Bill Belichick Reportedly Tried To Screw Over 1 NFL Franchise - THE JETS

36 minutes ago, football guy said:

As much as I hate the pats I don't buy that he purposefully traded down to spite the Jets. They smartly surveyed the board knowing that one of the players they wanted would fall to them (reportedly liked Banks too) while picking up an additional 4th rounder in a draft that's strength was the 2nd-4th rounds. PIT wasn't taking a CB, Jets weren't taking a CB, and it was one of the worst kept secrets that WAS was taking Forbes. I think this had more to do with them taking pennies on the dollar because they knew they would get their guy anyway rather than purposefully spiting us. If anything, WMD is more to a threat to his team than Broderick Jones would be 

And I'm not a scout - safe to say that both B. Jones and W. Carter both need some seasoning...The primarily difference between B. Jones and W. Carter is that Jones ceiling is alot higher?  But Carter can still be a solid LT for many yrs.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Take this for what it is worth but Daniel Jeremiah on his podcast yesterday said Jets were targeting McDonald all along and would have taken him even if Broderick Jones was there. 

That’s a fat out lie!

Just take one look at the war room replay the entire room was in panic mode scrambling.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

That’s a fat out lie!

Just take one look at the war room replay the entire room was in panic mode scrambling.

Side note here:  I don't like the live war room cams before the pick has been announced.

I knew it was a defensive player (and not JSN) when it showed Ulbrich and Whitecotton hugging Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  Screwing us may have been an added bonus, but I find it hard to believe that he would make any trade where the primary goal is not to improve his team.

Yeah, his Grinch smile might have been extra wide b/c the team he traded up with "screwed" the Jets, but doesn't he have a history of trading back in the first round?

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

link?

They looked like they were high-fiving like every other war room ever. 

You saw the part where they made the puck not sure which feed you watched.

After Jones got picked they went live to the Jets war room like 2 minutes later Jets had 8 minutes on the clock and the entire room looked lost panicked upset and silent.

They had no clue what to do they worked the phones until the last second to trade out and then couldn’t because JD didn’t understand a 4th was good comp to drop back a few picks in this putrid draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

After Jones got picked they went live to the Jets war room like 2 minutes later Jets had 8 minutes on the clock and the entire room looked lost panicked upset and silent.

They had no clue what to do they worked the phones until the last second to trade out and then couldn’t because JD didn’t understand a 4th was good comp to drop back a few picks in this putrid draft.

If you say so, I don't remember any look of "panic" but that is subjective, I suppose. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Pittsburgh was jumping us for the last tackle whether we were picking 13 or 15.  The only difference is they probably saved quite a few shekels moving two spots and dealing with a Jets hater than if they had to move up 5 spots and deal with a neutral third party.   In either case we weren't getting Jones, we simply didn't have the draft capital this year to compete.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Here's the ultimate karma scenario ...

• BB traded with Pitt to screw us out of an OT. Picked up a 4th rounder to do so
  • Later on he traded up in the 4th to grab a kicker, trading us the 4th he got from Pitt in the earlier trade
  • With that trade we picked ... an OT (Carter Warren)

Karma DEMANDS that Warren has a far more impactful part to play for us than Jones does for Pitt. Make it so JD. :D 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Barkus said:

Take this for what it is worth but Daniel Jeremiah on his podcast yesterday said Jets were targeting McDonald all along and would have taken him even if Broderick Jones was there. 

Along those lines, Saleh did say when asked why they took him that high and maybe didn’t try to trade down”that we had our #1 rated pass rusher in the draft staring us in the face..”

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barkus said:

The BB gets a fail in trying to screw the Jets.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

Here's the ultimate karma scenario ...

• BB traded with Pitt to screw us out of an OT. Picked up a 4th rounder to do so
  • Later on he traded up in the 4th to grab a kicker, trading us the 4th he got from Pitt in the earlier trade
  • With that trade we picked ... an OT (Carter Warren)

Karma DEMANDS that Warren has a far more impactful part to play for us than Jones does for Pitt. Make it so JD. :D 

And that McDonald blocks one of their kicker's FG attempts.

