Reading the (Green) Tea Leaves …

1.  Sure.  $110 buys a lot of ayahuasca.

4.  This is overblown.  With Bijan and the other RB going, the Patriots had a few players to address their needs available.  99 of 100 GMs would gladly pick up the extra pick and only move down three places.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The Jets will follow through on their pre-draft plan to exercise Becton’s 5th year.  Could have gone a different way if someone fell to them … not exercising pre-draft allowed them to hide their true draft intentions

Agreed. No starting OT in this year’s Draft likely makes the 5th a smart play in ‘25. Draft OT today and next year and give the player a year or two  to prepare for starting LT in ‘25 or ‘26.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

We wanted to upgrade WR with a veteran talent like OBJ. The Ravens are no longer in the Hopkins market. I think trading a 4th for Hopkins is the best thing we can do. I would add another day 3 pick next year as well.

I’ll keep banging the Hopkins drum until he is traded.

I agree 100% with the Bolded part, if we can make that move, this again, would be an A+ draft...

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure on #10.  Unless significant pay cut/restructure, I could see JD parting ways with Lawson this year vs. waiting for a comp pick.  Board falls right today/tomorrow I could also see the same with Whitehead.  I think they are higher on Tony Adams than we realize too...

• Upvote 1

Where do you get Clark taking Kwon's role from?  They labelled the guy as LB which is more than I would have expected.  I honestly think they have an offer out to Kwon, like they did with McGovern.  They didn't pick up another safety, so presumably Clark will spend time on the field in the Joyner role and will be more interchangeable with Whitehead.  Not taking a tackle has little to do with exercising Becton's option too.  If they think he will be healthy I can see it, otherwise it is madness.  Whether they drafted a T or not.  I don't want a 2nd round C either.  You see a guy that is a killer, fine, but I would probably prefer Torrence or Mauchto any of the C.  When a draft is deep at a position it generally means to wait, but I assume the team has guys they want and will target them - there are good TEs available later like Musgrave or LaPorta and corners like Porter, Tomlinson, Brents, etc.  depending on round.  There are a few solid centers.  Unless they are in love it makes sense to wait.

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. Rodgers is just as likely if not more to stay for 3 years compared to 2.  He’ll bank his $110M from The GB contract and the Jets will avoid the dead cap albatross that some worried about 

2. Rodgers might not be the diva some thought he was.  Jets went defense when all signs pointed to offense

3. The Jets were not enamored with OT Jones, fully aware they could lose out by allowing the Pats to leapfrog them with Pittsburg rumored to be looking to trade up

4. So odd that Bill B still has so much hatred for the Jets …

5. The Jets will follow through on their pre-draft plan to exercise Becton’s 5th year.  Could have gone a different way if someone fell to them … not exercising pre-draft allowed them to hide their true draft intentions

6. For practical purposes, AVT is one of their top 4 OTs.  My guess is #3 or #4 (not top 2)

7. Meaning the Jets will need to build a strong interior.  I strongly believe it’s Center in round 2.  McGovern is competition, depth, contingency for Tomlinson and a draft smokescreen all rolled into 1

8. Positionally, JFM will move inside full time and Chuck Clark will take Alexander’s role

9. The Jets like the WR value elsewhere in the draft.  Keep an eye on the local Princeton WR who the Jets checked out more closely than others 

10. Joe D is already playing the compensatory pick game ahead of 2024.  The Jets drafted Lawson’s replacement a year early and continue to hold onto Whitehead and Davis, who will both exit and count towards next year’s formula

What are you guys seeing?

1.  No he is not staying or year 3 and beyond, thee has been not one real indicator that he will

2.  He is still a bit of a diva, but right now in a new situation he is saying and doing all the right things.  Going edge was stupid.

3.  Wow, sour grapes or what?  Not one shred of evidence that the jets did not like jones.

4. Not odd at all, he does not like the jets and more important we are a div rival.

5.  Probably correct, i am not sure at all they would have if they took a LT.  No matter what if they are actually counting on becton as a starter this year they are really really stupid.

6.  He will be playing tackle before the end of the year imo, we failed to get a day one starting tackle, becton and duane brown are one banana peel away from not playing.

7.  Agreed, we will add a center and or G/C

8. The fans have been saying move jfm inside for 2 years now the jets don't seem to want to do it.  Clark is not going to replace kwon alexander.

9. They probably will draft a guy at some point, but they passed on the very best guys who were there, which was a mistake imo.  I would have rather taken the best wr on their board and then looked for anothet edge lower down, there are a fair number of edge guys worth looking at throughout the draft.

10. This i agree with we are seeing a bit of a shift in draft and fa philosophy now that we have some talent.

As much as I wish it weren't the case, the Jets wanted Jones pretty badly. 

