Here's my Top 20 Prospects for the Jets in the 4th round

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

OT DAWAND JONES

Dawand Jones was a potential first-round pick, but he remains on the board after Day 2. Reports were that his pro day put off personnel people in a big way. He didn’t step on the scales, looked significantly heavier than he had been at the scouting combine and seems to have teams concerned about his work ethic and weight management. Jones may have taken himself from being a potential first-round starter into a Day 3 roll of the dice.

He and Becton would be great influences on each other!

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

OT DAWAND JONES

Dawand Jones was a potential first-round pick, but he remains on the board after Day 2. Reports were that his pro day put off personnel people in a big way. He didn’t step on the scales, looked significantly heavier than he had been at the scouting combine and seems to have teams concerned about his work ethic and weight management. Jones may have taken himself from being a potential first-round starter into a Day 3 roll of the dice.

4th round is the time to roll the dice on a guy like this.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Lith said:

I don't see Jones as a realistic pick for us.  We like athletic linemen who can move.  That is not Jones.  Similar size as Becton, but Becton could move pretty well.  I would be shocked if we took Jones. 

Just looking how the draft fell last night, I would not be surprised if we took a safety.  Its a need for us and guys like Antonio Johnson from A&M, Chris Smith, JL Skinner as well as Ringo could be nice fits for us, it is a huge need with a clear path to the field this season.  A 4th round OT is not likely to see the field this year barring another injury riddles season like the last one.

So, you’ve given up any hope of Ashtyn stepping up and taking that FS position? I’ve been pulling for the kid, but if by year 3 with those physical gifts, you can’t supplant the Joyner’s of the world , then time for new players

10 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

We pick 10th.  Way more than 10 good players on the board.  Jets are in a position to go best player available.  Who knows what their board looks like?

I love the Northwestern DT but he might be 1st off the board tomorrow.  I love LSU WR Boutte, but he has an injury history and his stock is plummeting, but if he is healthy, he's awesome.  Also LOVE LOVE LOVE the Pitt RB, but do we need a RB?  There is value for us at DT, WR, RB, and Safety

1. Adetomiwa Adebawore DT NORTHWESTERN ★★★★★
  2. Kelee Ringo CB GEORGIA ★★★★★
  3. Kayshon Boutte WR LSU ★★★★★ (injury concerns)
  4. Tyler Scott WR CINCINNATI ★★★★
  5. Israel Abanikanda RB PITTSBURGH ★★★★
  6. Dawand Jones OT OHIO STATE ★★★★
  7. Jakorian Bennett CB MARYLAND ★★★
  8. Blake Freeland OT BYU ★★★
  9. Jaquelin Roy DT LSU ★★★
  10. A.T. Perry WR WAKE FOREST ★★★
  11. Parker Washington WR PENN STATE ★★★
  12. Henry To'o'To'o LB ALABAMA ★★★
  13. Antonio Johnson S TEXAS A&M ★★
  14. JL Skinner S BOISE STATE ★★
  15. Cameron Young  DT MISSISSIPPI STATE ★★
  16. Owen Pappoe LB AUBURN ★★
  17. Anthony Johnson Jr. S IOWA STATE ★★
  18. Terell Smith  CB MINNESOTA ★★
  19. Clark Phillips III  CB UTAH ★★
  20. Zach Evans RB MISSISSIPPI ★★
  21. Roschon Johnson RB TEXAS ★★

Thanks for the time you put into all the lists you make Sarge.

• Upvote 4

My guess is that they go LB or Safety in the 4th here and if Warren McClendon falls to them in the 5th, they'll run the card up for him.

He fits all the traits JD likes in a player - three year starter, team captain, incredibly hard worker.   If they're at the point where they're looking at another developmental OT Max Mitchell, then he's the guy - but in the 5th.

I think I'm programmed to want nothing to do with Jones since to this point it's always been the idea of drafting him with a 1st round trade down or in the 2nd.  I'd definitely be more open to it in the 4th, but still his size kinda of puts me off.  I think I'd rather go with Skinner at S or a LB like Pace Jr.  If he's still there in the 5th, sure.  I think one of those picks should be a developmental OL pick, whether it's an OT like Jones or an OG we can try to develop into Tomlinson's replacement in 2024.

I think my last pick though would be a WR.  I'm really hoping for Charlie Jones.  I like this kid a lot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Kelee Ringo.  Move him to safety.  He is a ballhawk.  I thought it was nuts when people had him as a top 3 CB in this class, but 4th round and move him to safety, I think he would be a great pick.   Value meeting need.

