Jump to content

As of today, the 2023 Jets starting lineup - offense


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

QB- Rodgers

RB- Hall 

WR- Wilson/Davis/Lazard

TE- Ruckert

LT- Brown 

LG- Tomlinson

C- Tippman

RG- Vera Tucker

RT- Becton

I actually really like this starting unit outside of WR2.  If Garrett Wilson gets hurt, we are in deep sh!t.  Would have loved to have JSN in this wr core.

What do you guys think?

 

Assuming Becton gets out of camp, maybe, but odds are he won’t. If they Jets can field this starting OL day 1 it won’t last.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Teams that are serious about making a legitimate run at a Super Bowl.

If the Jets don't believe they ready for that - then why bend over to get Rodgers?

If they do - then what we have right now isn't close to being there beyond G. Wilson.

The bold in on the owner not the GM, IMHO.  I suspect JD on his own would have done elsewise.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

The bold in on the owner not the GM, IMHO.  I suspect JD on his own would have done elsewise.  

That may very well be the truth...

I mean if his hand was forced to make the Rodgers move and heavily over pay for him...Wouldn't you think he would then adapt his plan to co-ordinate with that forced move?

Otherwise, being half in and half out just seems spiteful.  Do you think that's what JD is doing?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Wow did you guys watch any games... Conklin seriously was the only person catching balls at times... Yes he has some bad drops and fumbles... Insanity around here

Agreed.  We got 80 receptions our of the TE position on 116 targets.  Almost 70% catch rate despite some of the worst QB play in the league.  Conklin had mot of those 80.  He was fine.  He may not bee Kelce or Kittle, but he gave us what we should have expected from the signing.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That may very well be the truth...

I mean if his hand was forced to make the Rodgers move and heavily over pay for him...Wouldn't you think he would then adapt his plan to co-ordinate with that forced move?

Otherwise, being half in and half out just seems spiteful.  Do you think that's what JD is doing?

Adapting to a plan you wanted not part of (guessing here) ain't all that easy when the draft fell the way it did.  I'm guessing he wanted no part of WR#1 and who the hell else was there for the O... and please don't even say TE.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why do you say that?  I think hes a waste of a draft pick if he cant beat out JAGS like conky and Uzomah.

 

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If Ruckert cant win the starting job over JAGS like conky and Uzomah, then Douglas missed huge w that pick.

Joe Douglas also brought them in. Soooo.....you hate the entire TE room, the starting QB, the new EDGE, the WR room beyond GW. ?

Are you sure you like our GM?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our cupboard of elite level players has been near empty for 12 or so years and now we want (in some cases) multiple elite players at every position.  LOL.

Not how the league works obviously, especially when you also consider what we have on D.

Just like Zach made everyone worse than they actually are, Rodgers is going to make everyone better than they are.

———————————-

Jets 2024 Offense

Elite:  QB, WR1, RB1 (after full recovery), RG

Average Starter:  LT, WR3, TE

Below Average:  LG, WR2? 

Cautiously Optimistic:  Center & RT

Depth:  Average


We have 3 picks left.  I see the glaring team weaknesses as..

1. FS competition for Adams.  We can’t let a weakness here spoil what could be a dominant secondary 

2. Another offensive ‘playmaker’, WR or RB

3. Run stuffing DT (Al Woods after the draft?)

4. LB depth (maybe to replace Mosley next year)

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

QB - Rodgers

RB- Carter

WR - Wilson, Lazard, Hardman Jr.

LT - Becton

LG - Tomlinson 

C - McGovern

RG - AVT

RT - Mitchell

This unit gives us the best opportunity to win. If McGovern's or Tomlinson's play is lacking then yank them out. We'll have Tippmann and Wes Schweitzer as the next guys up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have a way to go before before the season starts.  There will be some further addition and a few may surprise.  But that’s a damn good base.  I bet several of these guys will function better than you think with a good commander under center.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, freestater said:

 

Joe Douglas also brought them in. Soooo.....you hate the entire TE room, the starting QB, the new EDGE, the WR room beyond GW. ?

Are you sure you like our GM?

I love Ruckert.  I think he aill be the next george kittle.  Hence y I have him starting over those 2 JAGS.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Obviously OT is a boom or bust area. If everybody stays healthy, the OL could be dominant but Becton is a question mark until he isn’t. Outside of that, there’s really no hole on this offense. Maybe an upgrade over Corey Davis, who seems like he’s a lock to be here next year? RB2?

Conklin is going to go off with adequate QB play. It’s nice to have a roster that feels ready to go across the board. Unfortunately it makes the draft a little less interesting though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Teams that are serious about making a legitimate run at a Super Bowl.

If the Jets don't believe they ready for that - then why bend over to get Rodgers?

If they do - then what we have right now isn't close to being there beyond G. Wilson.

