What are the Jets weaknesses? Where did we improve?

For context, last year we were still a deeply flawed team .. especially on Offense

1. Starting QB w/ the YIPS

2. Robotic OC who lost the locker room

3. Scoring on opening drives 

4. Red zone offense

5. Short yardage run game

6. Offensive line depth

7. Playmakers on offense not named Wilson, Hall 

8. Punter … don’t make me say his name :(

9. Safeties:  Deep zone & missed tackles

10. Linebackers:  Covering Tight Ends

11. Creating turnovers 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

For context, last year we were still a deeply flawed team .. especially on Offense

1. Starting QB w/ the YIPS

2. Robotic OC who lost the locker room

3. Scoring on opening drives 

4. Red zone offense

5. Short yardage run game

6. Offensive line depth

7. Playmakers on offense not named Wilson, Hall 

8. Punter … don’t make me say his name :(

9. Safeties:  Deep zone & missed tackles

10. Linebackers:  Covering Tight Ends

11. Creating turnovers 

If we had aaron rodgers last year, instead of Wilson this team probably wins 10 games. Maybe 11. 

So yeah,  not deeply flawed. Can you find flaws? Sure. Every team has flaws.  Not every positron will be filled with guys like sauce and Garrett Wilson. 

• Upvote 3

Rodgers should help solve 1, 3, and 4.  Potentially 5(short yardage run game) just from defenses needing to respect what he can do throwing the ball, even in a 3rd or 4th and inches situation. 

He could also solve 7 as well.  While it appeared that we lacked playmakers outside of the truly elite guys, it's also possible that this was overblown due to how bad our QBs were at getting our receivers the ball.  An improved OL should also play a part in this as well.  It was hard for us to get anything going late last year, playing with trash at the QB position and a decimated OL.  We'll have a better idea this year of what some of these skill guys can do in a real offense:  Davis, Mims, our TEs, our RBs behind Hall.  Plus the new WR's we've brought in, Lazard and Hardman.

OL depth looks much better on paper.  A bunch of bodies at OT:  Becton, Brown, Turner, Mitchell, Warren.  Brought back our starting C as well as invested a 2nd into our C of the future.  Brought in more depth at OG.  There should be no excuses this year, but like last year:  how good this line is will depend on the health of Becton and AVT.  No matter what though, this line should never be a "disaster" based on the depth we have.

9 and 10 are the only ones I'm not sure of.  It's clear that JD and Saleh are going to be relying on youth at the LB position.  I believe they're high on at least one of Sherwood, Nas or Barnes, and expect one of them to take that last spot and provide an impact.  Still, we'll have to wait and see how that goes, and whether or not LB will remain a slight weakness.  At S we brought in Clark.  Not sure how much of an upgrade that will be.  Time will tell.  I will tell you though I love what I've seen from that kid Adams, and wouldn't be surprised to see him take a starting spot at some point during the year.  

...and as far as 11 goes, creating turnovers, you'd hope that adding McDonald will bump this number up.  I mean, that number should go up just from our young players continuing to improve, but McDonald should bring some strip-sacks, or at the very least some pressure that lead to INTs.  How much of a difference will depend on how good he is out of the gate, but the idea of Huff and McDonald being let loose on passing downs is pretty exciting.  

Oh and we'll see on the Punter.  I have no idea.  Can't be much worse though.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If we had aaron rodgers last year, instead of Wilson this team probably wins 10 games. Maybe 11. 

So yeah,  not deeply flawed. Can you find flaws? Sure. Every team has flaws.  Not every positron will be filled with guys like sauce and Garrett Wilson. 

The team was 7-5 and then quit due primarily to horrendous QB play. Without said QB play, this was easily a playoff team. Every team has flaws, it’s up to the coaches to cover them up and work around them. A franchise level QB usually helps. 

• Upvote 1

Oline should be better and deeper and healthier but still questions

QBing of course is much better.

Defense had a few issues last year.

Huge mistakes at the wrong time.  (You can play a nice game all game long but if you make stupid or brain dead plays at the wrong time that is an issue.)

Biggest flaw, lack of turnovers created.

• Upvote 1

Biggest weakness at this point is DT and OLB. When we resign Kwon and bring in a guy like Al Woods, this team will be ready to compete against any team in the NFL
Absolutely...Cleveland and Miami had a ton of success running the football... let's also take away some dumb penalties

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Most of the problems on O can be traced back to one position, the QB. That has been addressed. The problems on D were there but these weren't  the reasons we lost games the way we did. I would say covering g TE and stopping the run were highest on the list.

Tackling in the secondary was horrendous. So many long running plays because the Safeties couldn't bring the runner down. Still don't know if that area has been addressed other than Clark. Tough to say with that 6th round pick and the 2 UDFA

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Rodgers should help solve 1, 3, and 4.  Potentially 5(short yardage run game) just from defenses needing to respect what he can do throwing the ball, even in a 3rd or 4th and inches situation. 

