This is the guy everyone wanted us to draft

1 hour ago, JETS SB said:

Jaxon Smith-Njigba played 3 seasons in college, though only played 3 games last season due to a hamstring injury with no TDs 

College Career Stats 

3 years - 23 Games Played in 2020/2021/2022

110 Receptions (mostly in 2021)

1,698 yards (mostly in 2021)

10 TDs (mostly in 2021) 

40 yd dash time - 4.53 (some scouts had it at 4.48-4.52) - Below average for a WR - Garrett Wilson 4.38

NFL.com Production Score
2023 Combine WR Rank: 19th
Athleticism Score *est
2023 Combine WR Rank: 37th

He had a huge finish to the end of the 2021 season, once Wilson and Olave opted out. But the major concerns with him are, lack of speed and quickness off the line of scrimmage, as a slot receiver. 

This guy was widely regarded from NFL insiders as the most overrated WR in the NFL draft this season. Maybe he improves, playing with DK Metcalf in Seattle. Because he played at Ohio State, he was obviously seen a lot more than the other WRs in the draft, and both Wilson and Olave spoke highly of him. But the numbers just don't add up to being a #1 WR. 

There are many WRs left in this draft, that would fit in to the Jets offense as a #3 or #4 WR.  Wilson is a definite 1. Lazard is an obvious 2 for as long as Rodgers is here. We still have Davis. We signed Hardman as a slot and gadget player. And Mims is somewhere in the mix. Where were we playing this guy? Would he even be better than Mecole Hardman? It's not like he has ridiculous speed or quickness like Hardman does. He doesnt play special teams. You don't draft a WR in the 1st round as an insurance policy for Garrett Wilson. That's just dumb. Especially when you have other needs to fill. 

I don't like that we lost out on one of the top OTs. But we will hopefully get one of the tackles or centers in the 2nd round, and we will see what happens with Becton. It sucks, but those of you that are saying that the Rodgers trade caused us to miss out on Broderick Jones, are just misguided. Pittsburgh wanted an OT. They could have done the same thing to us and traded up to 12 and taken him, if we still had 13. 

Just do me a favor and look at the film on Will McDonald. This guy is special. Not someone you can find in the 2nd round. 

2022 was a special draft. We took all of the sexy picks and it was epic. This draft was never going to measure up with 2022 and considering we added Aaron Rodgers to our offense, I think we are still in pretty good shape, improving our defense even more with our 1st pick. 

JSN is just NOT the talent that everyone is making him out to be. At least he didn't show it in college, other than a short period of time at the end of 2021 with a monster game against Utah in the Rose Bowl, after Wilson and Olave opted out. 

Small slot WR’s can be found any where no thanks.

• Upvote 2

100%.  Been saying it all offseason.  I wouldnt take JSN in the first round.  Niche player, niche role, not enough evidence he can do it again and he doesnt do the things that WR's do that go in the 1st round.  I think there are handful of dudes left that can do what JSN does if they're keen on going WR.