Chiefs won the Super Bowl with JuJu and Sky Moore as their WRs last year. GW, Lazard, Corey Davis, Hardman and Mims is more than enough weapons for Rodgers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

He should not be

Yeah, you're probably right as usual and most other teams are legitimately 5 players deep at tackle in case they see that position's starters and backups both getting injured.

But if it comes down to an elite RG and a real liability at a tackle spot, that's apparently preferable to starting a pretty good tackle with at least an ok to average RG. Because AVT just can't ever slide over even if/when it serves the greater good for a bit.

Good call, lmao.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Chiefs won the Super Bowl with JuJu and Sky Moore as their WRs last year. GW, Lazard, Corey Davis, Hardman and Mims is more than enough weapons for Rodgers

They have Pat Mahomes and an all world TE.  40 year old Rodgers isn't Pat Mahomes.

The Jets are a WR (Dhop can fill this role,) a legitimate starting T and possibly even a RB away from having a offense capable of making a deep run into the playoffs.

If you're content with being a solid team, building for long term sustainable success and not have any urgency while you have Rodgers.  Then the pick, while still a reach, wasn't terrible.

If you think the the Jets traded an awful lot for Rodgers and paying him an awful lot - and he's not getting any younger, then you must put together a win now team - and do everything in your power to build around Rodgers.  Which makes a reach for a luxury player kind of ridiculous.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, you're probably right as usual and most other teams are legitimately 5 players deep at tackle in case they see that position's starters and backups both getting injured.

But if it comes down to an elite RG and a real liability at a tackle spot, that's apparently preferable to starting a pretty good tackle with at least an ok to average RG. Because AVT just can't ever slide over even if/when it serves the greater good for a bit.

Good call, lmao.

AVT should be expected to be a top 3 G in the NFL this year (if not #1) 

You don't mess with that if there's an injury or two.  

Emergency, like what happened last year - sure.  

How'd it work out for AVT and the Jets last year?

Have someone else slide over if/when is serves the greater good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

They have Pat Mahomes and an all world TE.  40 year old Rodgers isn't Pat Mahomes.

The Jets are a WR (Dhop can fill this role,) a legitimate starting T and possibly even a RB away from having a offense capable of making a deep run into the playoffs.

If you're content with being a solid team, building for long term sustainable success and not have any urgency while you have Rodgers.  Then the pick, while still a reach, wasn't terrible.

If you think the the Jets traded an awful lot for Rodgers and paying him an awful lot - and he's not getting any younger, then you must put together a win now team - and do everything in your power to build around Rodgers.  Which makes a reach for a luxury player kind of ridiculous.

If they have a top 3 defense we don’t need a top offense. Just need it to be serviceable 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

If they have a top 3 defense we don’t need a top offense. Just need it to be serviceable 

If you want to get a WC and lose in the first round - you are correct.

If you want to win a Super Bowl - you need an explosive offense.  Jets are a number of players away from getting there - even if Rodgers reverts to his old form at age 40....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Chiefs won the Super Bowl with JuJu and Sky Moore as their WRs last year. GW, Lazard, Corey Davis, Hardman and Mims is more than enough weapons for Rodgers

Means absolutely nothing.  Aaron Rodgers isnt close to the player Pat Mahomes is.  Hackett isnt close to the offensive mind reid is.

We dont have a qb in his prime nor one of the greatest offensive minds in the history of the league.

We need players!!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

AVT should be expected to be a top 3 G in the NFL this year (if not #1) 

You don't mess with that if there's an injury or two.  

Emergency, like what happened last year - sure.  

How'd it work out for AVT and the Jets last year?

Have someone else slide over if/when is serves the greater good.

You're making an assumption of how the greater good is served, is all. 

He's depth because at some point the greater good is served kicking him out. 

No offense, but his injury in that is preposterous unless you can point to evidence of inherently greater risk of that same injury at RT vs RG. Coincidence isn't evidence; correlation isn't causation; you don't know if a worse injury would've occurred in the absence of that switch, before or after.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Teams that are serious about making a legitimate run at a Super Bowl.

As I have pointed out to you multiple times now without receiving a coherent response, this simply isn’t true. The vast majority of NFL teams, including most contenders, don’t have an elite WR2. 
 

there are arguably three teams in the sport with an elite WR duo - the dolphins, bengals, and eagles. 
 

there were only two teams last year with more than one 1,000 yard WR (bengals and dolphins). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

What team has so much depth at WR that if their #1 went down they wouldn’t be in trouble ? Besides Cincy and Philly maybe 

Notice how @FidelioJetcoveniently failed to answer this question with a list of actual NFL teams that exist? 

I’m not sure where this fallacy that all good NFL teams have multiple great WRs came from, but it’s pure nonsense.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Notice how @FidelioJetcoveniently failed to answer this question with a list of actual NFL teams that exist? 

I’m not sure where this fallacy that all good NFL teams have multiple great WRs came from, but it’s pure nonsense.

