Question about UDFAs

20 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Since we (at the moment) don't have any 6th or 7th round picks, can that $ (for 2023) be used towards UDFA signing bonuses since those salary slots won't be filled?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

You would think so…. right? Doesn’t each team get a fixed amount to sign players as long as they stay under the Cap? With 5 picks, a good amount of Cap flexibility & Aaron Rodgers, I hope JD can coax several highly regarded UDFA to come to NY. And with no picks after #170, they can start working the phones early!

That amount is an estimate of how much it will cost to sign our draft picks based on our current picks. If we make trades, it’ll change. But that amount doesnt assume udfa.

We can sign UDFA but all of it needs to fit under the salary cap. We have space though.

I think we will upgrade the team in three more waves:

1) draft

2) udfa

3) mini post draft veteran free agent. This is going to be key. There are still veterans available that can help us win

• Upvote 2

I don’t think we’ll have any trouble signing all of the UDFAs that are willing to sign here. With no picks in those last two rounds, the Jets will be working the phones and setting up potential signees. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

I don’t think we’ll have any trouble signing all of the UDFAs that are willing to sign here. With no picks in those last two rounds, the Jets will be working the phones and setting up potential signees. 

I wasn't sure if there is a fixed pool of $ for UDFAs or if you just need to fit them under the cap and can use unallocated draft pick $ towards them.

6 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I wasn't sure if there is a fixed pool of $ for UDFAs or if you just need to fit them under the cap and can use unallocated draft pick $ towards them.

What is the NFL's Top-51 rule? From the start of a new NFL league year in early March until the first week of the regular season in September, only the 51 most expensive contracts count against a team's salary cap. It is designed to accommodate a 53-man regular season roster rather than a 90-man offseason roster.Mar 7, 2023

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

You would think so…. right? Doesn’t each team get a fixed amount to sign players as long as they stay under the Cap? With 5 picks, a good amount of Cap flexibility & Aaron Rodgers, I hope JD can coax several highly regarded UDFA to come to NY. And with no picks after #170, they can start working the phones early!

Udfa $ is money allocated like any other ufa. Drafted players under the cba are under a rookie salary pool that is based on where you were picked

Udfa sometimes get big bonuses higher than a 6th or 7th rd pick as an example 

• Upvote 2