He could also solve 7 as well.  While it appeared that we lacked playmakers outside of the truly elite guys, it's also possible that this was overblown due to how bad our QBs were at getting our receivers the ball.  An improved OL should also play a part in this as well.  It was hard for us to get anything going late last year, playing with trash at the QB position and a decimated OL.  We'll have a better idea this year of what some of these skill guys can do in a real offense:  Davis, Mims, our TEs, our RBs behind Hall.  Plus the new WR's we've brought in, Lazard and Hardman.

OL depth looks much better on paper.  A bunch of bodies at OT:  Becton, Brown, Turner, Mitchell, Warren.  Brought back our starting C as well as invested a 2nd into our C of the future.  Brought in more depth at OG.  There should be no excuses this year, but like last year:  how good this line is will depend on the health of Becton and AVT.  No matter what though, this line should never be a "disaster" based on the depth we have.

9 and 10 are the only ones I'm not sure of.  It's clear that JD and Saleh are going to be relying on youth at the LB position.  I believe they're high on at least one of Sherwood, Nas or Barnes, and expect one of them to take that last spot and provide an impact.  Still, we'll have to wait and see how that goes, and whether or not LB will remain a slight weakness.  At S we brought in Clark.  Not sure how much of an upgrade that will be.  Time will tell.  I will tell you though I love what I've seen from that kid Adams, and wouldn't be surprised to see him take a starting spot at some point during the year.  

...and as far as 11 goes, creating turnovers, you'd hope that adding McDonald will bump this number up.  I mean, that number should go up just from our young players continuing to improve, but McDonald should bring some strip-sacks, or at the very least some pressure that lead to INTs.  How much of a difference will depend on how good he is out of the gate, but the idea of Huff and McDonald being let loose on passing downs is pretty exciting.  

Oh and we'll see on the Punter.  I have no idea.  Can't be much worse though.

Excellent post!  You should post more often.

Agreed on pretty much everything.  The QB amd OC should make everyone better and lead to improvements across the board, direct and indirect.

OL has been infused with versatility and depth plus we welcome back Becton, AVT and a healthy Brown and now Tippmann.

Lazard helps in the red zone.

Hardman + the new RB we drafted add some much needed juice.

Tippmann, AVT and Becton are strong in the short yardage run game.

Adams is the big bet at FS.  The payoff could be big given his low cost and strong athletic profile.

Clark should help with tackling in the box and covering TEs..

There is a lot to like..

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Most of the problems on O can be traced back to one COACH  Lafleur. That has been addressed. The problems on D were there but these weren't  the reasons we lost games the way we did. I would say covering g TE and stopping the run were highest on the list.

Fixed

Zach and our QBs struggled because MLF was an aloof dickhead that refused to have a relationship with his QB, coach his QB, be on the sideline with his QB as was desired, adjust the scheme for his QB or adjust his playcalling. He is the worst OC we have ever had. You just cannot just blame Zach for everything and not acknowledge what a raw deal he had. And benching him destroyed the team, the season and especially Zach

Would he have still been bad with a different OC, maybe. But don't tell me coaching is not at least 50% of the equation. Lawrence was really no better than Zach before good coaching finally kicked in.

BTW late in games when we had to score and MLF opened up the offense, Zach was actually 8th in the NFL in 4th quarter QBR.

Obviously Rodgers is a gigantic upgrade. The fact that he seems to be re-energized and excited is surprising and he actually believes in and will mentor Zach.

Zach is still younger than most of the QBs drafted this year.

But LaFleur was the biggest problem on O not Zach 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Fixed

Zach and our QBs struggled because MLF was an aloof dickhead that refused to have a relationship with his QB, coach his QB, be on the sideline with his QB as was desired, adjust the scheme for his QB or adjust his playcalling. He is the worst OC we have ever had. You just cannot just blame Zach for everything and not acknowledge what a raw deal he had. And benching him destroyed the team, the season and especially Zach

Would he have still been bad with a different OC, maybe. But don't tell me coaching is not at least 50% of the equation. Lawrence was really no better than Zach before good coaching finally kicked in.

BTW late in games when we had to score and MLF opened up the offense, Zach was actually 8th in the NFL in 4th quarter QBR.

Obviously Rodgers is a gigantic upgrade. The fact that he seems to be re-energized and excited is surprising and he actually believes in and will mentor Zach.

