### The Official Day Two Draft Day Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Miss the old format so much. The second day was wild, picks coming in fast and furious 

Me too. I used to love just sitting there and watching them all roll in. It was a Saturday/Sunday right? 

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

We have to trade back a couple spots and gather another pick. We only have one day 2 pick. 

I think Douglas showed last year that he values quality over quantity.

The Jets are no longer in a position where they have poop starters and zero depth where they need to stockpile a bunch of late rounders.

There’s a good chance we could get a plug and play starter at #43 at a few different positions of need.

Schwartz/Tippmann at center, Branch at safety, Henley/Sanders/Simpson at LB or grab your OT insurance with a guy like Mauch or Bergeron.

I’d stick and pick if I’m Douglas.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Here's my board / wish list for the Jets - QB and Edge are the only 2 positions I'm taking off the board and I'm going to slightly favor offense  (any of the Top 8 in bold green would make me extremely happy)

1. Steve Avila OL TCU  << Mauler who can play Center / Team Captain - IMHO the perfect pick for us at 43 - fingers crossed, could be gone early
  2. John Michael Schmitz OL Minnesota <<< Best Pure Center Left, like him a lot
  3. Joe Tippman OL Wisconsin <<< Another true center with nice upside - seems like another obvious target for us
    ^^^^^ doubt all 3 of these will be gone ^^^^^
  4. O'Cyrus Torrence OL Florida  <<< Another big mauler, a pure guard, sorta of a badass.  Would love to have him
  5. Jalin Hyatt WR Tennessee  <<< Fast, Athletic WR who might not be a great WR - but he's a dynamic playmaker and worth a risk
  6. Joey Porter Jr CB Penn State  << Probably the #1 player left on the board, but do we need a CB? Might be the 1st pick in Rd 2
  7. Josh Downs WR North Carolina  <<< Smallish, but talented, seems like a great scheme fit for us
  8. Brian Branch DB Alabama  << Scheme Diverse and a playmaker, sort of a Lamarcus Joyner clone I downgrade him a bit for positional need
  9. Cody Mauch OT ND State <<< Talented OL with upside who projects as a guard
  10. Cedric Tillman WR Tennessee  <<< Bigger less athletic than Hyatt, but an NFL built WR
  11. Matthew Bergeron OT Syracuse  <<< Projects as a Guard, but I really like him overall
  12. Michael Mayer TE Notre Dame << Productive but I don't think he's better than what we have now......
  13. Dawand Jones OT Ohio St  <<< Giant Right Tackle with Upside
  14. Jonathan Mingo WR  Ole Miss <<< Big and Fast, Not super productive, but the potential is there 
  15. Sam LaPorta TE Iowa  <<< Very diverse opinions on him, lots of love/hate....I like his longterm potential as a Top 50 draft pick
  16. Tyler Scott WR Cincinnati  <<< See Josh Downs
  17. Luke Wypler OL Ohio State  <<< Mid-2nd round might be too high for him but he can play
  18. Devon Achane RB TAMU  <<< Playmaker but RB is not a high priority for us right now - If Jahmyr Gibbs is a 1st rounder, Achane is a 2nd rounder
  19. Daiyan Henley LB Washington State  <<< If we had not gone defense in Round 1, he'd be higher on my board
  20. Keeanu Benton  DT Wisconsin  <<< Player I really like but doubt we go DL 1-2 (good player though
  • Upvote 3

the bringing back of McGovern 2 days before the draft feels to me like they aren't going center at 43

rookie center with Aaron Rodgers might not be a great idea by the way. Unless he's like a Nick Mangold type of prospect, which none of these guys really are, Rodgers doesn't have time to develop a rookie OC or rookie anything really 

today they probably go defense again I like Henley and Simpson at LB also they need a S and Brian Branch could be too good a value to pass up 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the bringing back of McGovern 2 days before the draft feels to me like they aren't going center at 43

rookie center with Aaron Rodgers might not be a great idea by the way. Unless he's like a Nick Mangold type of prospect, which none of these guys really are, Rodgers doesn't have time to develop a rookie OC or rookie anything really 

today they probably go defense again I like Henley and Simpson at LB also they need a S and Brian Branch could be too good a value to pass up 

Like we talked about last night, I wouldn’t mind going back 7-8 spots and try to pick up a 3rd. I know it all depends on how the board falls but going 80 picks before we go again would be tough.Wonder if they would look to try to flip a current player for a pick or two.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Agree. I could see Tippmann just being the highest player on the board and that’d be fine. Tricky though because you’re either cutting Colon or carrying 6 iOL.

