Israel Abanikanda, RB (No. 143)

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Round 5

No. 143: Israel Abanikanda, RB, Pitt

How he fits: Zack Rosenblatt’s analysis

The Jets are confident Breece Hall will return to form at some point this season, but history hasn’t been kind to running backs in their first season back after an ACL tear. So drafting Abanikanda was a decision that made a lot of sense, since he can help while Hall returns to form. Abanikanda ran a 4.44-second 40-yard dash and scored 20 rushing touchdowns for Pittsburgh last year.

Dane Brugler’s analysis

A two-year starter at Pittsburgh, Abanikanda was the featured weapon in offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti Jr.’s balanced run attack. After a pass-heavy offense with quarterback Kenny Pickett and former coordinator Mark Whipple, Pitt dedicated the offense to the run game in 2022, and Abanikanda responded with a career-year, finishing No. 2 in the FBS in all-purpose yards (164.1 per game).

Gotta like getting more home run hitters

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, doitny said:

Carter is going to be good this year. now that we have a QB that can throw it anywhere the defense cant stack the box like they used to. Carter is RB1 until Hall gets back. Bam at 2 and TY and this kid will fight for RB3

TY was released. 

• Upvote 4

I love that they’re focusing on home run hitters in the backfield instead of three yards and a cloud of dust guys. Teams average more yards per attempt throwing it, so it’s nice to have those big play threats when you’re handing it off.

Figure they’re not sure when Hall is going to be healthy so this is insurance and a little pop.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, doitny said:

Carter is going to be good this year. now that we have a QB that can throw it anywhere the defense cant stack the box like they used to. Carter is RB1 until Hall gets back. Bam at 2 and TY and this kid will fight for RB3

I like Carter, but he definitely has to make sure to stay healthy and dominate in camp, cuz if he lets this guy get on the field and he has one long run, he might have a problem 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Not so much the top speed, which is good, but he did get caught from behind a few times, but his acceleration to that top gear is incredibly fast.  I also suspect Pitt had a very good OLine because he had some holes to work with. 

the top speed is definitely there. He's long strider though and reminds me a bit of Reggie Bush's galloping stride. He's also a bit upright in his carries and reminds me of Alvin Kamara, who I think is the better comp.

Doesn't look like they are going fast but both 4.3 at 40 yards:

Bush 4.39

Izzy 4.37

Both also similarly explosive:

Bush 40.4 vert / 1008 Broad

Izzy 41 vert / 1008 Broad

Also Alvin Kamara:

Kamara 39.5 vert / 1011 Broad

and acceleration:

Kamara 1.55 10 yard split / 2.61 20 yard 

Izzy 1.54 10 yard / 2.56 20 yard 

and short area quickness (shuttle/3-cone):

Kamara 4.35/7.1

Izzy 4.32/7.14

He does run too upright, isn't great laterally, lacks some vision, and apparently can't pass pro

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, derp said:

I love that they’re focusing on home run hitters in the backfield instead of three yards and a cloud of dust guys. Teams average more yards per attempt throwing it, so it’s nice to have those big play threats when you’re handing it off.

Figure they’re not sure when Hall is going to be healthy so this is insurance and a little pop.

JD seemingly learned his lesson from the La'Mical Perine pick.  You don't use midround picks on guys with a Bilal Powell ceiling.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

JD seemingly learned his lesson from the La'Mical Perine pick.  You don't use midround picks on guys with a Bilal Powell ceiling.

Not any more, at least.

Will be fun to see what the returns this year are like. Five day three picks, and thus far the best ones he’s had are probably Micheal Clemons, Michael Carter, and Michael Carter II. Really some version of Michael/Micheal C is his day three wheelhouse.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

when Breece is back to full health . this combo gonna be dangerous. both back are capable of housing it from anywhere ....  there will be no speed breaks for defenses .. 

now that teams actually have to worry about rodgers beating them deep, the screens to the rbs become that much more dangerous.  I wouldn’t mind seeing carter in the slot sometimes as well.  Rodgers loves those quick ones 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

now that teams actually have to worry about rodgers beating them deep, the screens to the rbs become that much more dangerous.  I wouldn’t mind seeing carter in the slot sometimes as well.  Rodgers loves those quick ones 

I thought the Jets O was most effective when both Breece and MC were in backfield together last year.

9 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Holy crap never seen this kid play the dude is quick AF

I definitely think this was a position of need for this team too.  We're all hoping that Breece gets back to form but there are no guarantees.  As Jerry Glanville once said, the NFL stands for "Not For Long".

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I definitely think this was a position of need for this team too.  We're all hoping that Breece gets back to form but there are no guarantees.  As Jerry Glanville once said, the NFL stands for "Not For Long".

Plus, what if say, carter were injured in TC.  

When they cut TJ before the draft you knew RB would be addressed. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Augustiniak said:

Plus, what if say, carter were injured in TC.  

When they cut TJ before the draft you knew RB would be addressed. 

I'm happy at how well it was addressed.  This kid looks like a player.  We were really exposed last year once Breece went down.  At least we've got what looks to be a viable option behind him now.