Thank you Florida Panthers!

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

cut.jpg

Remember Gilles Villemure the goalie we got from Chicago to back up Giacomin? When he retired he became a harness racing driver at Yonkers, Roosevelt and up in Canada.

It didn’t go to well for him I guess. My buddies and I were friends with another driver named Tom Merriman, and when he found out I was a big Ranger fan he took me to a bar in Westbury just outside Roosevelt Raceway called the Winners Circle where Gilles worked.

It was a sports fans heaven. Almost all the drivers hung out there, along with some of the Islanders and the Nets (who were a Long Island team back then. Even a few old Rangers would stop in to see him, but the guy was in bad shape financially. Sad to see.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Arguably the best regular season team in NHL history.

I think you can take arguably out of that sentence buddy.
They might not have been as fun to watch as the 80’s Edmonton Oiler or “Flying Frenchmen” Canadians teams, but they had the best record (in an unbelievably talented conference no less.)

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

They were not better than the Montreal Canadians imo.  They play 2 more games now and back in Montreals great year there was no overtime and shootouts.

Excellent point, on second thought I think I will have to agree.

I guess I’m old school, because I’m not a fan of OT and shootouts in the regular season. I get that a lot of people want to see “a winner”, but just take the point and move on.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I still hate them for ruining the game with that damned “trap” they used to win their cups. (The goalie didn’t hurt either) They were the most boring good team I’ve ever seen play hockey.

You know what’s crazy is I used to know Ken Daneyko and he hated you too.

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I think you can take arguably out of that sentence buddy.
They might not have been as fun to watch as the 80’s Edmonton Oiler or “Flying Frenchmen” Canadians teams, but they had the best record (in an unbelievably talented conference no less.)

I'm not nearly enough of a hockey fan to make such a definitive statement so I left it open to debate, lol.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I remember Sunday nights at my grandparents house after Sunday dinner, sitting outside on the cold balcony of their apartment in Brooklyn listening to Marv Albert call the games on a transistor radio with my cousin.

Eddie, Hadfield, Neilson, Ratelle, Gilbert, Goyette, Kurtenbach, and then the two “kids” came up, Brad Park and Walter Tzachuk.

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

That Devils goaltender was shutting them down. Then suddenly, Rangers started shooting high and bingo. They were peppering him like a pinata.  LETS GO RANGERS!!!!! I remember watching the Rangers when I was just a little smurf around 5 or so on a black and white tv on local tv when Eddie Giacomin was the golatender.  It was the first sport I fell in love with and played in the street.  My blood is red and blue, orange and blue and white and green. 

I remember writing fan letters to various Ranger players during Mrs Sheridan class when I was in fourth grade to a number of Rangers players. A few weeks went by and one day I came home from school and my mother handed me an envelope with return address of the Rangers. I opened it up and Rod Gilbert had sent me a 5 x 7 autographed black and white photo of himself you can imagine how excited this 9-10 year old child was. Fast forward about 15 years when I am walking down Madison Ave and who is walking towards me yep it’s Rod freaking Gilbert. Stop him in the street and say hello and related the story of the autographed photo he sent me and man he couldn’t have been more gracious and accommodating. What a great guy. 
To this day 55-56 years later Rod Gilbert is still my all time favorite Ranger and always will be. RIP Rod and thank you 

PS   @Maynard13@Green GhostYou guys are freaking old?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Old? Perhaps. Anyways I remember when tv stations used to sign off at 3 am, play the Star Spangle Banner and go black. This was a real thing. Not making it up. But The Rangers hold a special place with me. Gilbert, Ratelle, Hadfield. And they were pretty good back then in the 60’s. And if you think the Jets break your heart, it’s no comparison to the Rangers. But alas, 93/94 was spectacular. They are quite entertaining now. Still finding their way but they’re close. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  Arguably the best regular season team in NHL history.

Could’ve, should’ve, would’ve. They’ll now go down as an interesting afterthought or at best a good trivia question because they didn’t finish the job.

Just goes to show how little the regular season means. 
good luck both New York area teams ( I have no dog in this fight)

• Upvote 1