Nice post and the bold really sums it up nicely.  So, accordingly, Zack still has a wing and a pray and might very well improve with coaching over time.  Nice fantasy but I'll sign up for it.  :)  

I think the people downplaying the WR changes are making a mistake.  Yes, Moore had more potential than these guys, but Lazard and Cobb are very good in the red zone.  Hardman isn't bad there either.  Abanikanda had 20  rushing TDs last season.  Knight had 18 in 3 years at NC State and Carter had 22 in 4 years at Carolina.  I think they saw the issue and tried to correct it. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Where have we improved over last year:

QB (dramatically)

WR (slightly - Lazrd/Hardman > Moore/Berrios)

OL (significantly)

RB

EDGE

Safety

Weaknesses: DT, LB depth, Safety depth, average TEs, question marks at OT

Yep ….  I would be more specific about DT though.  We’re stronger rushing the passer, weaker stopping the run.

Average TEs by definition is not a weakness and to be fair to them how can they be fairly judged with the QB and OC they had?  

Conklin is a mismatch against LBs and MiLF rarely tried to create these matchups.  CJ looked pretty good w/ Burrow and was a stud in the playoffs vs. great competition (before his injury)x. Not saying they are a strength by any means but we should have 2 quality TEs, an intriguing prospect in Ruckert and an athletic freak we just drafted.  

On the flip side, anyone else terrified about our backup QBs?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the people downplaying the WR changes are making a mistake.  Yes, Moore had more potential than these guys, but Lazard and Cobb are very good in the red zone.  Hardman isn't bad there either.  Abanikanda had 20  rushing TDs last season.  Knight had 18 in 3 years at NC State and Carter had 22 in 4 years at Carolina.  I think they saw the issue and tried to correct it. 

Hardman had 6 TDs in 8 games last year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Most of the problems on O can be traced back to one position, the QB. That has been addressed. The problems on D were there but these weren't  the reasons we lost games the way we did. I would say covering g TE and stopping the run were highest on the list.

Agree and hope JD is not finished yet on beefing up the DT position

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

How weak were we really at stopping the run?  They were 10th in the league in ypc.  16th in total yards and 14th in TDs.  They did kind of get gashed at the end of the season, but I don't think it is as big a need as most.  I had that perception as well, before I started looking at the numbers.  As some have said, I assume they add a vet and have offers out to Al Woods and Kwon Alexander. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Tackling in the secondary was horrendous. So many long running plays because the Safeties couldn't bring the runner down. Still don't know if that area has been addressed other than Clark. Tough to say with that 6th round pick and the 2 UDFA

If ypur S are the guys stopping the run, you better get a bunch of new LBs

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Fixed

Oh for God's sake. Say it after me

Zach Wilson sucks.

Every QB that played in MLF system  looked functional except one. 

Once again, say it

Zach Wilson Sucks

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

How weak were we really at stopping the run?  They were 10th in the league in ypc.  16th in total yards and 14th in TDs.  They did kind of get gashed at the end of the season, but I don't think it is as big a need as most.  I had that perception as well, before I started looking at the numbers.  As some have said, I assume they add a vet and have offers out to Al Woods and Kwon Alexander. 

Look less at the numbers and use your eyes.  Teams ran very effectively  against us. 

2 hours ago, slats said:

The team was 7-5 and then quit due primarily to horrendous QB play. Without said QB play, this was easily a playoff team. Every team has flaws, it’s up to the coaches to cover them up and work around them. A franchise level QB usually helps. 

Aaron rodgers is a franchise qb the same way a 1998 Lexus with 250k miles is a luxury car 

Technically the truth but way older than everything else on the road 

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Look less at the numbers and use your eyes.  Teams ran very effectively  against us. 

Eyes lie.  We kicked the living sh*t out the Pats last year and were 0-2.  I agree they could stand some help in the area, but it is not any glaring weakness.  Particularly if the team can put up 15 ******* points.  I thought they would really miss Fatukasi.  They didn't IMO.  I will be interested to see if they add anybody.  I thought for sure they would at least pick up an UDFA NT, but nothing.  I assume they have something out to Al Woods, but Woods was cut, so he can sign at any time without changing the comp pick formula.  It made sense to wait with Cobb.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The dt plan is to bump JFM and Clemons inside 

I'm concerned about that.  I'm not a big fan of this fast penetrating 280 lb DT model vs. the run.  I think our run defense was better with dudes like Foley eating up double teams for the LBs to make plays...

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Aaron rodgers is a franchise qb the same way a 1998 Lexus with 250k miles is a luxury car 

Technically the truth but way older than everything else on the road 

I remember when the 1998 Lexus won best car of the year in 2020 and ‘21. That was pretty exciting! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I'm concerned about that.  I'm not a big fan of this fast penetrating 280 lb DT model vs. the run.  I think our run defense was better with dudes like Foley eating up double teams for the LBs to make plays...

That's the thing.  People think that, but it wasn't.  Our run D was 32nd in attempts and TDs, 29th in yards and 24 in ypc in 2021.  They were 25, 16, 14 and 10th in 2022.  Some of it is just getting worn down by teams kicking our ass that are running out the clock, but still.  YPC is YPC.  That is the reason for the rotation and it is also something they are seeking to change by scoring a few points every week.  Just a few.

• Upvote 1