Problem was that Joe was between a rock and a hard place. He didn't want to mortgage further picks to trade up like he has in years past, felt like one of them was going to fall, and hoped the Pats wouldn't take/trade down if there was only 1 guy left

I don't think the grade is the issue with WMD. They had him ranked high in a weak class. It's a matter of resource allocation, and they really wanted to add a premier asset at tackle. Back to the drawing board

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, football guy said:

As much as I wish it weren't the case, the Jets wanted Jones pretty badly. 

Problem was that Joe was between a rock and a hard place. He didn't want to mortgage further picks to trade up like he has in years past, felt like one of them was going to fall, and hoped the Pats wouldn't take/trade down if there was only 1 guy left

I don't think the grade is the issue with WMD. They had him ranked high in a weak class. It's a matter of resource allocation, and they really wanted to add a premier asset at tackle. Back to the drawing board

If wright had been there at 15 would they have taken him?  Plus you would assume douglas was aware of the rumors of pittsburgh wanting to trade up so that could not have been such a surprise. 

49 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If wright had been there at 15 would they have taken him?  Plus you would assume douglas was aware of the rumors of pittsburgh wanting to trade up so that could not have been such a surprise. 

They had a first-round grade on him but the character/weight questions that came out left me feeling like he would be 4th among the OL on their board. Gun to my head yes they would've taken him with the hope that Becton can serve as an example what not to be (at least first 3 years) and Brown/locker room can guide him what to be. 

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

They had a first-round grade on him but the character/weight questions that came out left me feeling like he would be 4th among the OL on their board. Gun to my head yes they would've taken him with the hope that Becton can serve as an example what not to be (at least first 3 years) and Brown/locker room can guide him what to be. 

Is there really that much of a drop off between, say, wright and a tackle they can get tonight?  Wright seems heavy footed and slow. 

1 hour ago, Jetfuel66 said:

Im expecting the Jets to seriously consider a TE with the 4th. I think they will look to trade Conklin or Uzoma

Best interior O line in the 2nd.

What are we doing at DT? Poona Ford?

They butchered Uzomah's contract. I don't think he's tradeable.  Conklin too.  Lots of dead cap for either of them if traded. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

8. The fans have been saying move jfm inside for 2 years now the jets don't seem to want to do it.  Clark is not going to replace kwon alexander.

As to Kwon Alexander, he is still a free agent. I think the chances are high that the Jets bring him back.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

1.  No he is not staying or year 3 and beyond, thee has been not one real indicator that he will

2.  He is still a bit of a diva, but right now in a new situation he is saying and doing all the right things.  Going edge was stupid.

3.  Wow, sour grapes or what?  Not one shred of evidence that the jets did not like jones.

4. Not odd at all, he does not like the jets and more important we are a div rival.

5.  Probably correct, i am not sure at all they would have if they took a LT.  No matter what if they are actually counting on becton as a starter this year they are really really stupid.

6.  He will be playing tackle before the end of the year imo, we failed to get a day one starting tackle, becton and duane brown are one banana peel away from not playing.

7.  Agreed, we will add a center and or G/C

9. They probably will draft a guy at some point, but they passed on the very best guys who were there, which was a mistake imo.  I would have rather taken the best wr on their board and then looked for anothet edge lower down, there are a fair number of edge guys worth looking at throughout the draft.

10. This i agree with we are seeing a bit of a shift in draft and fa philosophy now that we have some talent.

Your reading tea leaves score just came back …

D-

8 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. Rodgers is just as likely if not more to stay for 3 years compared to 2.  He’ll bank his $110M from The GB contract and the Jets will avoid the dead cap albatross that some worried about 

2. Rodgers might not be the diva some thought he was.  Jets went defense when all signs pointed to offense

3. The Jets were not enamored with OT Jones, fully aware they could lose out by allowing the Pats to leapfrog them with Pittsburg rumored to be looking to trade up

4. So odd that Bill B still has so much hatred for the Jets …

5. The Jets will follow through on their pre-draft plan to exercise Becton’s 5th year.  Could have gone a different way if someone fell to them … not exercising pre-draft allowed them to hide their true draft intentions

6. For practical purposes, AVT is one of their top 4 OTs.  My guess is #3 or #4 (not top 2)

7. Meaning the Jets will need to build a strong interior.  I strongly believe it’s Center in round 2.  McGovern is competition, depth, contingency for Tomlinson and a draft smokescreen all rolled into 1

8. Positionally, JFM will move inside full time and Chuck Clark will take Alexander’s role

9. The Jets like the WR value elsewhere in the draft.  Keep an eye on the local Princeton WR who the Jets checked out more closely than others 

10. Joe D is already playing the compensatory pick game ahead of 2024.  The Jets drafted Lawson’s replacement a year early and continue to hold onto Whitehead and Davis, who will both exit and count towards next year’s formula

What are you guys seeing?

#7 has been validated.

Any more tea leaves gents?