• Sympathy 1

• If Jones ends up being a very good OT/LT and WMD an undersized part-time edge rusher, and Becton is either not good or playing somewhere else in 2024, this trade down will not go down well.
  • I think it is likely that the Packers could have gotten Van Ness at 15 and not 13.
  • If in the end WMD works out and the Jets threw the Packers a bone with the trade flip, got who they wanted and saved a little money, maybe the Jets win.  
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

And that McDonald blocks one of their kicker's FG attempts.
I never actually thought of whether he'll play specials ... That wingspan and vertical jump would certainly be very useful!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I don't think Broderick Jones is a difference maker -- or a slam dunk prospect -- so from that POV, I don't think it's a massive missed opportunity, but this laughable.

The Jets drained the pick clock down to under 1 or 2 mins.  Which means they were either indecisive or working the phones for a trade down.

If they were targeting the car jumper "all along" they would have turned in the card within 10s just like BB did with McCorkle.

My thought (after I heard the name of who we picked) was that they were trying to call him (WMD) to tell him and couldn't get him because he never expected to get picked in the 1st round lol.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

It’s weird how a team would want to put a division rival at a disadvantage. Why would they want to do that? ?

There is a difference.  Putting a team in your division at a disadvantage while benefitting your own team is what every team should be doing.  But, if you are putting down a team in your division at a disadvantage while at the same time not benefitting your own team,  is personal, and screwing with the opposing team.

Did the Patriots feel that they beneffited their own team by making the trade with Pittsburgh?  Or, did the Patriots make that trade more to screw with the Jets?  

That is the question.

Either way, it really doesn't matter.  If the Patriots hurt themselves in the long run by making that trade, then that in effect would benefit the Jets indirectly.  And the Jets have to know that by trading first round picks with Green Bay, they are moving behind the Patriots, so, they needed to be prepared for the possibility of New England making the trade that they did.  

In the end, if MacDonald becomes a very good player, then the Patriots will end up screwing themselves.  

• WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 1

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

And I'm not a scout - safe to say that both B. Jones and W. Carter both need some seasoning...The primarily difference between B. Jones and W. Carter is that Jones ceiling is alot higher?  But Carter can still be a solid LT for many yrs.

Jones is a freak; his upside is unlimited and the way you can use him is kind of like how guys like Tyron Smith, Trent Williams, Terron Armstead, Tristan Wirfs, Lane Johnson, Christian Darrisaw, etc. have been if he were to reach his full potential. Just incredibly strong, incredibly athletic, incredibly explosive, incredibly fluid with his movements, and if coached up he can be an impact player as a run blocker and pass blocker in a variety of different ways... basically a difference maker. 

Warren is a good athlete but he's not to that same level. If he reached his absolute ceiling he's probably more like a knock-off Ronnie Stanley type who winds up being a very good pass protector due to his footwork, hand usage, and technique but average as a run blocker. Not particularly strong or explosive but good athlete in terms of foot quickness, body control, and use of length to be a good-to-great "one-on-one" pass blocker, but probably not making many plays downfield or in space. I think his realistic career outcome is somewhere between Jermon Bushrod and Yodny Cajuste... not "special" but can become a reliable-to-high end versatile starter, with the low end of the spectrum being a career backup/spot-starter

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I really need the Jets to beat the Patriots by 40 this year.

And McDonald to have 3 sacks on Mac Jones and then another one or two on Zappe after Jones limps off the field.

That would be justice.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

You said it yourself… He made the trade with them a day later, didn’t he?

Yes, and I wasn't happy, but it gained an extra pick in an area of the draft where quantity starts becoming a quality. Again, I was cursing at the screen when he made a trade with him, but if the extra pick meant they got two guys they wanted instead of one then I'll roll with it knowing that BB* can't draft for sh*t anyway. Even if JD somehow never noticed BB* is a shady **** he knew after pick 14.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

That's exactly how I saw it.  I was sure we were going to get the Jets trade announcement after seeing Douglas glued to his phone well into our pick clock time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Beerfish said:

That's exactly how I saw it.  I was sure we were going to get the Jets trade announcement after seeing Douglas glued to his phone well into our pick clock time.

anyone have a link to that segment?  I didn't see it and there is discrepancy on the board as to what was seen.