Grade the selection of the jets 1st round pick Will McDonald

Grade the jets 1st round pick Will McDonald   

199 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the jets 1st round pick Will McDonald

D

Let better players or at least more impactful sit on the board.  Actual weapons.

In a deep edge draft reached for a purely rotational guy when they trade up to get a guy last year.

The prospect himself has some nice measureables but some suspect ones as well.  4.7 for a 235 pound edge guy is bad.

He is light and not good vs the run he is older, his sack totals went down a lot this past year.

He will not get sufficient playing time in this system to justify the pick.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Picking 15 in the draft where you just signed Rogers and your strength of your team is defense, and you pick my 27th ranked player is not a positive response from me. Is McDonald a good player and a first round talent. Yes he is. But to not improve your offense with a top rated wideout, TE or getting the number 1 center  is just dumb. If you were to go defense go safety or even CB. But offense you needed to improve. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

D

Let better players or at least more impactful sit on the board.  Actual weapons.

In a deep edge draft reached for a purely rotational guy when they trade up to get a guy last year.

The prospect himself has some nice measureables but some suspect ones as well.  4.7 for a 235 pound edge guy is bad.

He is light and not good vs the run he is older, his sack totals went down a lot this past year.

He will not get sufficient playing time in this system to justify the pick.

His sack totals this past year aren’t very meaningful because he will basically be playing a different position in the pros. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

His sack totals this past year aren’t very meaningful because he will basically be playing a different position in the pros. 

Oh?  So we draft a guy who is supposed to be a pass rusher that didn't rush the passer last year?  He had two good years in a row sack totals and then it dipped badly.

This is the 15h pick in the draft we are talking about in a draft we have few picks.  Sounds like a hope and wish pick at a position of not huge need and in a draft with a lot of edge guys.

Oh well I'll look forward to his 15 sacks next year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh?  So we draft a guy who is supposed to be a pass rusher that didn't rush the passer last year?  He had two good years in a row sack totals and then it dipped badly.

This is the 15h pick in the draft we are talking about in a draft we have few picks.  Sounds like a hope and wish pick at a position of not huge need and in a draft with a lot of edge guys.

Oh well I'll look forward to his 15 sacks next year.

I’m just pointing out that college sack totals aren’t a great way to project success as an NFL pass rusher. There are a lot of examples of this. 

• Upvote 2

Maybe I’m just still haunted by flashbacks of 232 lb Darron Lee getting pancaked Oakland

McD is basically the same size as Lee after a spaghetti dinner

Huff at 255 lbs isn’t even big enough to stay on the field on all 3 downs

Hard to understand what JD and Saleh were thinking here 

I think they panicked

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I gave this pick a C.

I didn’t want to go defense. But I could see the argument for drafting a defensive player if someone dropped and they represented huge value.

If not a dropper, the idea of getting the draft’s best safety, or middle LB, or deciding to build out the most ridiculous secondary with yet another CB would’ve made more sense to me.  We also have a glaring hole at DT that I could see a guy like Mazi Smith, or Brian Bresee filling.

I feel like #15 is too high to be drafting a player that nobody else was talking about in that range.  Are we really that much smarter than the rest of the league?

• Upvote 4