The OL option that makes the most sense to me is Bergeron/Mauch - see if we can have a LT next year on the cheap (not sure how they’ll fill it) and if not maybe replace Tomlinson (or McGovern if it’s Mauch) next year. Mauch seems like he’d be a fan favorite and Bergeron has a little LDT connection.

Very possible they go DT and the board spontaneously combusts. Feels like an underwhelming group of day two receivers. Tight end class is great but I think that’s a day three thing where you take advantage of the depth in the class, as we saw with Ruckert last year development there is a slow burn.

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

Like we talked about last night, I wouldn’t mind going back 7-8 spots and try to pick up a 3rd. I know it all depends on how the board falls but going 80 picks before we go again would be tough.Wonder if they would look to try to flip a current player for a pick or two.

I don’t think you’re picking up a 3rd by moving back 7-8 spots unless it’s one of those late 3rd comp picks that might as well be a 4th.

I’d rather just stick and pick, honestly.

There’s a good chance we’re getting a plug and play starter at #43.

@HawkeyeJet brought it up earlier, but I’d love it if Branch is still there and we take him. He’s exactly what the doctor ordered on the backend of this defense. A dude who can play the deep 3rd and the nickel, isn’t afraid to come up and play the run and is known for being an excellent communicator who is rarely caught out of position.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Maybe, but they're paying him minimum wage so it's not like he's going to prevent them from upgrading with someone who has a little more nasty. 

Just now, Greenseed4 said:

Maybe, but they're paying him minimum wage so it's not like he's going to prevent them from upgrading with someone who has a little more nasty. 

Or they understood the draft may not result in a C being taken in the 2nd round.  While you assume they’re going OL tonight, it may not be center. 

4 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Fwiw Brandon thorn just released his best ol available on day 2 and none had a late first or early 2nd

He's got Avila as a mid 2, Jones Ohio St as a late 2, Bergeron as a late 2, jms as a late 2 and ocyrus as a late 2.

He has mauch and tippman as early 3s

• Post of the Week 2

8 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

This and part of the allure of CMG's contract is that it'll be very easy to trade if there's no room for him on the final roster. Someone would trade a day 3 pick for him if they lose an OL to injury in camp

A lot if value to be had at DB, OL and TE in round 2. Honestly, it feels like picking any position outside this sweet spot is reaching.

We have the 12th pick in this round, so here are my 12 guys - no order:

Michael Mayer

Luke Musgrave

Ocyrus Torrence

JMS

Joe Tippman

Steve Avila

Joey Porter

Brian Branch

Antonio Johnson 

Cody Mauch

Kelee Ringo

Cedric Tillman (my only exception to DB, OL and TE)

I’ve been rooting for Jets to draft Mayer who is still available but prob will not be there at 43. But maybe they feel adequate at the position. Last year Conklin was 58-552-3 and Uz 21-232-2. And that was with below average QBs. With Rodgers those numbers should be even better. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Fwiw Brandon thorn just released his best ol available on day 2 and none had a late first or early 2nd

He's got Avila as a mid 2, Jones Ohio St as a late 2, Bergeron as a late 2, jms as a late 2 and ocyrus as a late 2.

He has mauch and tippman as early 3s

If Day 1 showed us anything, where players are rated and where they will be drafted are not lining up this year. 

• Post of the Week 1

Not expecting a trade back I think we draft bpa and have an overall boring draft that hopefully results in a couple of contributors. Offensive line would be great, I'd be happy with db just hope no more defensive linemen. Side note it looks like ben Jones never signed with anyone so that could always be a possibility after the draft too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app