 

I did answer - this is now the 3rd time. - you  continuing to say I didn't doesn't make it true.

The way I see it there are 5 legitimate Super Bowl contenders right now...

  • Two of the three teams you listed to happen to be two of the 4 or 5 - legitimate Super Bowl contenders (Eagles and Bengals) They have multiple serious weapons (by your own acknowledgement)
  • KC has an all world TE and legitimate WR threats - and Mahomes is clearly ahead of anyone else at the position.
  • SF has McCaffery and Aiyuk (1,000 yard receiver) and Kittle
  • Buffalo being the other legit contender, another contender - continues to fall short - precisely because they don't have that 2nd big time weapon at WR. And simply can't keep up...

Lastly, Super Bowl champ from two years ago - had Brady and a whole suite of top tier weapons....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Wtf are you even talking about? He was a college tackle and guard and they converted him to full time guard, playing on different sides in each season I might add.

What nonsense.

Look, if you want to think it's a good idea to have your 1st round, top 3 G in football being a primary back up T.  Then fine.

I don't agree.  

Nastiness is never necessary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Look, if you want to think it's a good idea to have your 1st round, top 3 G in football being a primary back up T.  Then fine.

I don't agree.  

Nastiness is never necessary.

You should stop digging. 

After credibly starting multiple games at both tackle positions last year, AVT is quite obviously OT depth if needed. The idea that RT is a more injury prone position than LG, LT, and RG is as baseless as it is ridiculous.

When injuries pile up, if they pile up, you deviate from plan A. To do otherwise is to be stubborn to a fault.

Everyone hopes it’s unnecessary, just like every team carries backups or has players that can line up in multiple places.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I did answer - this is now the 3rd time. - you  continuing to say I didn't doesn't make it true.

The way I see it there are 5 legitimate Super Bowl contenders right now...

  • Two of the three teams you listed to happen to be two of the 4 or 5 - legitimate Super Bowl contenders (Eagles and Bengals) They have multiple serious weapons (by your own acknowledgement)
  • KC has an all world TE and legitimate WR threats - and Mahomes is clearly ahead of anyone else at the position.
  • SF has McCaffery and Aiyuk (1,000 yard receiver) and Kittle
  • Buffalo being the other legit contender, another contender - continues to fall short - precisely because they don't have that 2nd big time weapon at WR. And simply can't keep up...

Lastly, Super Bowl champ from two years ago - had Brady and a whole suite of top tier weapons....

In other words, beyond the three teams I listed, there are NONE that have an elite WR #2. Good. Glad that is settled.

now, the other big thing you are ignoring is the other side of the ball. While the jets are certainly not one of the three teams to have multiple elite WRs, they ARE one of the only teams to have two elite corners.

the argument for the Jets is that they have balance. They have a chance to have a very good defense, and for the first time since 2015, a very good offense. 
 

Having more than one Garret Wilson level WR would be wonderful, but it’s a luxury, not a necessity. That’s the point. 
 
as I have repeatedly pointed out, MOST contending teams would take a major hit if their #1 WR got hurt. The jets aren’t alone there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

In other words, beyond the three teams I listed, there are NONE that have an elite WR #2. Good. Glad that is settled.

now, the other big thing you are ignoring is the other side of the ball. While the jets are certainly not one of the three teams to have multiple elite WRs, they ARE one of the only teams to have two elite corners.

the argument for the Jets is that they have balance. They have a chance to have a very good defense, and for the first time since 2015, a very good offense. 
 

Having more than one Garret Wilson level WR would be wonderful, but it’s a luxury, not a necessity. That’s the point. 
 
as I have repeatedly pointed out, MOST contending teams would take a major hit if their #1 WR got hurt. The jets aren’t alone there. 

IMO - If the Jets want to be a serious Super Bowl they do not have the offensive fire power to be serious about it.

That's all I and others are saying.  

People point to WR because they are typical weapons.  Get me an elite TE or RB like McCefefry (I have no idea what Hall is right now) and I would be fine too.    The top Super Bowl contenders have that (which I listed above)

Lastly, If you think they are fine with G. Wilson and bunch of Jags - fine, stick with that.  I don't agree.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

IMO - If the Jets want to be a serious Super Bowl they do not have the offensive fire power to be serious about it.

That's all I and others are saying.  

People point to WR because they are typical weapons.  Get me an elite TE or RB like McCefefry (I have no idea what Hall is right now) and I would be fine too.    The top Super Bowl contenders have that (which I listed above)

Lastly, If you think they are fine with G. Wilson and bunch of Jags - fine, stick with that.  I don't agree.

 

Incidentally, the Jets are 6th in Super Bowl odds, right behind the 5 teams you listed. Or, in other words, right behind the final 4 in the NFL last year + the Bills. 
 

If Rodgers is still Rodgers, our offense will be just fine.
 

Now find me the teams that have a better overall combination of defense and offense. It’s not a big list. that’s what I’m saying. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...