Kayak Fishing

Anyone here kayak fish or just fish in general?

I bought a Hobie Outback last year and used it for local bass fishing as well as some saltwater fishing in Narragansett Bay. It's really a lot of fun, plus good exercise. Total money pit though. Once you start adding stuff it adds up quickly!fe66b7f88b248d1117185c231a33b75d.jpga005236f164d6f32bf83fe00e23b1186.jpge21abf716f2a8e5d8fb5146e118eae54.jpg1b94f887183ff086f2e2bccc0d331d19.jpg

• Upvote 3

Nice doormats!

I have a 15 foot skiff that I never get to take out due to life. When Im lazy Ill drive to the bridge for snappers.

I have been thinking about a kayak or even one of them 9.4 ft sun dolphin dingy s where i can just keep it in the garage and throw it in the back of my pickup. Id like to do bigger snappers and some redfish/snook/sheepshead (porgy)

• Upvote 1

Nice doormats!
I have a 15 foot skiff that I never get to take out due to life. When Im lazy Ill drive to the bridge for snappers.

I have been thinking about a kayak or even one of them 9.4 ft sun dolphin dingy s where i can just keep it in the garage and throw it in the back of my pickup. Id like to do bigger snappers and some redfish/snook/sheepshead (porgy)
Those fluke were super tasty!

I put my kayak in the back of my pickup. I have a 6.5 bed and I can secure two Hobies fairly easily. The Outback isn't light though. It's 85 pounds but I've added some options that puts it closer to 90. But it really handles the water well. Hobie makes a great kayak, especially for fishing.

Just googled it and 4 grand for a KAYAK?????
They aren't cheap but it's not your typical kayak. I can stand up and sight fish in it. It's pedal driven. It has tons of storage and 4 rod holders. And you can fish places you can't with a boat. Money well spend for me.
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Just googled it and 4 grand for a KAYAK?????

Yep.  My stepson bought one and then as @bicketybam suggested, he threw a bunch of money at it. Extra storage for the fish, electronics, some kind of weird system to lift it onto his Subaru.  Really nice set up, but it is kind of difficult to deal with - taking up space in the garage and hard to lug to and from the water, even with the little cart wheel set up he had.  I was used to those little plastic kayaks that you could throw through the beams to the attic in the garage.  He had more money in it than I do in my Jeep.  Then he bought a Jeep. . .

You can fish off a 300 dollar walmart kayak. Thats the low end. The OP has a high end one
Hobie also makes an entry level fishing kayak. Money wasn't really an issue for me so I got what I wanted. I even put a $1000 GPS/Fish finder in it. You only live once.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/2/2023 at 7:57 AM, bicketybam said:

I'm going to try and target stripers this year. I've spent countless hours studying all the Skinner videos and I have a variety of bucktails that should get the job done.

This guy was a local that I knew that moved south when his channel picked up (living in NYC is getting ridiculous for money matters and other things too).

You might pick up stuff. He knew what he was doing. He has the instincts.

• Sympathy 1

This guy was a local that I knew that moved south when his channel picked up (living in NYC is getting ridiculous for money matters and other things too).
You might pick up stuff. He knew what he was doing. He has the instincts.

Thanks. I subbed his channel. I will definitely check him out.
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 8:40 AM, OilfieldJet said:

I use mine in Galveston bay, red fish, flounder and speckled trout. Fun and good exercise.

I’d like to head over there some time to fish to see how it is.  I’m building a little setup for the Corpus/ Port Aransas area.  

I’ve wade fished for a couple years and looking forward to covering way more areas per trip.  I shuffled up / kicked a bunch of sting Rays last time and couldn’t help but think it was a matter of time before I was going get barbed the way i was doing it lol.  

48 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

I’d like to head over there some time to fish to see how it is.  I’m building a little setup for the Corpus/ Port Aransas area.  

I’ve wade fished for a couple years and looking forward to covering way more areas per trip.  I shuffled up / kicked a bunch of sting Rays last time and couldn’t help but think it was a matter of time before I was going get barbed the way i was doing it lol.  

Fishing up here isn’t quite as good as Port Aransas, in spots, yes, but generally better there. What kind of setup? And hell yes I’d steer clear of those rays.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 10:08 PM, HighPitch said:

Hmmm can u clear that up

Not sure what you mean?  I thought i was pretty clear.  Grew up a mile from lake erie.  Was forced to be on the water way too much.  Hate boating, kayaking, canoeing, swimming, fishing, or anything else having to do with bodies of water or the sand next to it.  

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

Not sure what you mean?  I thought i was pretty clear.  Grew up a mile from lake erie.  Was forced to be on the water way too much.  Hate boating, kayaking, canoeing, swimming, fishing, or anything else having to do with bodies of water or the sand next to it.  

Ok thought u were being silly. Its rare to have a bad association with water growing up but it happens i guess