Completely agree with you that Ringo was WAY overrated.  I'm having trouble projecting him as a success in the NFL.  Everyone loves the size and speed, but he's stiff and penalty prone.  I don't think he'll make it as a cover corner against pro route runners.  I thought about whether he has the right disposition for safety.  He was a willing tackler in man coverage, and in obvious run support when 1-on-1, but when it came to a crowd, he always seemed too willing to stand by and let someone else do the hitting.  On top of that, saw him whiff way too many times on plays in the open field.  He doesn't have safety tackling instincts.  Chris Smith is a better prospect.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I don't see Jones as a realistic pick for us.  We like athletic linemen who can move.  That is not Jones.  Similar size as Becton, but Becton could move pretty well.  I would be shocked if we took Jones. 

Just looking how the draft fell last night, I would not be surprised if we took a safety.  Its a need for us and guys like Antonio Johnson from A&M, Chris Smith, JL Skinner as well as Ringo could be nice fits for us, it is a huge need with a clear path to the field this season.  A 4th round OT is not likely to see the field this year barring another injury riddles season like the last one.

And we have Max Mitchell to fill that role.  I'mintrigued by Blake Freeland though. Could be a gem if properly developed.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/blake-freeland-ot-byu-nfl-draft-scouting-report-2023/

32 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So, you’ve given up any hope of Ashtyn stepping up and taking that FS position? I’ve been pulling for the kid, but if by year 3 with those physical gifts, you can’t supplant the Joyner’s of the world , then time for new players

He had 13 defensive snaps last year -- that says a lot about what the CS thinks of him.  And he is due $3M with only $300K guaranteed this year.  Draft a day 3 safety who can play specials with more upside on defense and save the $2.7M.  There is a reason he only played 13 snaps on D last year.  Although he did make the most of those snaps with a pick to seal the win against Cleveland.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, rbstern said:

Completely agree with you that Ringo was WAY overrated.  I'm having trouble projecting him as a success in the NFL.  Everyone loves the size and speed, but he's stiff and penalty prone.  I don't think he'll make it as a cover corner against pro route runners.  I thought about whether he has the right disposition for safety.  He was a willing tackler in man coverage, and in obvious run support when 1-on-1, but when it came to a crowd, he always seemed too willing to stand by and let someone else do the hitting.  On top of that, saw him whiff way too many times on plays in the open field.  He doesn't have safety tackling instincts.  Chris Smith is a better prospect.

Ringo is a much better athlete than Smith.  I completely agree with you about RIngo's coverage skills.  He got torched repeatedly when he went up against NFL prospect WRs.  But he is such a much better athlete than Smith.  For a day 3 pick I would prefer to go with the upside of Ringo than the higher floor, but lower ceiling of Smith.

• Upvote 1

Calling my shot: Jets will pick DeWayne McBride in the fourth. I would pick Chandler Zavala myself, but they’re already loaded up with guards. The problem with the receivers left on the board is that the Jets already have a better version of these guys on the roster. They could take Tyler Scott, but they already have Mecole Hardman. They could take AT Perry, but they already have Mims. Same thing with the tight ends. Any team that needs an OT or an EDGE guy is doomed today. I would love it if they traded Zach somewhere (to San Francisco for Kinlaw?), and took a QB in 5.

10 minutes ago, Lith said:

He had 13 defensive snaps last year -- that says a lot about what the CS thinks of him.  And he is due $3M with only $300K guaranteed this year.  Draft a day 3 safety who can play specials with more upside on defense and save the $2.7M.  There is a reason he only played 13 snaps on D last year.  Although he did make the most of those snaps with a pick to seal the win against Cleveland.

Now I understand why he never jumped out to me during games. Wasted 3rd. But it was during the scouting switchover after MacDaddy

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Calling my shot: Jets will pick DeWayne McBride in the fourth. I would pick Chandler Zavala myself, but they’re already loaded up with guards. The problem with the receivers left on the board is that the Jets already have a better version of these guys on the roster. They could take Tyler Scott, but they already have Mecole Hardman. They could take AT Perry, but they already have Mims. Same thing with the tight ends. Any team that needs an OT or an EDGE guy is doomed today. I would love it if they traded Zach somewhere (to San Francisco for Kinlaw?), and took a QB in 5.

McBride over Abanikanda or Tucker?

I haven't followed much, who are the RB's we're linked to?

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Calling my shot: Jets will pick DeWayne McBride in the fourth.

4 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

McBride over Abanikanda or Tucker?

I haven't followed much, who are the RB's we're linked to?

I am never issuing a draft take again. I am the worst. I am the wrongest guy. I suck.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I am never issuing a draft take again. I am the worst. I am the wrongest guy. I suck.

It's cool, bro.

In what turned out to be the Jets best draft ever, I was pounding the table for Jermaine Johnson II - who we just replaced with a car-leaping Slender Man @ pick 15 a year later. 

Nobody knows sh*t.

• Post of the Week 1