson out of Liberty is another developmental guy worth keeping an eye on.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Of these four I'd say Diaby is my favorite.  Watched a ton of him and Yasir Abdullah who is undersized and could go on day 3 but had a huge impact in college.

Durrell Johnson out of Liberty is another developmental guy worth keeping an eye on.

Ah yes, Abdullah was another one i noticed but neglected to include:

FtRQtWsXgAE_1Mw.jpg:large

Keion White is going late 1st/early 2nd, so he won't be a realistic option for us in the mid rounds.

Some Day 2/3 guys I like

Mike Morris

Felix Anudike-Uzomah

Isaiah Foskey

KJ Henry

Zach Harrison

Andre Carter II

Ali Gaye

DJ Johnson

• Upvote 1

I'll be okay taking a pass rusher mid to late rounds becasue the value is there.  I'll be pretty upset if we use a pick top two rounds.  In reality imo we have bigger needs for other positions and unless we trade down for more picks I would rather skip edge.

S and LB are still needs imo, bigger than rush end,  and of course oline (OT and or C) and now perhaps RB.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'll be okay taking a pass rusher mid to late rounds becasue the value is there.  I'll be pretty upset if we use a pick top two rounds.  In reality imo we have bigger needs for other positions and unless we trade down for more picks I would rather skip edge.

S and LB are still needs imo, bigger than rush end,  and of course oline (OT and or C) and now perhaps RB.

Yep, 3rd/4th round would be the sweet spot for me.  Hopefully get someone more productive than Jabari Zuniga was, lol.