Robertson to play NT in the 3-4...TSN

According to TSN (The Sporting News) that I was reading tonight after work it had this to say about the Jets:

"The JETS will run a multiple-front defense. When they use a 3-4, the nose tackle will be Dewayne Robertson, who gets the job by default. Roberston has the size (6'1, 317) and strength to play the nose, but he's better suited to a 4-3 role in which he shoots gaps and gets upfield. Coach Eric Mangini seems intent on making a gradual transition to the 3-4."

Interesting.

With the signing of Pope is the likely hood of Watson or Wright at 29 or 35 decreasing?

According to TSN (The Sporting News) that I was reading tonight after work it had this to say about the Jets:

"The JETS will run a multiple-front defense. When they use a 3-4, the nose tackle will be Dewayne Robertson, who gets the job by default. Roberston has the size (6'1, 317) and strength to play the nose, but he's better suited to a 4-3 role in which he shoots gaps and gets upfield. Coach Eric Mangini seems intent on making a gradual transition to the 3-4."

Interesting.

With the signing of Pope is the likely hood of Watson or Wright at 29 or 35 decreasing?

This is all speculation. D rob may play alil NT, but it will not be his primary position.

This is all speculation. D rob may play alil NT, but it will not be his primary position.

I don't think he was particularly good at "shooting the gaps" either in the first place. Eventually we will be free of that albatross of a contract.

I think that the Jets will try to grab a true NT at some point during the draft. Look for Robertson to get dealt next year for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. That is unless he gets in shape and plays well this year.

Again, most of these guys who write these articles have no concept of what the Jets want to do. The key word/phrases Mangini keeps emphasizing are players who have flexibilty in their playing abilities and the Jets defense will be dictated by what the opposing offense presents in the general game planning and the immediate formation shown on the field. Therefore, you need guys who can transition into multiple formations or have specific roles for certain players who have a certain talent.

If Robertson is sent out to play NT in the 3-4 for a presumed play, but the Jets audible because they see something in the offense formation that will create a mismatch ,ie. for Robertson, they then switch Robertson over to DE or trasition into a 4-3. If a mismatch is created it creates an opportunity for Robertson to succeed. He has that athletic flexibilty that Mangini is looking for in his players.

LOL.

Isnt Robertsons knee bone on bone? He has 3 yrs left, 1 if he plays the nose in a 3-4.

Is bone on bone the same thing as bowling bowl on butchers knife? I think that was the exact medical description.

"Should have been" as determined by who?

Certainly not the people who make the selections.

DO you have some personal vandetta against D rob?

What does it matter that some of us believe he should have made the pro bowl 2 seasons ago? I'm not even sure how its relevant to you, as you arent even a fan of the team he plays for.

Whether you want to believe it or not, D rob was very very good 2 seasons ago. Marty Schottenheimer and Bill Cowher(IE 2 playoff coaches from that season) were very very high on him and offered many compliments post game. When you watch the tape on him(which I have, many of times) he was very disruptive shooting the gaps and really collapsed the pocket in his pass rush.

He obviously took a step back last year, and he will need to bounce back. But the talent and past success is there for him to go back top being a very good player.

DO you have some personal vandetta against D rob?

What does it matter that some of us believe he should have made the pro bowl 2 seasons ago?

Because Jet fans (not all) greatly oversetimate how good their players are.

DFat is a perfect example.

He was not a Pro Bowl player 2 years ago no matter how much you "think" he was.

Than I suggest you go back and watch the tape from 2 seasons ago, b/c D rob had a very very good year. In fact, I recall him having an outstanding game at Foxboro, in which afterwards many Pats fans came to the message boards and were very high on D rob's performance.

I'm not one to inflate stock of Jet player's. But I will always defend a player that gets a bad name, when it isn't neccessary. D rob is a prime example.

And who better to judge the weaknesses of jets players then a patsy homer who hates the jets LOL

Drob a NT? BWAHAHAHA!! I thought Herm was in KC now. Vilma might as well just lie his scronny a$$ on the ground and save the 3 o lineman that will be coming at him every play the trouble.

I think mangini knows a little more about who can play NT then you or any other patsy homer trying to rag on the jets.

Again, most of these guys who write these articles have no concept of what the Jets want to do. The key word/phrases Mangini keeps emphasizing are players who have flexibilty in their playing abilities and the Jets defense will be dictated by what the opposing offense presents in the general game planning and the immediate formation shown on the field. Therefore, you need guys who can transition into multiple formations or have specific roles for certain players who have a certain talent.

If Robertson is sent out to play NT in the 3-4 for a presumed play, but the Jets audible because they see something in the offense formation that will create a mismatch ,ie. for Robertson, they then switch Robertson over to DE or trasition into a 4-3. If a mismatch is created it creates an opportunity for Robertson to succeed. He has that athletic flexibilty that Mangini is looking for in his players.

particularly since they have van Ohlhoefen--who has played some nose as well as DE in a 3-4. So it will present no problems for him. Slide a big LB up to rush from the DE and there you have it.

I think mangini knows a little more about who can play NT then you or any other patsy homer trying to rag on the jets.

We'll see. Just don't be surprised when there are holes in the middle of your D line so big that even Corey Dillon can get through them.

Archived